New Gate free turnstiles

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: New Gate free turnstiles

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 am

turkeyham wrote:My mom was mentioning me about the band. She said instead of pulling out a credit card, you can have your credit card info on the band? I still think I would rather purchase everything with my credit card. Sorry it has been a while since I have been on.
I wouldn't mind the band as long as the PIN approach mentioned above or some other mechanism is used. Maybe use the biometrics?

Nice to see you back, turkeyham

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 am

It was handy to use the KTTW for our purchases. I would have loved to use the band with a pin code. I don't see to much difference than the KTTW program. If you lose your card, someone could rack up charges on that lost card without too much problem as long as they don't spend over $50 per transaction. That way no one is asking for ID and you aren't signing anything. I was worried about that, but a pin code would solve that pretty easy.

Csaks
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Csaks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Don't know if this is still relevant for these cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJSxFtEG4E

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

NemoRanger wrote:...

My biggest concern is there is no way to block people off. Its so easy for a person to just blast right past the cast members. If you have ever worked turnstiles you will know that lots of people just do not understand the ticket concept. I have had people walk right into the turnstile after waving a ticket at me and then freak out when the arm doesnt move so they try harder and harder to get it to move before I say something. It all happens so fast too....
Going back to Nemo's concerns in the OP, here's a thought: Maybe the company is trying something radically new -- the entryway is no longer a gate, physically allowing you access to the property or not, as much as an electronic check-in. After all, if they will now be able to track your movements with the RFID wristbands and tickets, they can track those who swiped their tag at the entry but were denied for whatever reason. If they blow past a red light (or whatever Disney-fied equivalent these new "gates" have) into the park, their tags will give a way for security to track them down?

If this is true, it of course would not work if the violator pushed into the entrance without any tagged medium, or if he/she took off the wristband or otherwise abandoned the RFID tag. Then only solution then would be to tag people bodily (see Revelation 13:16-17 :cool :) .

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I was in the parks last week, and it was apparent ho fast the new turnstyles put guests thrrough. However with about 1/3 of the turnstyles in the process of being converted, forcing the paper ticket folks to use the few old style turnstiles really slowed things down. Never a line up at the rfid, but up to a 10 minute wait for the old style. It made us, as AP holders feel kind of second class, when our friends were able to breeze though the RFIDturnstile with their 7 day tickets on the room key. I know that the AP will eventually work this way too, but in the meantime the optics aren't great.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:35 am

Wombat hit my thoughts dead on for reasons against an RFID system put into the body, not to mention all the loss of freedom when you have one of those stuck in you. It's much easier to hide a reader in plain sight than to hide a chip from a reader.

Now, at Disney, I see a major upside to this technology: Shrink. Mr. Anderson decided to walk out without paying for item X, CM sees it happen, and doesn't even need a good physical description. They just watch for Mr. Anderson to leave the store, peg him in the system, and Agent Smith can now track him anywhere.

Wow, am I a nerd or what?

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Wow, am I a nerd or what?
Red pill or blue pill?

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:47 am

TiggerHappy wrote:Red pill or blue pill?
One pill two pill red pill blue pill
Black pill blue pill old pill new pill
Some are red and some are blue. some are old and some are new.
Some are sad and some are glad. And some are very, very bad.
Why are they sad and glad and bad? I don’t know. Go ask Morpheus.

:twisted:

ashoutinthedark
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ashoutinthedark » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 am

hobie16 wrote:At some point someone will gather up a bag full of wrist bands and carry them through an RFID reader location which would flash mob the system.
Been a while, but I found myself ghosting through the forums again and thought I'd chime in. This would be simple enough to solve, you put a limit on the amount of hits the system will take in a time frame. Let's say your average amount of people who walk through the door is 3 across, so you give it a six-scan limit on a two second reset. More than enough time to push through the six requests and still not lose any people walking through.

The big thing you would have to worry about is malicious code written by someone with the capability to print their own RFID chip. They would be extremely difficult to track, since they could carry the chip in an RFID blocking wallet, and stick it in their pocket when they want it to hit. It would be impossible to catch them without closely monitoring every guest moving through the park, and the potential for damage is astronomical if your systems are all interconnected.

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 pm

ashoutinthedark wrote:Been a while, but I found myself ghosting through the forums again and thought I'd chime in. This would be simple enough to solve, you put a limit on the amount of hits the system will take in a time frame. Let's say your average amount of people who walk through the door is 3 across, so you give it a six-scan limit on a two second reset. More than enough time to push through the six requests and still not lose any people walking through.

The big thing you would have to worry about is malicious code written by someone with the capability to print their own RFID chip. They would be extremely difficult to track, since they could carry the chip in an RFID blocking wallet, and stick it in their pocket when they want it to hit. It would be impossible to catch them without closely monitoring every guest moving through the park, and the potential for damage is astronomical if your systems are all interconnected.
There is already a check in place. If a RFID was scanned, and there is something wrong with it, the screen turns blue, and the CM must clear it manually in order for the touch point to work again. So anything scanned after a problem does nothing at all. Also, after a scan works, the next person has to wait a couple of seconds to scan. This is true for the FP+ system anyway.