Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
mattdbower
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler
Park: WDW
Department: Transportation
Position: Watercraft Operator

Re: Top 5 worst attractions at WDW

Post by mattdbower » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 pm

My top 5 (1 is the worst, 5 is the least worst [excuse my grammar, just trying to get my point across]):

5) Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros
This used to be a nice relaxing ride, but I guess they needed more for the kids.

4) Astro-Orbiter
Not much of anything, but always a huge line.

3) The second half of Maelstrom.
As described by Wikipedia, it is "a 6 minute film highlighting the history and folklore of Norway." I usually just walk through to the exit, but I hate it when they have it closed and you get stuck watching it.

2) Sounds Dangerous
Boring, pointless.

1) Stich's Great Escape
Nasty, vomit-inducing, waste of space.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:53 pm

mattdbower wrote:My top 5 (1 is the worst, 5 is the least worst [excuse my grammar, just trying to get my point across]):

2) Sounds Dangerous
Boring, pointless.
I am not going to try and defend most of these but for some reason when someone says that Sounds Dangerous is pointless, it kind of gets my knickers in a knot.

I'm sure that people that grew up in the MTV generation and since, do not understand the purpose of Sounds Dangerous at all, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. The attraction took the place of the old Folly set that was originally there. (Some didn't know that either) The purpose was to show the importance of sound effects. To show that you could continue a mental image of a situation by just listening to the sound effects and the words. This was a very common and familiar scenario with those of us that were around before TV was in every home. Listening to programs on the radio, (many of which eventually became TV shows) we used our imaginations to create the scenes in these shows. We built sets in our minds that were far more elaborate then anything that Hollywood ever was able to come up with. It was pure entertainment and required our participation. We couldn't multi-task and stay with a story line while playing with our Ipods. Yes...I know they didn't exist then...part of my point!

So, I understand that younger folks that have never had to use their imagination and always had a visual image to zero in on, do not understand what it is all about and are "bored" with it. It's too bad, in my opinion, because imagination is a pretty important thing in maintaining mental health and happiness.

Pointless? No! Misunderstood? Afraid so!

:goofy: :goofy:

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:25 am

Darksin wrote:Yes but I'm still including it since the placement was horrible and I still think it was a silly idea to begin with. Even if it does serve a point now.
I understand. I only mentioned it because you mentioned having 2 Dumbos and carpets. :)
kurtisnelson wrote:I have not seen that from any official sources, pretty sure carpets are staying right there.
Nope. In one of the many announcements from Disney about the new Fantacyland, it was mentioned that Carpets would be removed and used as the 2nd Dumbo.

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 am

I know I already did my 5 but 5 is not enough. So I want to add some.

1) Fantasmic. sitting there letting them spray you with water while you watch a show you can't hardly see because it's so far away. (We were in the 5th row back. It was December, cold.)

2) The new Journey into Imagination. Thanks for killing off another great ride and character (Dreamfinder).

3) Sorcerer's hat at DHS. This thing is tacky, out of place, hides the beauty and detail of Grauman's Chinese Theater. it also killed one of the biggest hidden Mickey's on the property.

4) Ellen's Energy Adventure wasn't all that great. but it was a nice way to relax and cool off and catch a nap. But with all the great rides they have killed to install something else, I am surprised this one has lasted so long.

5) The new Star Tours. It was fine the way it was. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 am

5. Backlot Studio Tour. In the beginning it was neat, but then they opened the Streets of America to walk on and shortened the tour. Then they demolished Residential Street and shortened the tour. Now it's a circle through costuming, by the graveyard through catastrophe canyon and out. Neatest thing on the tour is N234MM.

4. Journey into your imagination, WITH FIGMENT! This ride had the imagination sucked out of it and then tried to fix by shoving figment back in.

3. Astro-Orbitor/ Carpets / Dumbo. It's the same ride with a slow line and long wait. I get that the kids like it, luckily I'm willing to get there early when the line is shorter.

2. Country Bear Jamboree.

1. Stitch's Great Escape. Can I put Stitch in general up here? See: Poochie episode from The Simpsons.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:30 am

Mr. D. wrote:Nope. In one of the many announcements from Disney about the new Fantacyland, it was mentioned that Carpets would be removed and used as the 2nd Dumbo.
Do you have a link to this announcement? I thought I'd seen all of the info that was out there, but I must have missed this one somehow. I wonder what other details I might have missed...

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 pm

The attractions I won't willingly go on (unless a friend really wants to) form my list:
  • Astro-Orbiter
  • Backlot Studio Tour
  • anything in Dinoland
  • Dinosaur!
  • Lights-Motors-Action
  • Listen to the Land (now that live narration is gone)
  • Stitch's Great Escape

Zazu

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 pm

#5. Spaceship Earth 2007- Judi Dench makes my eardrums want to burst, and the new ending is a joke.
#4. Stitch's Great Escape- The theme park gods were merciful when I was there and the chili dog stench (which sticks on your clothes all day, btw) was broken. But stull. Seriously, Disney?
#3. Test Track- *dodges tomatoes* I like rides that are either well themed and fun or thrilling. Test Track is neither. And I really would have loved to ride World of Motion.
#2. Journey Into Your Imagination '02- I honestly liked JIYI '99 better. It also makes me think that pumping bad smells into a ride is Disney's way of distracting you from a poorly thought out ride. Also, I don't like the feeling that I'm walking over the old turntable for JII's first scene. It gives me the creeps.
#1: Mission Space- What a poor replacement for Horizons. :(

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:The attraction took the place of the old Folly set that was originally there. (Some didn't know that either) The purpose was to show the importance of sound effects.
Pointless? No! Misunderstood? Afraid so!
I would love to work foley. If you have any decent understanding of how sound works on TV, it's probably still the most amazing part, that the sound of someone walking took someone either sitting at a computer these days, or often still doing it the good old organic way, watching a clip and recreating the sound effect required by hitting things, rubbing other things, and all sorts of other ways that they create sound effects. The fact that they do it in real time with the video clip still astounds me, since as we watch someone walk, we don't even think about the fact that we're not actually hearing their footfalls. I remember the old attraction and loved it. The one time I was fortunate enough to see it, the cast member working the attraction was very good at panicking.
Zazu wrote:The attractions I won't willingly go on (unless a friend really wants to) form my list:
  • Listen to the Land (now that live narration is gone)
Formerly the best attraction at Disney World, in my opinion. But when you redesign your attraction so that a monkey can come in and replace me (heck, you don't even care that I have a personality any more) you can have an attraction go from being one that is awesome to one that sucks in a matter of days.

The worst slap about that one, though? There is still a place to plug in a microphone.

If they were to return that attraction to its original glory, I would be at Casting tomorrow, going back to full time, as many hours a day as I could.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Mr. D.
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Mr. D. » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:12 am

bookbabe wrote:Do you have a link to this announcement? I thought I'd seen all of the info that was out there, but I must have missed this one somehow. I wonder what other details I might have missed...
There were several different sources about the expansion. One being the Orlando Sentinel daily Disney site.

So finding a direct link would be kinda hard. I will see what I can find.