How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Pa

Post by WEDFan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 am

felinefan wrote:Aren't hunters supposed to wear reflective vests? That way they aren't mistaken for animals; and aren't hunters taught not to fire until they're sure of their target?
Unfortunately hunting laws are regularly disregarded. Ideally a hunter would always withhold fire until sure of their target, but if everyone did that, there would be no need for blaze orange since a person looks nothing like an animal, and just by the motion you would be able to distinguish a human. I once heard hunters discussing the merits of a tre stand and taking sound shots (i.e. assuming no one is near your stand and shooting at the sound of movement in the undergrowth.) I couldn't believe it. As DisneyMom pointed out, you mix in alcohol with people who already believe they could never make a mistake like that and the result can be tragic. I've lived my entire life in areas noted for their hunting legacy, and I know many good, responsible hunters who play a part in keeping animal populations in check, but there are a *lot* of idiots out there.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:55 pm

First, a summary.
Nineteen kids were accidentally shot last week, ages 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 11, 13, 14, 14, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17 and 17.
Guns were found in schools in Springfield, MO, Charlotte, NC, Norfolk, VA and Reading, PA.

MACOMB TOWNSHIP, MI, 9/10/13: A 58-year-old Macomb Township man accidentally left a handgun and ammunition in a shopping cart at a local Kroger store that was later discovered by a worker. It was a camouflage-colored Kel-Tec 9mm handgun along with a full 7-bullet magazine.

WYNNE, AR, 11/23/13: A Cross County child reportedly accidentally shot his 10-year-old sibling Saturday evening.

DALLAS, TX, 11/23/13: Police say a 7-year-old boy has been hospitalized in serious condition after he was shot by his 13-year-old brother.

GADSDEN, AL, 11/23/13: A Gadsden man cut a bullet out of his own stomach after accidentally shooting himself while playing with a gun.

MARLETTE TOWNSHIP, MI, 11/23/13: Authorities in Michigan's Thumb have released the name of an 11-year-old boy who was accidentally shot to death by a friend during a sleepover.

FLOWOOD, MS, 11/24/13: Churchgoers got quite a scare at Pinelake Church in Rankin County Sunday morning. Flowood Police say a man's gun accidentally discharged as he was sitting down.

ORLANDO, FL, 11/24/13: A 16-year-old girl is in the hospital Monday morning fighting for her life following a shooting at a house party. She was reportedly playing with friends and the gun accidentally fired.

ANDERSON CO., TN, 11/24/13: An Anderson County man accidentally shot himself in the hand Sunday night when he tried to force the wrong caliber of ammunition into his pistol at a home on Hillbilly Way. His sister gave him .38 caliber ammo, and when he tried to force the round into the weapon by tapping it with his pocketknife, the round went off, striking him in the hand.

Hillbilly Way? Tapping the round with a knife? You can't make this stuff up. Tuba Patrol!!

HALF MOON BAY, CA, 11/24/13: 4100 block of North Cabrillo Highway, 5:30 a.m. Sunday An 18-year-old man accidentally fired a gun inside a residence, which activated a fire alarm and sprinkler system. The teen eventually confessed to responding deputies and fire personnel.

BOYCEVILLE, WI, 11/28/13: A Menomonie deer hunter is in critical condition after he was shot in the stomach by members of his own hunting party.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:00 am

Hobie, add to that Winter Garden, FL yesterday at West Orange High School. On a school bus at the end of the day. It was not accidental.

Especially chilling for me since my church used to use the auditorium of that school every Sunday. We assisted in their musicals and special events. I know several of the teachers and students there.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Widget
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Widget » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:07 pm

About 20 years ago up here in Maine a woman went outside to hang laundry on a cold November day. She was wearing white mittens. A hunter shot and killed her because he thought the white was the tail of a deer. He was never charged with a crime and many people blamed the woman for wearing the mittens since she should have known it was hunting season. I find many things wrong with that thought. One shooting so close to a house is illegal. Two the hunter did not identify his target. Three the general public is not required to wear orange during hunting season in their own backyard. The hunter was wrong and should have been put in jail for manslaughter.

Last year an off duty police officer at dusk on the last day of muzzle loading season shot and hit a deer that turned out to be an elderly woman walking her two golden retrievers on a public path. He thought the dogs were deer. She was not wearing orange but the path she was on happened to be on the edge of her property and was close to houses. Again the hunter did not identify his target and was too close to a residence.

