Visiting with 1st timers.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Visiting with 1st timers.

Post by breathless » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi all! Just some simple questions that I know I will most likely get a ton of answers to...

Hubby and I are visiting in October with a family of 4 (Mom, Dad, 14y Daughter, 5y Son) who have never been before. I know the boy is excited for Star Tours and Indiana Jones, no clue what the daughter is looking forward to, and the parents have no clue where to start.

What are the teens into these days?

Are there still 1st timer buttons?

Any issues with decorating their window on property as long as it can come down easily without damage?

Is it okay to bring in small granola bars in the AM?

And more for my benefit, around what time is the eat to the beat concerts?

I tried looking else where for answers, but people seemed to have the idea that they were the customer and they were going to do what ever they want.

This will be my 8th time to a Disney park (7th at WDW) so we have the system figured out pretty well, but I don't want to steer them in the wrong direction and "ruin" their vacation.

Any other tips would be great to keep the 6 of us from looking like SG!

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica:

knitster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Visiting with 1st timers.

Post by knitster » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 pm

I can only answer one of your questions - yes, they still have 1st visit buttons. We got ours in May! :D:

[font="Century Gothic"]amanda wife to kevin mom to caedmon 10, presley 5, and hendrix 1[/font]

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:27 pm

First time buttons will be @ Emporium on westside, ShowCase & Clothiers on eastside Main street. They are in all stores but get them on Main Street after you enter. Seems easiest. Of course you may bring granola bars, just not a truck load. ;) Your teen will like POTC, BTMR, Splash, Space Mt, Star Tours, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, HM, Soarin', TOT, Ca. Screaming, TOT, Grizzly Rapids & many attractions I've overlooked. Call your hotel & ask abt decorating properety windows. We have done this for MAW children, but were very careful. Oct. is a great time to visit DLR. Have fun!

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm

There were doors decorated at the DLH on our trip, I don't think they will have an issue with windows as long as it comes off clean.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:39 pm

breathless wrote:What are the teens into these days?
Depends on the teen.
Are there still 1st timer buttons?
There are supposed to be. If your hotel is out, ask at guest relations inside a park.
Any issues with decorating their window on property as long as it can come down easily without damage?
Housekeeping won't be happy, but too bad. Use "poster tape" so it all comes off the window.
Is it okay to bring in small granola bars in the AM?
Depends, how many thousands you want to bring? But yes, outside food is permitted in the theme parks so long as there are no glass containers or alcohol. Fresh food is discouraged due to the risk of spoilage, but bars are fine.

Note: While all parks but Magic Kingdom *sell* alcohol, you can't bring it in from outside. State law.
And more for my benefit, around what time is the eat to the beat concerts?
5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m.
I tried looking else where for answers, but people seemed to have the idea that they were the customer and they were going to do what ever they want.
Try <passporter.com> for less stupid forums. Buy one of their guidebooks (or somebody else's) for my best advice. [Disclaimer: I edit these and have a financial stake in the business.]
Any other tips would be great to keep the 6 of us from looking like SG!
Read here -- don't act like that. :p:

Zazu

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 am

Zazu wrote:Try <passporter.com> for less stupid forums. Buy one of their guidebooks (or somebody else's) for my best advice. [Disclaimer: I edit these and have a financial stake in the business.]
I have no stake in the Passporter guides and I highly recommend them. They're chock-full of useful information.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am

AllEar.net is also an excellent resourse. Http://allears.net/index.html They also recommend the Passporter books, but their site has helpful information about the Disney hotels, restaurants, what's closed for re-hab, and many other things. They also have a e-newsletter you can subscribe to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kerbear135
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by kerbear135 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 am

We've seen hotel room window decorated before- Halloween window clings and such. Make sure whatever granola bars you bring don't have chocolate in them- they'll be melty and messy!

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 am

At Christmas we stayed at Pop Century and someone had gone all out decorating their room. They had two trees, window and door decorations, stuff all over one room that was adjoined with another. I have no idea how they got it there. Looked amazing but must have been a lot of work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by breathless » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am

These are some great tips! Hubby and I have stayed at Pop Century 2 times now and we love that hotel... we've seen people with decorated windows and thought it was cool. We went on the Disney Wonder last December and we decorated our door and thought it was fun so I mentioned putting something up in our window this time and he jumped at the idea.

Another question.... anyone seen a "what time is the 3'oclock parade" shirt anywhere?

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica: