Your Best SGTs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Your Best SGTs

Post by avengador1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Here is another article on this issue.
http://www.disneyonwheels.com/2013/09/2 ... ance-card/

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 pm

I am reading multiple articles re:DAS and really just think nobody will know how it works until they TRY it. Wheelchair accessibility will remain the same as I hear it, so evil teenagers will still take advantage. :mad: Many parents of Autistic kids are saying how it WON'T work for their kid, so I foresee many complaints at City Hall because they had to wait for Splash Mountain or whatever, so their kid had a meltdown. Every person with Autism is different, so I do not think that every one affected will have a meltdown, but some will. The stories are so horrifying to read, that in SOME cases (putting on asbestos shield) I wonder if it is really worth it to bring someone to a place where not having everything go "perfectly" is worth the anguish and injury to their loved one,themselves,or innocent bystanders :eek:
I think that "most" will adapt, and if they can't, Disney may lose them until Disney can provide something easier for them. I think Disneyland is already too crowded, the lines are too long most days, and I am finding other things to do there besides go on rides, so my experience is also altering. :cool:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:21 am

DisneyMom wrote:I am reading multiple articles re:DAS and really just think nobody will know how it works until they TRY it. Wheelchair accessibility will remain the same as I hear it, so evil teenagers will still take advantage. :mad: Many parents of Autistic kids are saying how it WON'T work for their kid, so I foresee many complaints at City Hall because they had to wait for Splash Mountain or whatever, so their kid had a meltdown. Every person with Autism is different, so I do not think that every one affected will have a meltdown, but some will. The stories are so horrifying to read, that in SOME cases (putting on asbestos shield) I wonder if it is really worth it to bring someone to a place where not having everything go "perfectly" is worth the anguish and injury to their loved one,themselves,or innocent bystanders :eek:
I think that "most" will adapt, and if they can't, Disney may lose them until Disney can provide something easier for them. I think Disneyland is already too crowded, the lines are too long most days, and I am finding other things to do there besides go on rides, so my experience is also altering. :cool:
I'll wear the asbestos shield with you. What in the hell is wrong with people. They post things like..."well, my kid is autistic and if he doesn't get his way he will turn violent and strike out at us or anyone nearby. We have to be the put on immediately or we don't know what will happen".

OK, let me be go on record and say...YOU ARE IDIOTS! In fact the autistic child may even have a better grasp of right and wrong then you do. If, for one minute, you think that bringing a child with that type of problem into a hot, crowded environment is anything that a reasonable, thoughtful, intellectually functioning adult should do, perhaps joint counseling sessions are in order.

Nothing makes me madder then reading something like that. And it is said as if WE should be ashamed of ourselves for even suggesting that they might not be ready for the Disney experience yet. It's like a God given right for a child of any age or ability to go to a Theme park. Might even be an Amendment to the Constitution for all they know. Let me tell you right now, if any member of my family is injured by your child when you knew ahead of time that it was possible that they could, I'm am going to sue your butt from now until Sunday. I'm not blaming the child, it's not his or her fault that his parents were dumber then a bucket of rocks.

:goofy: :goofy:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 am

I hope the asbestos shield is big enough, cause I'm right there with you both. I am all for accomodation. I like looking around at WDW and seeing the happy faces, and the enjoyment becomes even greater when it is clear that being there and having fun means overcoming certain challenges for a child or even adult. With all that said, sometimes there is no accomodation that will work. Certainly the need to have everything go according to your own plans and desires is something that can't be accomodated. Equipment fails, weather intervenes, crowds come and go, etc.