There were also a couple hunter shooting dog cases last year. One claimed he though the dog was a coyote. The breed of dog he shot looked nothing like a coyote. And once he realized his mistake he tried to hide the evidence.

This year a father and his young son were out hunting on land that they knew had horses on it. They saw a three deer and the son fired his rifle. Three deer took off and a Shetland pony fell to the ground dead. Again the target was not identified.

I live on a road that is posted as a wildlife sanctuary. Almost every telephone pole has a sign on it stating that there is no hunting or trapping. Yet a couple years ago a hunter came up the hill behind my next door neighbors house. There is no was to reach this spot without first parking on the road near one of the no hunting signs. My neighbor confronted him and asked him what the hell did he think he was doing hunting so close to houses and in a posted no hunting area. He replied that he was from Canada. Huh? So that made him exempt? What would his excuse have been if he had shot one of my horses especially since two of them are deer colored.

Now do not get me wrong. I own a gun and have no issues with people owning guns. But I do have issues with hunting. I hate it with a passion. I hate that some hunters could not care less about anything about killing that deer or bear or whatever they think they need to kill. No regard for laws. No regard for the no hunting signs that landowners post. Do not even get me started on those that go around the world just to go on trophy hunts. The picture that has been circulating of that lady who went to Africa to kill a lion makes me sick. No one should enjoy killing that much.

And for the record I do eat meat and I do know where it comes from. So those who hunt and try to tell me that I should not eat meat because I am against hunting are wrong. I raised turkeys this year that went to freezer camp and will be invited for dinner at some point. I also had to put down my 14 year old goat today due to health issues. And I do mean I. It was the humane thing to do but I did not in any way enjoy ending her life.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I am sad when one of my rats dies. but I don't want to eat one.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 pm

First the stats. Just five child victims were found, ages 5, 15, 15, 16 and 17.

MCKENZIE CO., ND, 11/14/13: Kaelan Macdonald and his family spent the past three weeks, including Thanksgiving, in a St. Paul, MN, hospital after he was shot in the eye while pheasant hunting. Russell Macdonald said he and he his son were deer hunting with two others. He said the deer hunting was slow that Sunday so the group decided to walk a slough where they had seen some pheasants earlier in the day. When they reached the slough, Kaelan and one of his friends walked the edge to the other side and Macdonald and a family friend went through the middle. When a rooster flushed, the friend fired with Kaelan 80 yards directly down range. Russell Macdonald said it was then the magnitude of his son’s situation hit hard for him and his wife. “I have never felt fear like that before,” he said. Admittedly, Russell Macdonald said they didn’t follow safe hunting rules — and it cost his son dearly. He said one of the biggest things is thinking something like this couldn’t happen to them. He said he plans on sharing his story with others when it comes to proper hunting safety and how, in an instant, things can go wrong.

CHICKASHA, OK, 11/29/13: A Chickasha man accidentally shot himself in the head with a gun Nov. 29, according to local police.

MANCHESTER, NH, 11/30/13: A 5-year-old suffered an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound early Saturday morning in Manchester, police said.

WEST GARDINER, ME, 11/30/13: A hunting accident Saturday morning sent a Neck Road man to the hospital after he apparently slipped and shot himself in the foot.

DUVALL, WA, 11/30/13: A King County sheriff's spokesman says a deputy conducting a trailhead check discovered a man dead with a gunshot wound to the chest. It appears the man accidentally shot himself as he was putting away his gear after a day of hunting.

DE SOTO, MO, 12/01/13: A 32-year-old man now faces charges after police say he allegedly misfired a handgun while drunk and shot a woman in De Soto.

NEWARK, NJ, 12/01/13: The shooting of a 15-year-old Elizabeth boy in Newark on Sunday night was ruled accidental, police officials said. The victim, who was not identified, was shot in the mouth.

MOSES LAKE, WA, 12/01/13: A woman was accidentally shot in the chest with a 9 mm pistol on Sunday when a family member discharged a pistol while cleaning it.

BOCA RATON, FL, 12/01/13: By all accounts, Justin Holt and Erin Steele were very much in love. They started dating almost immediately after being introduced and were open about saying "I love you" to each other. After almost a year together, the young Pompano Beach couple had become nearly inseparable. On Thanksgiving, Steele and Holt ate dinner at his grandpa's house. Three days later, she shot and killed him.

NORTH MIAMI BEACH, FL, 12/02/13: In an apparent accident, a North Miami Beach man shot and killed another man while watching the New Orleans Saints play the Seattle Seahawks on Monday Night Football.

