How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Post by drcorey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 pm

felinefan wrote:Not sure if they still do, maybe only in summer, but the Train Bandits did a shootout in Calico Square at Nazi Fairy Farm aka Knott's Berry Farm. Hilarious.
not as funny as Snots Fairy Farm

Corey

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Way back a bit, we used to have an amusement park called Frontier Village. As you might expect, it had a wild west theme, and included a gunfight show on the main street area. It was a different time, when you could let your kids go to an amusement park (at least this one) and not worry....

As to this, well, I don't want to sound like I'm taking sides, but there are just some places where one really shouldn't feel they need to take a gun. A Disney resort is one of them. I may have missed it, but does security check for weapons like this?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am

PatchOBlack wrote:As to this, well, I don't want to sound like I'm taking sides, but there are just some places where one really shouldn't feel they need to take a gun. A Disney resort is one of them. I may have missed it, but does security check for weapons like this?
My understanding is that if Disney Security finds a weapon you will not be allowed to take it into the parks. Exceptions undoubtedly apply such as on-duty law enforcement and security (say Secret Service...) The gap in the screening is that Disney does not do a complete search for weapons. It does not search your person -- just your bags. A weapon concealed on your person will not ordinarily be found. I think the reality is that a search that would catch those weapons is probably not practical. Metal detectors would require that all the usual metal objects in your pockets would have to be taken out and passed around the detector. Not to mention issues with medical implants and jewelry. It would become like the airport security checkpoints, and that rate of inspection is not sustainable for the gates at the Disney parks.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 am

felinefan wrote:Not sure if they still do, maybe only in summer, but the Train Bandits did a shootout in Calico Square at Nazi Fairy Farm aka Knott's Berry Farm. Hilarious.
That used to happen on the train at Stone Mountain Park back in the day. In fact, I think at first it was Indians that attacked the train, and then later it became train robbers.
PatchOBlack wrote: As to this, well, I don't want to sound like I'm taking sides, but there are just some places where one really shouldn't feel they need to take a gun. A Disney resort is one of them. I may have missed it, but does security check for weapons like this?
Agree with you there. In the park I'd much rather rely on Disney's security.
Goofyernmost wrote:That must have been back when guns were our friend. :p:
Guns are our friend every day. Like any other tool, you have to learn how to use it safely. Both my kids are/were on the rifle team in high school. My daughter was the captain (my son still has 2 years to possibly achieve that honor) and both are fine marksmen. But every year there is gun safety instruction.

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Excuse me for starting a debate there, believe me that wasn't my intention. In Canada, the government, media, and people really tend to villainize the US, especially in this regard. In school, they've taught me that Americans don't need a license at all to purchase, carry, or handle a firearm, concealed or otherwise. It's really biased, I know, but a good number of people here are a lot more arrogant than the popular notion of the overly polite Canadian. So I apologize for bringing the issue up, and thank you for opening my eyes.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 am

KieranDotW wrote:Excuse me for starting a debate there, believe me that wasn't my intention. In Canada, the government, media, and people really tend to villainize the US, especially in this regard. In school, they've taught me that Americans don't need a license at all to purchase, carry, or handle a firearm, concealed or otherwise. It's really biased, I know, but a good number of people here are a lot more arrogant than the popular notion of the overly polite Canadian. So I apologize for bringing the issue up, and thank you for opening my eyes.
Your school was exactly wrong. You most certainly DO have to have a license to purchase and carry concealed. There is a waiting period and background check. The laws differ as to carrying from state to state. And we have a wonderful organization (that is not government sponsered) whose sole aim is the education and support of guns - The National Rifle Association. Since we have the right to bear arms enumerated in our Bill of Rights, many of us joyfully embrace that right and own and use our guns for personal protection, sport, and fun. That bad people use them for crime is not new and not stopped by strict legislation as to by who and where guns can be used (case in point City of Chicago).

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

GaTechGal wrote:And we have a wonderful organization (that is not government sponsered) whose sole aim is the education and support of guns - The National Rifle Association.
Wonderful? Really? Hasn't their primary mission mutated into being a mouthpiece for gun manufacturers?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 pm

hobie16 wrote:Wonderful? Really? Hasn't their primary mission mutated into being a mouthpiece for gun manufacturers?
Not in the least. If you would look over their website, they have LOADS of training opportunities for folks of all ages to learn about their guns and how to enjoy them safely as well as competitions in marksmanship. They do provide information about various different types of guns, but no more so than any other website dedicated to a particular interest. You probably wouldn't say that about a website about golf, or cars or boats or beer. They talk about the product that the people there are interested in.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 am

hobie16 wrote:Wonderful? Really? Hasn't their primary mission mutated into being a mouthpiece for gun manufacturers?
The certainly do a lot of that, and they show no respect for balance and proportion in their political stance, but...

They do a really great job of offering gun safety training, often at no cost. True, it was tacky when they offered gun training to schoolteachers after Sandy Hook, but the training itself is still very well done.

And yes, as a card-carrying liberal, it does hurt to say that, but I gotta go with the truth here.

Zazu

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 am

Zazu wrote:...

And yes, as a card-carrying liberal, it does hurt to say that, but I gotta go with the truth here.
Bless you for that. If only everyone, of all political persuasions, would learn to do the same. I can dream...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter