How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Post by felinefan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Shorewood Hills, WI has a 15 year old police veteran? Dang, cops are getting younger all the time! Did he get sworn in at 7? Did he go straight from kindergarten to police academy? I mean, I know Bill Cosby once said "Give me 200 two year olds, and I can conquer the world," but isn't that a little extreme? :hysteria:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Can we puleeze get some classes started before someone else gets killed?

NEW ORLEANS, LA, 6/11/13: Around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, a 72-year-old man was in his Hollygrove home in the 2800 block of Eagle Street showing a friend his semi-automatic handgun. Felton Dyer then accidently squeezed the trigger and shot the friend in the leg, officials said.

CHARLESTON, SC, 6/14/13: A teen walked into a West Ashley home uninvited last week and proceeded to accidentally shoot himself in the leg, authorities say.

PONTIAC, MI, 6/14/13: A Detroit man could be headed from a hospital bed to a jail cell after deputies said he misled them by claiming he had been shot in the leg when he accidentally shot himself, according to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office.

ARENDAHL TOWNSHIP, MN, 6/15/13: The Fillmore County Sheriff's Office says an Utica man was accidentally shot and killed during a bachelor - bachelorette party Saturday night.

TOLEDO, OH, 6/15/13: Just after 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Brian Eberflus was accidentally shot in his right knee by his father, David Eberflus, according to a police report. Police said the men first reported someone shot the younger Mr. Eberflus while the two were grilling.

FERNDALE, WA, 6/16/13: A 23-year-old woman has died after a stray bullet — fired from more than a half-mile away — struck her in the chest at a Father's Day barbecue.

YBOR CITY, FL, 6/16/13: A 9-year-old boy found a loaded handgun inside an Ybor City movie theater bathroom on Father's Day. "My son opened the door and immediately said dad there's a gun in the bathroom," recounted Wesley Noland, the boy's father. He said the weapon was sitting on top of the toilet paper dispenser. UPDATE: The "Responsible Gun Owner" who left it behind? A cop.

SANDY CREEK TOWNSHIP, IN, 6/17/13: A 12-year-old Jennings County, Ind. boy was rushed to the hospital Monday night after police said his 16-year-old brother accidental shot him. Police said he had been shot in the head by a .22 caliber rifle. They believe that 16-year-old was handling the gun when it accidentally fired, striking his brother. UPDATE: He didn't make it.

HOUSTON, TX, 6/18/13: A man in northwest Harris County says he fatally shot his son Tuesday after mistaking him to be a burglar trying to break inside his house, Harris County detectives said.

KNOXVILLE, TN, 6/19/13: Knox County authorities say a man and a woman have been charged with reckless homicide after their 6-month-old daughter died in a shooting, reports CBS affiliate WVLT. The baby girl was reportedly shot early Wednesday afternoon when her parents, Angela Major and Ken Mason, were involved in a domestic dispute. This, by the way, is the third time this year that a family in Tennessee has accidentally shot their own baby.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:59 pm

That last one shows that some people shouldn't be allowed to breed. The kid who found the gun in the stall--smart kid.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Hobie, I recently had a discussion with my brother that I thought that possibly there were more gun deaths from accidents than from crimes...I wonder if there are any stats? I do think that people have the Right to possess firearms, just think that there are too many careless/violent/crazy people who are out there and these are the ones who make the news.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if MY gun caused a death or injury. Gun Ownership is a HUGE responsibility.

I'll now go back to trying to find out where I left my keys... :dory:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm not sure what the ratio of accidental shootings to criminal acts is. I do recall reading multiple articles that stated most victims of shootings know the shooter. That would lead one to believe that, except for accidental shootings, many are probably related to domestic violence.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 am

Hobie,
Here are the NRA courses in just Hawaii for the rest of the year:
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 6/29/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 6/29/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/5/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/7/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 7/13/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 7/13/2013
NRA Range Safety Officer Course Mt. View 7/14/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/19/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/21/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 7/27/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 8/4/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 8/17/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 8/31/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 9/14/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 10/19/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 11/16/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 12/14/2013

If you are interested in other courses in other areas just check out http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

The courses are there. It's up to gun owners to attend them. And a good place to start looking for statistics on shootings by accident vs shootings from crime would be the CDC.

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 am

GaTechGal wrote:And a good place to start looking for statistics on shootings by accident vs shootings from crime would be the CDC.
Actually, there is some big powerful lobbying organization that has been blocking the CDC from collecting those statistics...

http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-gun- ... ics-2013-1

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 am

DisneyMom wrote:Hobie, I recently had a discussion with my brother that I thought that possibly there were more gun deaths from accidents than from crimes...I wonder if there are any stats? I do think that people have the Right to possess firearms, just think that there are too many careless/violent/crazy people who are out there and these are the ones who make the news.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if MY gun caused a death or injury. Gun Ownership is a HUGE responsibility.

I'll now go back to trying to find out where I left my keys... :dory:
hobie16 wrote:I'm not sure what the ratio of accidental shootings to criminal acts is. I do recall reading multiple articles that stated most victims of shootings know the shooter. That would lead one to believe that, except for accidental shootings, many are probably related to domestic violence.
Buggy wrote:Actually, there is some big powerful lobbying organization that has been blocking the CDC from collecting those statistics...

http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-gun- ... ics-2013-1
In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, President Obama issued an executive order to start studying these things. The first report was just released. You can find the report here (Please note: the report is not free although some summary and briefing notes are):

Institute of Medicine - Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence

Slate Magazine had an article summarizing the major findings if you're looking for a shorter read:

Slate Human Nature Blog

There are somethings each side will point to in order to support their arguments.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 am

WEDFan wrote:In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, President Obama issued an executive order to start studying these things. The first report was just released. You can find the report here (Please note: the report is not free although some summary and briefing notes are):

Institute of Medicine - Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence

Slate Magazine had an article summarizing the major findings if you're looking for a shorter read:

Slate Human Nature Blog

There are somethings each side will point to in order to support their arguments.
Interesting article. Not surprised by most of it except the suicide statistic.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 am

GaTechGal wrote:Hobie,
Here are the NRA courses in just Hawaii for the rest of the year:
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 6/29/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 6/29/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/5/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/7/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 7/13/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 7/13/2013
NRA Range Safety Officer Course Mt. View 7/14/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/19/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 7/21/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Mililani 7/27/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 8/4/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 8/17/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Waipahu 8/31/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 9/14/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 10/19/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 11/16/2013
NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lihue 12/14/2013
None on Maui. That may be by design as state law sez you have to take a safety course before you can buy a gun. And, if you buy a second one you have to take the course again.

--- Matt King