I'd Rather Whine than Switch

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

I'd Rather Whine than Switch

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 pm

The Pirates and Pals Voyage involves putting thirtysix guests on a boat at the Contemporary, and sailing out to the lagoon to watch the fireworks. Naturally, it's accompanied by the usual snacks, character greetings, and bad jokes. I've been and it's not a bad show, especially for young guests fascinated with pirates.

The only bad part about the show is that we let guests on board. Tonight, two families had some problem with each other. I'm not entirely sure what, but the result was one family leaving the boat and coming into the hotel in angry tears.

Team Toaster swung into action, with one person verifying the boat had left, another refunding them the price of the tour, and I partnered with the marina and got them a pontoon boat and pilot to take the same trip at no charge, plus free drinks and snacks on board. I thought it sounded like a good service recovery idea.

But after ten minutes of trying to talk this family into taking the free boat, and assurances that we could get them to the fireworks on time, they decided they would rather stand in the lobby and complain than take a fireworks cruise. They finally stomped off to their room to not watch the fireworks, leaving us and the boat pilot to wonder what we did wrong.

:bawl: :piratedan

Some people just aren't happy unless they're unhappy!

Zazu

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: I'd Rather Whine than Switch

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:13 am

That's just crazy. Bet the folks on the ORIGINAL cruise were glad that family left. I bet we can now figure out who had the problem. I mean if you're going to refund their money AND give them the same cruise (ok minus the pirates) for NOTHING what else could they POSSIBLY have wanted?

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 am

Wanna bet there's some SG posting over on Board X right now, complaining about how their vacation was ruined because they couldn't do their Pirate voyage, and it's all Disney's fault...? :confused:

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 am

Maybe they were holding out for free lifetime passes. Your name will forever be held in contempt because "you just didn't make it the magical (whole trip free) experience they were expecting."

Would it help if they issued you the ability to read minds with your name badge? I think the guests already have that assumption.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 am

YANXWIN wrote:Would it help if they issued you the ability to read minds with your name badge? I think the guests already have that assumption.
Most cast members develop that skill quickly.

As much as we'd each like to think we are unique, there is a finite, and fairly small number of human reactions to any given situation, and the situations at a theme park are also limited. The wise and effective CM learns these, and finds the best way to deal with each.

That, or we run screaming into the night, never to return.

And one of the human reactions we see all too often is the guest who wants above all to be upset about something. Between computers, ride equipment, weather, and other guests, these folks usually find it.

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:43 am

Instead of throwing all that work away you should have found another family and opened with, "Today is your lucky day..." THat would have been magical.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Zazu wrote:And one of the human reactions we see all too often is the guest who wants above all to be upset about something. Between computers, ride equipment, weather, and other guests, these folks usually find it.
Which, being whatever type of reactor I am, I just don't understand. When on vacation, why let yourself get so spun up? I admit, there are times at WDW when someone is doing something that I find annoying -- cutting lines, not curbing misbehaving children, not following instructions -- and I start focusing on the miscreants. Then I usually realize that my mood is darkening, and I give myself a shake and let it go. Why give annoyance power over my vacation? Same thing can happen when I'm not getting the level of service I've come to expect. I'll start focusing on it, then I think "Hey, I'm on vacation in a beatiful place with lots to do and see." As far as the annoyances go, I take solace from the ancient Persians -- "this too shall pass."

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:48 pm

You could have also told them about the seats just outside the resort, near the aerial bridge to Bay Lake towers. This is one of the best places to see the fireworks from.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 pm

avengador1 wrote:You could have also told them about the seats just outside the resort, near the aerial bridge to Bay Lake towers. This is one of the best places to see the fireworks from.
I think I could have offered to set off the fireworks inside their hotel room without sparking any interest.

Zazu

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Zazu wrote:I think I could have offered to set off the fireworks inside their hotel room without sparking any interest.
Where do I sign up? That sounds AWESOME!!!!!! Can I help light them?