How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: How Can You Not Know That Guns Are Not Allowed In The Parks?!?!?!

Post by delsdad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 pm

mapo wrote: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :bugeyes:
Welcome back Mapo !! :beer: :beer:

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:42 am

delsdad wrote:Welcome back Mapo !! :beer: :beer:
Thanks for the beer...I feel better already.

I am greatly relieved to see that those "lyrics" are from a song and not something the poster was saying.

If you are not aware, we just had WESH 2 news do a feature on 9/11 saying how all the local theme parks could have better security. Of course, Disney was singled out with the "they do not even list that you cannot bring weapons?" Oh and we have some security professional stating that she thinks we should have armed security in the park for response. Seriously??? :confused:

This all comes on the heels of a SG who posted a video on You Tube stating that a security manager had over stepped his authority and why can't I bring in certain objects. He had parachute cord, tools, and instruction manual in his bag. As his own You Tube videos demonstrate, you can make numerous weapons from these things. :eek:

With those two SG fresh in my mind, I thought someone here had lost their mind as well. :p:

So I decided to bang my smilies head on the wall LOL

mapo

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:51 pm

mapo wrote:Thanks for the beer...I feel better already.

I am greatly relieved to see that those "lyrics" are from a song and not something the poster was saying.
I thought that might be the case which is why I posted the way I did. I'm a long time fan of Steely Dan so I recognised the lyrics Hobie posted right away and responded with the name of the song. I have to admit, though, not my favorite Steely Dan tune.
If you are not aware, we just had WESH 2 news do a feature on 9/11 saying how all the local theme parks could have better security. Of course, Disney was singled out with the "they do not even list that you cannot bring weapons?" Oh and we have some security professional stating that she thinks we should have armed security in the park for response. Seriously??? :confused:

This all comes on the heels of a SG who posted a video on You Tube stating that a security manager had over stepped his authority and why can't I bring in certain objects. He had parachute cord, tools, and instruction manual in his bag. As his own You Tube videos demonstrate, you can make numerous weapons from these things. :eek:
I hadn't seen either of those but I'm not surprised. Stories and videos like that attract attention because they play on people's fears. We, as a species, don't seem to be very good at understanding risk. Terrorist attacks are horrific in part because they are rare. The things really likely to kill us on vacation don't even enter into most people's awareness. How many people have been injured or died in the Orlando area since 2001 as a result of car accidents? Cancer? Other health conditions? And then terrorists? Even places where they use metal detectors and severly limit what you can carry can't ensure that a determined terrorist couldn't cause harm. If Disney went full on defensive the quality of vacations would suffer hugely and to what real benefit?

I, for one, am confident they do what is reasonable, and as I said earlier in the post, I assume they do a lot more than what is visible. Violence in the parks would hurt the bottom line. No matter how you slice it, it's in Disney's interest to have good, solid security without being an armed camp. I would not feel safer if there were a bunch of armed responders there. Police on call, sure, but lots of armed people on stand by? Not really. Lots of people and lots of guns makes for chaos an unintended consequences. I'm happy to have the number limited to trained professionals in small quantities.

As for not listing that weapons are unwelcome, really? :notallthe Sometimes I think there has been a zombie apocolypse I didn't hear about and all the brains have been eaten.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm

It's been pretty boring in the shootings department with just same old, same old events. Until this popped up.

Two drivers are dead after a road rage incident escalated into a shootout. The incident happened around 6:45p.m. Wednesday on M-66 near Steele Street. Witnesses tell WZZM 13 a one driver was following another driver too closely. The first driver pulled into a car wash parking lot and the other driver followed them into the parking lot.

Witnesses say the driver of the following car fired shots, and the first driver returned fire. Both drivers were shot and killed. Authorities say both men, ages 43 and 56, had licenses to carry concealed weapons.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Sound like Darwin Award Winners to me. Glad they took care of each other. Hope they didn't have children.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 pm

I guess the guy being followed wasn't smart enough to drive himself to the nearest police station sounding the horn to draw attention. This might have scared off the person following him. Oh well, two less idiots to worry about.

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:32 pm

I saw a car with the bumper sticker "guns save lives" today. A number of responses went through my head, but my favorite was "guns don't save lives; people save lives."

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Buggy wrote:I saw a car with the bumper sticker "guns save lives" today. A number of responses went through my head, but my favorite was "guns don't save lives; people save lives."
I think I would amend it to "People with guns save lives".

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 pm

GaTechGal wrote:I think I would amend it to "People with guns save lives".
By shooting other people with guns who shoot back at the people with guns who, like the two clowns above, kill each other. I sense a Darwinian plot to rid the Earth of people with guns. I could be wrong.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I think what the bumper sticker is referring to is a good Samaritan with a gun, that could potentially take out a bad guy, intent on killing many people, thus saving those many lives. Usually these criminals would not expect anyone to shot at them once they have started their attack. This action would change their behavior from predator to prey. They would then have to change their plans very quickly if they want to survive. Some of these people just want to go out in a hail of bullets and expect to be killed by the police, or they are planning on killing themselves once their bloodlust is satisfied. An armed society is a polite society. If criminals knew more people would be armed they would think twice before committing their crimes. ;)