YPSILANTI, MI, 12/03/13: Waterford Township native Tammy Flowers was woken around 1:40 this morning to her roommate banging on her door and crying. “When I opened the door, she was sitting on the floor, looked up at me and said, ‘I got shot,’” said Flowers. A bullet had just gone through the wall of their apartment.

FEDERAL WAY, WA, 12/03/13: A 19-year-old who allegedly purchased a stolen handgun accidentally shot himself in the abdomen following the transaction in Federal Way on Tuesday night.

BRADENTON, FL, 12/04/13: Deputies say a man who was apparently spooked by noises in his house shot one of his caretakers.

RICHLAND, WA, 12/04/13: Richland police are asking for the public’s help in finding a man who allegedly fired more than 20 rounds from an assault rifle at three people in an SUV.

TULSA, OK, 12/06/13: A 17-year-old was shot in the arm after a handgun tossed by another teen went off inside a residence Friday morning.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm

First, some stats. Only three children, ages 3, 4, and 8, shot this week. 250 guns reportedly found in schools across the state of Ohio in 2012.

PASO ROBLES, CA, 9/26/13: A rural Paso Robles man is awaiting trial after firing bullets into his neighbor’s home while target shooting. Dean Buckley, 59, of Whitley Gardens told police that he did not mean to hit his neighbor’s home while shooting at a water tank in his backyard.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 12/07/13: RTV 6 reports that a 3 year old is dead after being shot in the head yesterday evening at his family's home on.

DILLON, MT, 12/07/13: A Missoula hunter was wounded after being accidentally shot by another hunter south of Dillon on Saturday.

RIVERTON, WY, 12/07/13: Police responding to a disturbance call found multiple bullet holes inside an apartment in the 900 block of Forrest Drive. Two women lived in the apartment and one of the women had become despondent so the roommate took control of the gun. A some point a man came into the apartment and asked to see the gun, and apparently accidentally fired it several times while looking at it.

NEW HAVEN, CT, 12/07/13: An 18-year-old Hillhouse High School student said he “accidentally pulled the trigger” of a pistol while engaged in “horseplay” with a 23-year-old friend—firing a shot that left his friend dead.

MARYVILLE, TN, 12/08/13: Blount County dispatchers reported a man in a Maryville apartment complex was accidentally shot by a juvenile playing with a gun.

RACINE, WI, 12/08/13: Police said they arrested a Milwaukee man after his loaded handgun fell from his pocket and discharged inside a clothing store in Racine.

SUMMERVILLE, SC, 12/08/13: Multiple witnesses who were inside a Berkeley County nightclub early Sunday say a woman celebrating her friend's birthday was killed by a stray bullet after a fight broke out between members of a motorcycle club and other customers.

COVINGTON, LA, 12/11/13: A Covington police captain is now on paid administrative leave after accidentally discharging a shotgun inside the police station earlier this week.

CHILLICOTHE, OH, 12/11/13: Authorities say a woman was killed in an accidental shooting by a law-enforcement officer during a drug raid in rural central Ohio. A prosecutor in Ross County, south of Columbus, said 35-year-old Krystal Barrows, was accidentally shot in the head Wednesday night after officers entered a home to conduct the raid. Prosecutor Matt Schmidt tells the Chillicothe Gazette that it wasn't clear whether the gunfire was the result of a weapon malfunction or user error. The county sheriff's office wouldn't answer questions about the shooting. UPDATE: At some point an officer's gun went off outside the house. Lavender said when officers raided the home, they found Barrows sitting on the couch bleeding from her head. The bullet had traveled through the mobile home walls and hit Barrows.

TULSA, OK, 12/12/13: A man was taken to the hospital early Thursday after his girlfriend accidentally shot him inside their apartment.

RAPID CITY, SD, 12/12/13: Rapid City police say a toddler who found an unsecured handgun inside a home accidentally shot his mother in the leg as she tried to get it away.

KNOXVILLE, TN, 12/13/13: A spokesperson with the Knox County Sheriff's Department says an officer at the Detention Center in East Knox County accidentally discharged his gun injuring three fellow officers Friday night.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm

First, some stats. Only three children, ages 3, 4, and 8, shot this week. 250 guns reportedly found in schools across the state of Ohio in 2012.

PASO ROBLES, CA, 9/26/13: A rural Paso Robles man is awaiting trial after firing bullets into his neighbor’s home while target shooting. Dean Buckley, 59, of Whitley Gardens told police that he did not mean to hit his neighbor’s home while shooting at a water tank in his backyard.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 12/07/13: RTV 6 reports that a 3 year old is dead after being shot in the head yesterday evening at his family's home on.

