Get Ready WDW CMs

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Get Ready WDW CMs

Post by WEDFan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:07 am

5th Dimension wrote:I think Disney makes their toys and products so cheaply that they could put just about any discount on that merchandise and make a profit. Some of those picture frames break very easily, just taking them out of the box could damage them.
In the past, I've been involved with ordering screened t-shirts and sweatshirts for a small, non-profit shop -- quantities of 2-3 dozen; Hanes products. Got a price of $6 for the T's. I can't imagine what their unit cost on them would be.

That being said, I understand that they use food and merchandise to make up profit margin as an offset to other areas where they can't get the same return, and I'm mostly okay with that. At least I would be if their selection of merchandise didn't suck.

EpcotFan
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by EpcotFan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm just wrapping up a 5 day stay at WDW and I'm going home with a lot of money still in my wallet. I wanted to replace some of the Disney polos I have that are wearing out, but I couldn't find anything except the generic ones with a little Mickey logo on them. Nothing park specific. No 2013 polos. Nothing attraction specific, even for the new Test Track. I did find DVC and Boardwalk polos, but they were still out of stock of XXL (this is after looking for them in October). There were lots of "distressed" T-shirts, but if I want an old worn out looking T-shirt, I have lots in the back of my closet -- why would I buy a new one?

As a Disney fan and a Disney shareholder, I'm more than a little disappointed. But I'm powerless to do anything except take my money back home. :(

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 am

EpcotFan wrote:I'm just wrapping up a 5 day stay at WDW and I'm going home with a lot of money still in my wallet. I wanted to replace some of the Disney polos I have that are wearing out, but I couldn't find anything except the generic ones with a little Mickey logo on them. Nothing park specific. No 2013 polos. Nothing attraction specific, even for the new Test Track. I did find DVC and Boardwalk polos, but they were still out of stock of XXL (this is after looking for them in October). There were lots of "distressed" T-shirts, but if I want an old worn out looking T-shirt, I have lots in the back of my closet -- why would I buy a new one?

As a Disney fan and a Disney shareholder, I'm more than a little disappointed. But I'm powerless to do anything except take my money back home. :(
Poor you! If it makes you feel any better to use the money to help support a retiree, on a pitifully small fixed income, I'd be glad to give you my mailing address. ;)

:goofy: :goofy:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 am

EpcotFan wrote:As a Disney fan and a Disney shareholder, I'm more than a little disappointed. But I'm powerless to do anything except take my money back home. :(
Send a letter to Iger. He probably won't see it but it will get passed on to the right people. Whether they do anything is another matter.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Sue M
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Sue M » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 am

drcorey wrote:and ap sales will prolly go down too.
the discounts was a reason to layout big bucks.
Well, sort of true for us. We usually go to wdw twice a year, 10 nights for our trip this month, and 12 nights in August. So will still get an AP, but prob just the regular one, since the 20% isn't an incentive anymore. I'll just pay oop for 1 or 2 water park admissions. If we decide to go to them.
Guess no more Dooneys for me, lol. Will def. affect my park spending.
Lets not even go into the AP resort discounts, lol.

Csaks
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Csaks » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:18 pm

bookbabe wrote:But personally, I think that's likely due to the quality and selection of the merchandise, not necessarily the price or how often you visit. I know it is for me. I'd happily buy more t-shirts, for example, if they still had cool and unique ones like the ones you describe. Once you have one crappy generic character shirt, do you really need another? I wish they had more hotel- and ride-specific stuff again, and more country-specific stuff in WS. I understand why they've gone with a "same stuff in every store" approach, but it really sucks the will to shop out of frequent visitors...
I agree wholeheartedly, is everything merchandise and food going the one for all route?
It was so cool in the early 2000's to get either ride or resort specific merchandise and big kid stuff. Cartoon t-shirts are great for walking around Disney but other than working around the house I wouldn't wear them out. It's great for the wallet because we are not interested in the usual cartoon stuff. I have a nice sweatshirt that I bought in Pleasure Island back in 2001, an easy to look at green with Walt Disney World and the park Icons just above it (Tree, Castle, Epcots ball and the ear water tower) embroidered in white. I like it because it isn't your typical cartoon, in your face Disney clothing, it's a nice casual sweatshirt that I have worn many places.. It cost me a fortune BUT it has lasted 12 yrs and still going strong.
Last few times we were looking around and this kinda stuff is just disappearing. Can't find anything like it anywhere. Plus I refuse to buy 'Disney Parks' stuff because I want place specific stuff.
As for the food, from 2001 to 2010 the choices and quality have gone down in my opinion. I guess there is some bean counter somewhere that thinks that this is a great idea but I think it made a difference in the trips we've had. I liked the fact you would have to go to Animal Kingdom to get something (food or Merchandise) that only AK had.
Maybe it was the little things that subconsciously put Disney that one step up from the others but now instead of continuing up those imaginary steps they are turning around to meet the competition on the lower one. Sorry for the ramble, this whole thing bugs the crap outta me.

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I guess that kind of stuff might be getting a little harder to find, but I think it's still out there. Carsland has done a great job of having area specific merch. We loved picking stuff up that is only available there. We found a few things like that in the World, but we liked everything we saw, so maybe I'm no help.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm

My wife and I are premium pass holders. Our passes expire in a couple of weeks. This is going to be taken into account in our decison to stay with a premium pass or not. We spend a couple of thousand dollars every year at WDW between the dinning there and all the souvenirs we collect. The 20% discount was a great incentive to help us spend our money more freely there.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Csaks wrote:As for the food, from 2001 to 2010 the choices and quality have gone down in my opinion.
I'm with you on the merchandise, but I beg to differ about the food. I think it's gotten better in the past decade, at least at table service locations (we don't eat quick service much). If you don't think so, look me up on your next visit and I'll show you some of the best!

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Meanwhile on the Left Coast...

... official response from Disney: "While we regularly evaluate discount and offers for our Disneyland Resort annual passholders, we don't currently anticipate any changes to the Disneyland Resort Annual Passholder merchandise discount in 2013."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.