New Gate free turnstiles

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

New Gate free turnstiles

Post by NemoRanger » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I am suprised nobody has mentioned anything about the new gate free turnstiles. Personally I think they are great in theory but I just do not see them working in the long run.

I think they area really easy and neat to use. I love that quest relations is right there behind the turnstiles ready to take care of any issues.

My biggest concern is there is no way to block people off. Its so easy for a person to just blast right past the cast members. If you have ever worked turnstiles you will know that lots of people just do not understand the ticket concept. I have had people walk right into the turnstile after waving a ticket at me and then freak out when the arm doesnt move so they try harder and harder to get it to move before I say something. It all happens so fast too.

People are always in such a rush to get inside the parks that they crowd the machines and try and jam multiple tickets. They do not wait for green lights before entering. The designers assumed that people will line up and wait for an availble machine. What is going to happen when it starts raining. They are all going to gang up on some poor CM. Its a nightmare waiting to happen.

Lastly, there is no way to close off the entrance anymore. They put up ropes but any cm knows that SG do not care about ropes. They open gates, doors and ropes all the time. If its blocking a path they want to go they simple go over or under it. They do not think that its up for a reason.

I forsee a time in the near future when we will see guest walking around the parks in the early morning hours because they go to there before the turnstile cast did. When I was opening turnstiles I would often come in the park and see families sitting and waiting for us to open the parks. I never understood why anyone would wake up hours before the park opened to wait at the turnstiles.

I guess we shall see. I thought this was all test but I was told that this is the future.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: New Gate free turnstiles

Post by 5th Dimension » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I can see this issue happening at FP+ locations too. People will scan their card or wristband, it'll turn blue, which means there is a issue (such as they missed their time or have a FP for another attraction on the other side of the park). Then they'll start saying "but please, I don't want to walk over there, I have an emergency, I have a plane flight"

But they do have the option to change it to a later time if there are still FP available at that time. I guess that emergency will have to wait!

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Would someone mind explaining, or posting a link to explain what this new system is exactly?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 pm

KieranDotW wrote:Would someone mind explaining, or posting a link to explain what this new system is exactly?
The blue plastic "Key To The World" card is issued to hotel guests. It may also contain charging privileges, dining plan access, and Park admission.

For some time now, these have used a magnetic stripe for machine interface. This is why the KTTW cards are swiped at hotel room doors, retail checkout, dining locations, and Park turnstiles.

The new KTTW stock has an RFID transponder embedded within it. Now, rather that swiping a mag stripe, you just hold the KTTW next to a sensor, and your room door opens, merchandise is charged to your account, your meal is paid for, or you enter the Park. This goes by the service mark "Tap and Go", suggesting it's faster, which it usually is.

The underlying computer systems are the same in both cases, only the interface device is different. And for now, both systems work.

Look for a future development when the KTTW card is replaced by a wristband -- coming soon to a resort near you!

Questions?

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Zazu wrote:Look for a future development when the KTTW card is replaced by a wristband -- coming soon to a resort near you!
The follow on to wristbands will be a microchip implant. They will be made available to AP holders first. The chip will be implanted into the AP's right buttock. CMs will be able to identify AP's immediately as whenever they wish to pay for something, the AP will approach you butt first.

The butt implant will also allow for personalization of each attraction. Sensors will be added to the seats so each AP is identified. Personalization could result in interactions like Jack Sparrow on POTC calling out to a AP.

"Hey Larry, thanks for the 5% tip you left for lunch at the Blue Bayou. What a cheapskate! Where did you get that haircut? A Flowbee?!?!"

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Zazu wrote: And for now, both systems work.

Questions?
Yes, one question. Please define "work" as indicated by the context of the above statement.

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm

hhsrat wrote:Yes, one question. Please define "work" as indicated by the context of the above statement.
By "work" in this context, I mean that the sum of the success rates for the two systems total more than 100%.

Unfortunately, this does *not* mean that 100% of the KTTW work on at least one system at all times. Even Disney can't override Murphy's Law!

Zazu

TdcOgre
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by TdcOgre » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Zazu wrote:By "work" in this context, I mean that the sum of the success rates for the two systems total more than 100%.

Unfortunately, this does *not* mean that 100% of the KTTW work on at least one system at all times. Even Disney can't override Murphy's Law!
He was way too optimistic.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm

hobie16 wrote:The follow on to wristbands will be a microchip implant. They will be made available to AP holders first. The chip will be implanted into the AP's right buttock. CMs will be able to identify AP's immediately as whenever they wish to pay for something, the AP will approach you butt first.

The butt implant will also allow for personalization of each attraction. Sensors will be added to the seats so each AP is identified. Personalization could result in interactions like Jack Sparrow on POTC calling out to a AP.

"Hey Larry, thanks for the 5% tip you left for lunch at the Blue Bayou. What a cheapskate! Where did you get that haircut? A Flowbee?!?!"
I must protest this. Everyone knows that microchips work better when implanted in the left buttock! :)

I do like the idea of having a set-up where attractions can be personalized based on guest information, though, joking example aside.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:I must protest this. Everyone knows that microchips work better when implanted in the left buttock! :)
You're right. For men, their wallets might attenuate the signal.
I do like the idea of having a set-up where attractions can be personalized based on guest information, though, joking example aside.
Okay, I admit using Captain Jack to abuse a cheapskate was over the top. We'll use the dog with the jail door keys instead. He could have a Scooby Doo voice.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.