DILLON, MT, 12/07/13: A Missoula hunter was wounded after being accidentally shot by another hunter south of Dillon on Saturday.

RIVERTON, WY, 12/07/13: Police responding to a disturbance call found multiple bullet holes inside an apartment in the 900 block of Forrest Drive. Two women lived in the apartment and one of the women had become despondent so the roommate took control of the gun. A some point a man came into the apartment and asked to see the gun, and apparently accidentally fired it several times while looking at it.

NEW HAVEN, CT, 12/07/13: An 18-year-old Hillhouse High School student said he “accidentally pulled the trigger” of a pistol while engaged in “horseplay” with a 23-year-old friend—firing a shot that left his friend dead.

MARYVILLE, TN, 12/08/13: Blount County dispatchers reported a man in a Maryville apartment complex was accidentally shot by a juvenile playing with a gun.

RACINE, WI, 12/08/13: Police said they arrested a Milwaukee man after his loaded handgun fell from his pocket and discharged inside a clothing store in Racine.

SUMMERVILLE, SC, 12/08/13: Multiple witnesses who were inside a Berkeley County nightclub early Sunday say a woman celebrating her friend's birthday was killed by a stray bullet after a fight broke out between members of a motorcycle club and other customers.

COVINGTON, LA, 12/11/13: A Covington police captain is now on paid administrative leave after accidentally discharging a shotgun inside the police station earlier this week.

CHILLICOTHE, OH, 12/11/13: Authorities say a woman was killed in an accidental shooting by a law-enforcement officer during a drug raid in rural central Ohio. A prosecutor in Ross County, south of Columbus, said 35-year-old Krystal Barrows, was accidentally shot in the head Wednesday night after officers entered a home to conduct the raid. Prosecutor Matt Schmidt tells the Chillicothe Gazette that it wasn't clear whether the gunfire was the result of a weapon malfunction or user error. The county sheriff's office wouldn't answer questions about the shooting. UPDATE: At some point an officer's gun went off outside the house. Lavender said when officers raided the home, they found Barrows sitting on the couch bleeding from her head. The bullet had traveled through the mobile home walls and hit Barrows.

TULSA, OK, 12/12/13: A man was taken to the hospital early Thursday after his girlfriend accidentally shot him inside their apartment.

RAPID CITY, SD, 12/12/13: Rapid City police say a toddler who found an unsecured handgun inside a home accidentally shot his mother in the leg as she tried to get it away.

KNOXVILLE, TN, 12/13/13: A spokesperson with the Knox County Sheriff's Department says an officer at the Detention Center in East Knox County accidentally discharged his gun injuring three fellow officers Friday night.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Da stats this week. Two three-year-olds, a five-year-old, a nine-year-old, a teen of unknown age, and one 17-year-old.

AUSTIN, TX, 11/18/13: Police officer Vincent Giles was suspended from duty on Dec. 14 after he "accidentally discharged his shotgun while inspecting the weapon before beginning his tour of duty" on Nov. 18.

ROYAL PALM BEACH, FL, 11/26/13: According to a PBSO report, the 18-year-old victim is a nephew of the shooter. He decided at approximately 11:15 p.m. to scare his uncle by jiggling the patio door handle. According to the report, the shooter heard the sound and retrieved his rifle before going to investigate the noise. When the victim saw his uncle come out onto the patio, he jumped out to scare him. According to the report, his uncle was startled and discharged the rifle, shooting the victim in his left thigh just above his knee.

GROVE CITY, OH, 12/12/13: A Grove City teenager last week accidentally shot his sister in the leg with their mother's gun.

VERO BEACH, FL, 12/13/13: The owner of a fitness center is recovering from a gunshot wound to his legs. The center’s owner, Steve Pfiester, 43, was in his office when the .40-caliber Glock, held by its owner in a next-door locker room, fired and went through the wall.

DENTON, TX, 12/14/13: A man was transported to Denton Regional Medical Center after a .22-caliber Magnum handgun discharged in his jacket pocket.

CROSSVILLE, TN, 12/14/13: A Crossville man was accidently shot in the foot when looking at a rifle being held by a coworker. Both men reportedly were drinking at the time of the incident.

RICHMOND, CA, 12/14/13: The family of a Richmond teen struck by stray bullet over the weekend said on Monday that she was paralyzed from her injuries.