I understand wanting someone you care for to experience what oothers do, but life does happen. Not every child or adult gets to go to WDW just because they want to. It is irresponsible to take a child who lashes out violently under stress or disappointment into an environment like WDW. It's just wrong.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 am

I was so impressed with some parents last week on our land trip. We were in line for Radiator Springs Racers and the older couple behind us offered to take a picture we were all trying to fit into. We started talking to them and noted that this was their first time at land. Their 40 year old son had downs and was a joy to visit with. The dad told me that they were encouraged to get a GAC pass for him, but he didn't want any feelings of entitlement and that they would manage. They knew what they could and couldn't do and were willing to find happiness in the good things and leave the challenging situations alone. I really admired that attitude and we felt like we made some true friends that night. It was this guys birthday and his first time, and he was over the moon excited. God for them in knowing his limitations and finding the fun in those parameters.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

I think this is a good article asking (and answering) the question of whether it's Disney's responsibility to EXPIDITE or ACCOMODATE disabled guests. http://www.keytothekingdombook.com/word ... sney-news/

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Cedar Fair dealt with this kind of change at the beginning of the year (no line jumping for disabled people), and it calmed down after a few months. You'll get the complainers, but that'll happen no matter what.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 am

I have been hearing a lot of good and bad about the upcoming DAS system. I am taking a lets wait and see what happens attitude. I am glad I am not GR though.

As it stands right now. Like many CM I am very happy to see the changes. I have always been frustrated by the blatent abuse of the system. I have had so many people flat out tell me they lied to get the GAC card so they could get on the rides its was ridiculous. Which reminds me I love love those stories of families paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for disabled guest tour guides when all they had to do was go to City Hall and lie to get their own card and save big bucks.

Here is where I am going to maybe sound cold, heartless and uneducated. I do not understand the problem with asking people to come back after a certain amount of time has passed and then they can use the FP. I hear arguments how autistic kids will have epic meltdowns and such. What do these people do in real life? Do they lock these children up in a room and only bring them out on special occasions.

Out in the real world we are forced to wait in horrible lines and other things. Just look at the line at Airports! Leaving Orlando at the airport I have sat in huge lines for the TSA and thought how in the hell are these people waiting when at Disney they scream they cant wait for 15 mins. Its ridiculous.

Personally I would LOVE to go to every ride show them a pass and then have them tell me when I can return so I can go out enjoy other things or just rest in air conditioning without sweating in line for 90 mins.

I didn't realize that having a disability gave you the right to be treated different and jumped to the front of the line. Sorry but just because you have back issues, autism or in a wheelchair doesn't mean you cant wait like the rest of us. The only people I feel who should never wait are Make a Wish Kids.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:46 am

NemoRanger wrote:I didn't realize that having a disability gave you the right to be treated different and jumped to the front of the line. Sorry but just because you have back issues, autism or in a wheelchair doesn't mean you cant wait like the rest of us. The only people I feel who should never wait are Make a Wish Kids.
OK, I'm going to get killed for this, so let me just start out by saying that I have been a long time cash and time supporter of Make A Wish foundation. I have donated a lot of money over the years and even requested that it be spent to give a kid a chance to see Disney. I, of course, later came to my senses and realized that some kids have other dreams as well as Disney and they needed the help too. Anyway, with that background I have to say that even MAW kids have varying degrees of problems. Some are terminal and only have small amounts of time to be on this planet....they should be in front of everyone no questions asked and if someone makes a nasty remark those people should be...whatever the worst thing you can think of, then do it. But many are also kids that have conquered their terminal illness and are now ok...those should also be given special treatment just because of what they have been through and also because one never knows if a relapse is about to occur. I guess what I'm saying is that even MAW have a certain amount of more or lessened need, but if anyone should get a front of line, it would be them.

:goofy: :goofy:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:52 pm

DisneyMom wrote:I am reading multiple articles re:DAS and really just think nobody will know how it works until they TRY it. Wheelchair accessibility will remain the same as I hear it, so evil teenagers will still take advantage. :mad: Many parents of Autistic kids are saying how it WON'T work for their kid, so I foresee many complaints at City Hall because they had to wait for Splash Mountain or whatever, so their kid had a meltdown. Every person with Autism is different, so I do not think that every one affected will have a meltdown, but some will. The stories are so horrifying to read, that in SOME cases (putting on asbestos shield) I wonder if it is really worth it to bring someone to a place where not having everything go "perfectly" is worth the anguish and injury to their loved one,themselves,or innocent bystanders :eek:
a modern christmas carol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4yAijiybc

Corey