Thanking CMS

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Re: Thanking CMS

Post by BRWombat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm

tripler23 wrote:...
Anyone work as a character...?
Sure! Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Daisy, Huey... Oh -- do any SGT'ers work as characters? Sorry, no.

But some of them work very closely with the characters... :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

tripler23
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tripler23 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 pm

BRWombat wrote:Sure! Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Daisy, Huey... Oh -- do any SGT'ers work as characters? Sorry, no.

LOL..

I was wondering if one could lend some general advice ..
Last visit some of the characters spent "quality" time with my little one, ie playing tricks, games, a lot of banter back of and forth
while others seemed to just want to move on to the next person.
now i can only assume this has to do with crowds that day,and the possibility Minnie or Mickey might of just encountered a SG, but this leads me to my inquiry.
Is there anything that one can do to initiate more "quality" time with the character? Not all just a specific one...
(I know this is part of the magic that Disney seems to always provide with no guarantee but for my little guys birthday i would love to pull a Cooperfield. )

Can anyone offer any tips :confused:

200footdrop
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by 200footdrop » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm

I would think it would be somewhere along the lines of just being nice and friendly and not acting like a SG.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:46 pm

BRWombat wrote:Sure! Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Daisy, Huey... Oh -- do any SGT'ers work as characters? Sorry, no.

I see what you're doing there...pretty clever! :drevil:

:goofy: :goofy:

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 pm

tripler23 wrote:LOL..

I was wondering if one could lend some general advice ..
Last visit some of the characters spent "quality" time with my little one, ie playing tricks, games, a lot of banter back of and forth
while others seemed to just want to move on to the next person.
now i can only assume this has to do with crowds that day,and the possibility Minnie or Mickey might of just encountered a SG, but this leads me to my inquiry.
Is there anything that one can do to initiate more "quality" time with the character? Not all just a specific one...
(I know this is part of the magic that Disney seems to always provide with no guarantee but for my little guys birthday i would love to pull a Cooperfield. )

and dont forget. they all have different personalities.
i.e. Cruella hates kids, but will tolerate them.
Madam tralane hates kids, but her 2 daughters love kids. I have even seen charactors interact with adults.
I was just sitting once, and Ghepetto came up and shook hands and patted my arm.

Corey

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:38 am

tripler23 wrote:...for my little guys birthday i would love to pull a Cooperfield. )

I'm not an expert with characters, but I would think the presence of a Birthday button and a quick word to the CM accompanying the character along the lines of "You know, [character name here] is my little guys favorite."

Putting those together with the "nice and friendly" already suggested, and I would think you would have done everything possible to create an opportunity for magic.

tripler23
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tripler23 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:02 am

WEDFan wrote:I'm not an expert with characters, but I would think the presence of a Birthday button and a quick word to the CM accompanying the character along the lines of "You know, [character name here] is my little guys favorite."

Putting those together with the "nice and friendly" already suggested, and I would think you would have done everything possible to create an opportunity for magic.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions...greatly appreciated.

So happy stumbled upon this board.

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Try to find characters who don't have lines. Less popular characters, like Gideon, might be out there with no one to interact with, while more popular ones like Mickey might have a line a mile long. Don't pass someone by just because they're not your favorite; it might be your best interaction on your trip.

Be willing to play. Autograph books are fine and they give you something to do with a character if you're shy, but something else might be more memorable and fun. For instance: ask Timon to do his hula with you, or bow like a prince to Cinderella's mice.

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 am

tripler23 wrote: Is there anything that one can do to initiate more "quality" time with the character? Not all just a specific one...
Knowing the character helps -- you can ask them things related to their back story (asking Aurora if she takes long naps, or Snow White if she likes apples, for instance). Mixing it up a bit can be good, too -- a lot of people ask Tigger to bounce with them, so how about asking Pooh if Tigger's taught him to bounce yet? (I know the book Pooh better than the Disney version; the book version would rather not bounce, thank you very much. :p )

If you're doing a character meal, and your child has toys related to the characters, sometimes you'll get great interactions bringing the toys along. Or not -- as you recognize, depends on how much time the characters have. If you don't want to risk toys, temp tattoos or pins or clothing with character pictures on it can work well, too. Donald appreciates this sort of thing more than Mickey, and some of the more minor characters get really excited when you can show them a pin they're on. :) Some people also play with rivalries and affections or are otherwise a bit obnoxious -- asking Minnie if Mickey's giving her a ring yet; telling Chip you like Dale best (or Donald that Mickey's your favorite), etc. But be careful going that route; a favorite SGT is to make rude personal remarks about the princesses. :mad: It's the difference between giving the character the opportunity to show their personality, and being just plain insulting, if you see what I mean. Or the difference between friendly teasing (where you're playing with common history that you know both of you are essentially comfortable with) and one-up-man-ship.

Which is all just an extension on Amphigorey's "Be willing to play," but for what it's worth....

tripler23
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tripler23 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 am

Just got back ..
Thanks to all for the tips , for they came in handy when my little one actually wanted to visit with them.

Bouncing with Tigger was great.. you CMs are in tip top shape!!!
(they bounced forever)

Again thanks to all who gave me suggestions it helped add to the magic.

I will mention I might of been a SG at one point and if anyone is on here I am sorry.
I took my little one to Soarin, they measured him and let him on.. we road 3-4 times that day...
HS we rode star tours without issue.

I take him back his last day to Epcot to ride Soarin, this time he is too short to ride. So I had to question the staff (same shoes as last time ) this did prompt a trip to guest services, only to ensure that proper measuring for anyone who appears not to meet the height requirements is enforced so this doesnt happen to another young one.

But overall a great trip and a lot of the tips on this board helped .. and to all you CMs thanks again!!!!