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, NJ, 12/15/13: Police say an off-duty Gloucester Township Police officer was unloading a personally owned pistol, when the gun accidentally discharged.

COLUMBIA, TN, 12/15/13: A Maury County man was killed after a stray bullet struck him inside of his apartment. Police said the victim's roommate was handling a pistol in an upstairs bedroom when the gun accidentally discharged. They said the bullet traveled through the floor and fatally struck the victim.

DEKALB CO., GA, 12/15/13: A five year old girl is recovering after a bullet hit her in the shoulder as she stood in an apartment watching a gun fight outside.

FAIRMONT, NC, 12/16/13: Negotiations between two men over the purchase of a firearm Monday turned deadly when the gun discharged during a struggle, fatally wounding a Fairmont man, authorities said.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, 12/17/13: Indianapolis Metropolitan Police say an 18-year-old man accidentally shot himself in the head at a home on the city's west side late Tuesday. Investigators say they think the man may have been drinking.

BRONX, NY, 12/18/13: A 9-year-old boy was shot in the foot in the Crotona Park East section of the Bronx. Witnesses say the street was covered with kids heading home from school. That's just what the 9-year-old boy was doing. Witnesses say two men were arguing outside a bodega at East 175th Street and Prospect Avenue, one had a gun. Detectives believe during the dispute the armed man accidentally fired a shot, hitting the child's left foot. "He told me he was shot. He said, 'I'm shot, I'm shot,'" the victim's cousin said. "Did he say anything else?" Eyewitness News asked. "He was very afraid for his life. He told me, 'This is the first time I've ever got shot.'

NAIRN, LA, 12/19/13: An 18-year-old man hog hunting with two close friends accidentally shot them when he mistook them for the hogs he sought.

SAHUARITA, AZ, 12/20/13: A 3-year-old boy has died after accidentally shooting himself with his parent's gun.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 pm

The stats. 2 month old, 2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, six 14s, 17 and 17.

PORT CLINTON, OH, 11/11/13: An Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office deputy assigned as a corrections officer discharged a firearm inside the Ottawa County Detention Facility on Nov. 11, according to OCSO reports. The reports say Deputy Matt Gandee was showing a Springfield XDM semi-automatic handgun to another deputy, who was thinking about buying a similar model. Neither deputy was injured, though both reported severe ringing in their ears, the reports said.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, 12/14/13: A teenage boy who was shot dead in San Francisco this month was slain not by an enemy but by an accomplice in a street robbery, after a bullet fired at the victim ricocheted off his face.

BEREA, OH, 12/20/13: A man called police Dec. 20 at 8:35 a.m. to report an accidental shooting. The man said he had ejected a magazine and thought his Walther handgun was unloaded when it shot him.

BODFISH, CA, 12/20/13: The Bodfish man found dead in his booby-trapped home last weekend died of an accidental shotgun wound to the torso. Paul Edward Morningstar, 66, was found Sunday in his Bodfish home, which had been rigged with multiple explosive devices. Sheriff's officials say they attempted to check Morningstar on Friday, Dec. 20, when neighbors reported hearing a loud "boom." A robot was unable to detect a body inside Morningstar's home that night, but did find explosive devices. A bomb squad entered the residence the next day to disarm any explovsives and located the 66-year-old. Neighbors described Morningstar as an "old hippy," eccentric, quiet and friendly.

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, 12/23/13: Colorado Springs police are now telling FOX21 News that the 14 year old girl shot this morning has died. According to police, the girls stepfather shot her, thinking it was a home invasion. Police say she may have been sneaking back into her house.

EAST LAMPETER TOWNSHIP, PA, 12/24/13: A 2-month-old baby girl is dead after police say she was accidentally killed when a gun was fired by a member of her family.

BROOKLYN, NY, 12/24/13: A drunken Brooklyn man playing with a gun shot his younger brother in the hip on Christmas Eve and then tried to dump the smoking pistol on a neighbor.

LAKE CHARLES, LA, 12/26/13: A 20-year-old Lake Charles man is dead following a shooting Thursday morning. An eyewitness told KPLC that the victim was working on his truck around 9 a.m. and started playing with his gun and accidentally shot himself.

BRIGHTON, MI, 12/26/13: Authorities say a man accidentally shot himself in a home improvement store with the gun he was legally carrying. WHMI-FM reports the 32-year-old man from the Livingston County community of Green Oak Township was shot in the buttocks Thursday evening at the Home Depot in Brighton. Police say it appears he was reaching for his wallet when he inadvertently grabbed the pistol and a shot fired.

--- Matt King