Turnstile Crash?

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Turnstile Crash?

Post by delsdad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I heard from various sources that there was a park wide crash of the new turnstiles last week. Sounds like absolute mayhem !

Is this a sign of things to come with the new MM+ system ?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Turnstile Crash?

Post by Zazu » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

delsdad wrote:I heard from various sources that there was a park wide crash of the new turnstiles last week. Sounds like absolute mayhem !

Is this a sign of things to come with the new MM+ system ?
Turnstyle system crashes are not new, but there is a lot of new hardware being attached, so I wasn't really surprised when it happened. (Though I never did learn how long it lasted.)

Some folks may have gotten in free, but not many will be able to use that day before they go home, so there may not be that large a revenue impact.

Unless somebody stopped guests from entering the park. That would cost. Big-time. If so, I'll move the thread to Stupid Employee Tricks.

I have to say, the MM+ testing is going a lot better than I had expected. This is largely because most of the problem is with the RFID readers, and those got worked out when we started putting chips in the KTTW cards. The wristbands are only slightly more complicated.

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 am

I want to try out the magic bands. I am a sucker for beta testing, hence running iOS 7, beta Apple TV. I'm thinking about getting Maverick's as well...

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 am

ktulu wrote:I want to try out the magic bands. I am a sucker for beta testing....
The bands are working well, at least as well as the KTTW with RFID chips.

The challenges are coming from the RFID readers, and the software system to link all together -- and the training system for cast, which has new rules every shift I work.

And resorts *still* don't have the ability to deal with annual/seasonal passes or day-guest upgrades, for some reason.

The biggest issue I worry about is getting guests to sign up for "My Disney Experience". Those in the current beta test are mostly okay with it, but when we roll it out to first-timers and especially convention guests, I worry about major pushback.

Ah well, it'll generate plenty of shifts for me. :rolleyes:

Zazu

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 am

We're already using My Disney Experience, used the KTTW RFID last year @ the Poly. This time around we're at the YC, unless we move again.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 am

Now I think I may be just making this harder or more annoying than it should be. I can understand not being able to get more than a few (like 3) FastPasses reserved ahead of time, but not to be able to possibly pick them up on the fly while in-park just seems annoying. I might get to an attraction that I didn't think would be too busy, but when I get to it find that it's a line that's longer than I want to stand in. So now I can't just pick up a FP while I'm there. I'm ok with the rules of only being able to them every so often. But now I would have to switch out one of the existing FPs I already have scheduled for the new one. So I'm effectively being limited to only 3 a day. And I don't have a smartphone, so I have to find the kiosk where I can make changes. And all my FPs have to be in the same park. So I'm not as likely to park hop so Disney won't be getting the money for the parkhopper option on our tickets.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am

We seem to be a little too scatter-brained to use this system. We do make dining reservations 180 days out so we can eat where we want, but other than that, we never know where we are going to be. I can see some benefits to the system, and I want a band as a souvenir, but other than that, I think we would just use the old system. I think people need to consider the trip they want, and then do what is best for them. As clairvoyant as Disney tries to be, they will NEVER be able to please everyone. I'm ok with that.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:42 am

I agree that planning my future activities two months out isn't my style. But look at it from Disney's perspective. If they discourage locals and those who stay off-site, they fill the parks with hotel guests, who tend to spend more.

We've about maxed out the capacity of the parks themselves. Now fiscal growth has to come from shifting to higher revenue per guest. Just jacking up the ticket prices alone won't do that. Adding perqs that only apply to hotel guests is something that should do that.

As a local (who may never again ride the big attractions without a 3-hour wait) I'm not terribly happy about this move. As a cast member, I look forward to more and more regular hours. As a stockholder, I'm delighted.

And in show business, the business will always trump the show in the short term (unless Walt comes back, then look out!).

Zazu

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

Zazu wrote:The bands are working well, at least as well as the KTTW with RFID chips.

The challenges are coming from the RFID readers, and the software system to link all together -- and the training system for cast, which has new rules every shift I work.

And resorts *still* don't have the ability to deal with annual/seasonal passes or day-guest upgrades, for some reason.

The biggest issue I worry about is getting guests to sign up for "My Disney Experience". Those in the current beta test are mostly okay with it, but when we roll it out to first-timers and especially convention guests, I worry about major pushback.

Ah well, it'll generate plenty of shifts for me. :rolleyes:
It was great fun wading through several threads on board x of folks bitching about snafus with the system . Many were proclaiming that they will stop visiting once they are obliged to use MM+ and not the FP machines! Folks seem to forget about the standby lines ! I
I know the system isn't perfect. it keeps loosing the link to my upcoming reservation at the big toaster form MM+, but the reservation is still there according to the reservation system. The same happens with my dining reservations. And of course adding my AP isnt worth even trying to do yet. But once it is stable and the links are working, it should be cool.

An interesting phenomenon to observe will be when a hoard of Brazilians charges the "turnstiles" and don't stop to scan in. Hopefully the FP+ system will invalidate their passes untill they properly enter the park. Maybe it will even limit the size of the groups to something reasonable, like 12 guests per group. This would inhibit the groups of 50 flag followers from mobbing a FP entrance.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 pm

delsdad wrote:An interesting phenomenon to observe will be when a hoard of Brazilians charges the "turnstiles" and don't stop to scan in. Hopefully the FP+ system will invalidate their passes untill they properly enter the park.
Fastpasses already fail to work if you didn't properly enter the park with the ID you are trying to use. While I haven't tested it, I'm pretty sure the new system won't either.

Zazu