Remembering Pleasure Island

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
OldTimePIGuy
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Remembering Pleasure Island

Post by OldTimePIGuy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Today (actually yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post) marks the 3rd anniversary of the demise of Pleasure Island. I know it was loved by some more than others, but I would like to ask everyone for a moment of silence in rememberence of this solemn occasion.

Thank you. I would like to invite any and all to post a favortie memory. I would really like to hear from anyone who may have been there during the "wild wild west" days of the early 90's when I was there.

There are many memories but one of my favorites was pulling confetti duty on top of the Comedy Warehouse right after it rained. Back in those days the cannons were totally hand held so you had the cannon holder and someone who scooped the confetti into the gun from a bin. After the bin was empty, the scooper would scoop all of the confetti that had fallen on the ground, which was now soaking wet, and wad it up into a big confetti spitball and we would shoot it at the Adventurer's Club. Well over the guests heads of course.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Remembering Pleasure Island

Post by Zazu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 pm

OldTimePIGuy wrote:I would like to invite any and all to post a favortie memory.
Mine is probably the time that Dusty the Maid beat me up on stage. Or maybe it was the argument I got into with Hathaway Brown....

I did tell those tales here, right?

Zazu

Planner
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Planner » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

My first trip to WDW with my husband, his very first trip ever and our dear TA talked us into wearing matching outfits...oh the horror. It was a very slow week night right between two hurricanes so the place was dead and my quiet and very shy husband was as red as his shirt.

We loved AC and went back on every trip though never again wearing matching shirts.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]"You can't just let nature run wild"[/font]
Walt Disney

Wonder if he was thinking about a SG:D:

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 am

When all of us from Atlantic Dance would go over an invade Jazz Night at the Adventurers Club. That was always a personal favorite memory and lot's of fun in the process.

Other then that, it would be hanging out after we all escaped High School at Beach Club and dancing the night away. It was far easier to get drinks at PI then it was the downtown clubs, we where bad kids ;)

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 am

When you're upstairs watching down and the Colonel tells you in no uncertain terms that he can see up your shorts...

Or when there was the young lady wearing a very open neckline, they got her name from a previous discussion, Graves makes an announcement from upstairs and greets said young lady by name from up there...

And every guy in the house wishes right then that he had Graves's job...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 am

I miss my home in the Mask Room (like it says under my name, I was evicted from the Mask Room). Before the Adventurer's Club closed it said "Lives in the Mask Room".

A little explanation: I was visiting the Club one evening (IIRC I was there with BW) and we were in the Mask Room with Hathaway Browne. We were sitting near the front and Hathaway asked where I was from. I said something like "from here" and he replied along the lines of "The Mask Room? That explains the sleeping bag". So I became a resident of the Mask Room (at least in my own head).

IMNSHO whoever made the decision to close the Adventurers Club will answer to God. The other clubs weren't so special (IMO) but the Adventurers Club (and to a lesser extent the Comedy Warehouse) were unique, there's no other place quite like them.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Buggy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:12 am

I only got to go to the Adventurer's Club twice but it was easily my favorite part of the Island. Just sitting there and watching everything and taking it all in was wonderful.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:50 am

OldTimePIGuy wrote:I would like to invite any and all to post a favortie memory.
I went to tthe AC once with a good-sized group. I was not feeling well, but doing my best to soldier on. We went into the Mask Room for a presentation, and since it was busy, our group ended up scattered through the room. Being a little fuzzy-minded at the time, my recolection is a little fuzzy so I don't remember who our host in the room was, but she was doing her spiel about the various maskes, and when she looks at me and says, "Oh, sir, I'm sorry to say you are sitting under the Sick Tourist Mask." Well, I don't know if she picked up on my illness or if it was coincidence, but everyone in my group burst out laughing. That left a number of other people looking a little confused, since the laughter was out of proportion to the joke (seemingly) and the people who thought it was hilarious weren't obviously in a group.
Zazu wrote:Mine is probably the time that Dusty the Maid beat me up on stage. Or maybe it was the argument I got into with Hathaway Brown....

I did tell those tales here, right?
You may have, but I've never seen them in my reading here. Please tell again?!?

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 pm

WEDFan wrote:You may have, but I've never seen them in my reading here. Please tell again?!?
It was late October of 2004, we were in the Library, and Dusty the Maid had donned a sarong over her maid's costume, and was teaching us a Hawaiian song. As you may recall, at one point she picks a member of the audience to participate by uttering some Polynesian word and thrusting the microphone into some poor schmuck as a challenge to repeat it back to her.

That night, I was the designated schmuck.

I repeated the word correctly.

Dusty then recited a Polynesian phrase, and thrust the microphone at me.

I repeated the phrase correctly.

Surprised, Dusty then recited a long Polynesian sentence, and defiantly thrust the microphone before me like a challenge.

I repeated the whole sentence correctly.

This did not please her. She responded with several paragraphs of Polynesian indignation, sprinkled with a few words she probably picked up backstage (I remember that "101" was one of them). She then, smiling a sly grin, presented the microphone to me once again, certain that she had outspoken me.

I looked deep into her eyes, and, mindful that the election was just a few weeks away, put on my best Texas drawl and said....

"And I approved this message."

That is when she began to beat me over the head and shoulders, shouting over the laughter in the room those famous words, "You're not supposed to be funnier than we are!!!"

Zazu

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Zazu wrote:It was late October of 2004, we were in the Library, and Dusty the Maid had donned a sarong over her maid's costume, and was teaching us a Hawaiian song. As you may recall, at one point she picks a member of the audience to participate by uttering some Polynesian word and thrusting the microphone into some poor schmuck as a challenge to repeat it back to her.

That night, I was the designated schmuck.

I repeated the word correctly.

Dusty then recited a Polynesian phrase, and thrust the microphone at me.

I repeated the phrase correctly.

Surprised, Dusty then recited a long Polynesian sentence, and defiantly thrust the microphone before me like a challenge.

I repeated the whole sentence correctly.

This did not please her. She responded with several paragraphs of Polynesian indignation, sprinkled with a few words she probably picked up backstage (I remember that "101" was one of them). She then, smiling a sly grin, presented the microphone to me once again, certain that she had outspoken me.

I looked deep into her eyes, and, mindful that the election was just a few weeks away, put on my best Texas drawl and said....

"And I approved this message."

That is when she began to beat me over the head and shoulders, shouting over the laughter in the room those famous words, "You're not supposed to be funnier than we are!!!"
That will teach her to try to schmuck with you! :p:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D: