Visiting with 1st timers.

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Visiting with 1st timers.

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I don't think you'll get any argument from most people here about PassPorter. We have someone here who has done some work on it as well, though I would bet you may already know who that is. So two PassPorter contributors here. Very nice.
Actually, I think those were Zazu's words in dvonholdt's message. It just wasn't quoted as usual. dvonholdt's message was the second paragraph.

[Missing quote code has been inserted. --Zazu]

breathless
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by breathless » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I don't think you'll get any argument from most people here about PassPorter. We have someone here who has done some work on it as well, though I would bet you may already know who that is. So two PassPorter contributors here. Very nice.

Also, I see you've been here since 2009, but it would appear you never got your proper welcome, frying or beverage. So let's get that rolling.

:sgthello:

Sorry it comes two and a half years late.
Thanks for the welcome!!! I know I don't post a ton, but as it gets closer to trips I like to check out the more recent SGT. I also like to thank the cast members that we've come in contact with through out the years. They've got to deal with some of the rudest people in the world some days.

All it takes is faith trust and pixie dust... and Rock n' Roll!!!:jessica:

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 pm

mousefan wrote:I think you may be out of date for Tourguide mike - believe it or not his info has been really out of date, and late -

This free site has the same information (ie Best Days, articles, and a forum - free)
http://www.easywdw.com/

There seem to be a lot of ex-TGM'ers there - very friendly and easy going site

I also agree with a PP and go to the library and sit with a lot of those books - I love Passporter for keeping it all together - great information and maps!
Will have to investigate further. But I will still stand by the philosophy being top notch. If you really incorportate it, you can really do a great job planning yourself. I'll still use it for our next trip.

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:35 am

TourGuideMike is practically closed down at this point (I never used it, but I have heard from other sources).

Allears is awesome!!! And so is the Passporter. My three year old brings me the book and asks me to read it to him, like it's a story! :) He loves looking at the maps. I think that's why I like Passporter so much.....very detailed maps of both the parks and the resorts. Plus, for the teen, they have teen tips and ideas that a teen might be interested in.

Zazu, can you PM me and tell me who you are so I can look you up on my book? Thanks. Not like I wasn't impressed before, but now I am in total awe......

DonutGoddess
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by DonutGoddess » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:10 pm

What I like most about AllEars.net are the newsletters. I read them on my phone while I am at work to cheer me up.

Tickets for something go on sale tomorrow and I am trying to remember for what. I think it is for the special events for the Food and Wine festival but I have yet to see a complete listing. Or maybe it's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party. Uggghhh. Going to need more overtime pay to support my Disney habit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

siskaren
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by siskaren » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 pm

DragonFox98 wrote: Zazu, can you PM me and tell me who you are so I can look you up on my book? Thanks. Not like I wasn't impressed before, but now I am in total awe......
I checked my PasssPorter and I'm pretty sure I know who Zazu is ;) (Look under the PassPorter team section).
DonutGoddess wrote:What I like most about AllEars.net are the newsletters. I read them on my phone while I am at work to cheer me up.

Tickets for something go on sale tomorrow and I am trying to remember for what. I think it is for the special events for the Food and Wine festival but I have yet to see a complete listing. Or maybe it's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party. Uggghhh. Going to need more overtime pay to support my Disney habit.
Tomorrow is supposed to be the first day to book the Candlelight Processional dinner package.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Y'all, I'd like to apologize for recommending TourGuideMike. I've used him for YEARS, but hadn't be over at the site for like a year and a half (sigh - since our last trip) and I didn't realize the state of things over there. It's such a shame. I had such phenomenal results from his advice that I'm saddened it's so out of date. So I'll try over at easywdw and see what I think.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Question for the CMs out there...how's touringplans.com for that kind of stuff? Specifically crowd levels and the ways to avoid them... :D: I like the site, but I've never been able to tell how accurate it is.

knitster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by knitster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:26 pm

bookbabe wrote:Question for the CMs out there...how's touringplans.com for that kind of stuff? Specifically crowd levels and the ways to avoid them... :D: I like the site, but I've never been able to tell how accurate it is.
I used touring plans (and their Lines app on my iPhone) in May and from what I could tell, they were spot on w/crowd level predictions and wait times.

[font="Century Gothic"]amanda wife to kevin mom to caedmon 10, presley 5, and hendrix 1[/font]

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 pm

bookbabe wrote:Question for the CMs out there...how's touringplans.com for that kind of stuff? Specifically crowd levels and the ways to avoid them... :D:
Not a CM, but my only problem with touring plans is that it's more a measurement of wait times than crowd levels. If you're there just for the rides, it's good. But if you're more about avoiding the crowds while checking out the park or watching the live performances, it can give the wrong impression. Usually the ride times and crowd levels are pretty closely related, but special events can change that.

For example, the food and wine festival in Epcot or the Star Wars weekends in Hollywood Studios don't hike the ride times as much as a crowd that size would on an ordinary day, because a fair percentage of the people are there for the event rather than the rides. Their crowd numbers would pretty accurately portray the crowds in Future Land during the food and wine festival, but the countries will be more crowded than usual with ride waits at that level.

Not a problem if rides are all that matter, of course. And IIRC, the book had some great tips on routes to avoid at certain times (like the congested area where Fantasyland meets Liberty Square in the MK), but on second thought, maybe that was at Dad's Guide. :p: And you can look at their write up on what the various crowd levels mean and use that as a guide to which rides have the longest lines and stuff.

From what I've heard, their ride wait times are as accurate as anyone's. Which is to say, on par with a good TV weatherman's predictions on the weather. ;)