Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Post by bookbabe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm

delsdad wrote:I'm guessing that your schools initials are M.P. ? Thats where we expect my daughter will be going for the IB program. A coworkers daughter just finished her first year in the program, and they are very please with the school.
I wasn't aware that they didn't use the regular guidance office for the IB students.
Nope...although that is a good school. :-) I'm not sure if they use the same model as us, but it's likely. The IB program is so different than the regular Ontario diploma, it just makes sense to have a separate expert coordinating it as far as the academics go. The IB kids do see regular counsellors for social/emotional issues, though, just on an as-needed basis. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get used to the system it works pretty well as a way of dividing up responsibilities.

accioetoile
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by accioetoile » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 pm

bookbabe wrote:It sounds like the system in the States is really different. I mean, how can guidance miss that a kid's failed a class? Our computers spit out a list and we meet with each and every one of those kids to figure out a plan. And what happens to the kids that don't graduate in four years? Where do they go? My mind is just boggled...
To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to take the English classes that I needed to make up at my school, because I wouldn't have had a full schedule, but I'm not 100% sure. My mother might have decided that it would have been better for me to take night classes at local high schools. I technically ended up taking classes at 3 different high schools.

But, normally, if a kid doesn't graduate, they just tend to go out in the world without a diploma. Some of them will end up with their GED, which is what my guidance counselor initially suggested to me, gave me the application and everything. But most tend to just not even bother. They don't get the support needed to go through with it all.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 am

I don't even remember my guidance councilor's name. There were like... 4 of them, and about 700 kids in my graduating class, and I think I saw her like twice my whole time there... and always about academic things, like picking classes.

If we needed someone to talk to about things that were bugging us or about life or about anything other than which classes to take to ensure we graduated, the Guidance Councilors were not the place too go... for that, all 2,800 or so kids in the high school went to the same man: Mr. Silverman, the school psychologist.

How he even had time in his day is beyond me. The man was a saint.

8^)

CptnSkippy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Department: F&B

Post by CptnSkippy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:24 am

I met with mine my senior year when I tried to drop an Honors economics class (I wanted to keep Theater Stagecraft, and it was only available at the same time)

She helped me move into a 10th grade AP class which would carry the same weight as my dropped class AND get to stay in theater.

Other than that, I didn't have much interaction.

Parties of 33 should consider dividing their parties into two groups of 16 and a half each.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:17 pm

DisneyMom wrote:I believe you! (they say Einstein was Autistic, and would get lost walking around the block:o :)
Actually, he was dyslexic. His father got called in to see the schoolmaster, and was told, "Let Albert do what he wants; he will never amount to anything anyway." School for him was learning by rote; you learned to read, then everything was based on written material. Fortunately, Mr. Einstein enrolled Albert into a school where children were encouraged to solve problems with their imaginations. It was there Albert Einstein flourished.

I once read an account by a lady who in her youth worked at a store near the university Einstein taught at; she worked the stationery counter. Einstein came in, checked out the #2 pencils, selected four, and when she rang up his purchase, said he owed twenty cents. Shyly, Einstein reached into his pocket, withdrew a handful of coins, along with scraps of paper and pocket lint. She took the twenty cents from his hand gave him his receipt and bagged his pencils. She wondered that a man of such intellect was unable to count change.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 am

My favorite Einstein story was passed to me by my mom many years ago. I have no way of knowing if it actually happened, but she had heard a man speak about having met Einstein in his later years.

Seems the man was staying at a nice hotel in a big city, and found out that Dr. Einstein was also staying there. The man was a great admirer of Einstein's, and hoped to have a chance to meet him. Well, one evening the man had been walking in the garden area on the hotel grounds and was standing on a small footbridge looking down into the koi pond when he saw Einstein ambling down the path towards him.

Immediately the man froze and his brain went into overdrive. Albert Einstein was coming his way! They were going to meet! What would he say? How could he express his deep respect and admiration for the man?

He froze -- and just stood on the bridge staring down into the water as Einstein approached. He walked right up to him at the railing -- the man was still tongue-tied and silent.

Einstein stopped, looked down into the water, and said in his thick accent, "Fish."

"Yes! Yes, those are fish! They're fish!" the man exclaimed.

Einstein nodded, and then continued on his walk. And that was the entire encounter! :o: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:14 pm

BRWombat wrote: Einstein nodded, and then continued on his walk. And that was the entire encounter! :o: :D:
:hysteria:

I get the impression that Einstein was not much for social chatter even in his native tongue. OTOH, he was usually willing to try to make a connection, which is one of the things that seems so lovable about him. :)

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am

Okay, fine, I'll join the crowd with my favorite Einstein story.

He was teaching a class in physics. He filled the board with equations while the class tried to follow. At some point, a brave student asked, "But Professor... does all that make sense?"

Einstein blinked, looked at the board, and then spent the next thirty minutes checking every sequence of equations. At the end came this pronouncement:

"Yes. Yes, it makes sense."

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 pm

My favorite Einstein story is how he once visited a movie studio with his wife. While there, they had him sit in a parked car, and asked them to pretend to be drive along in it as they filmed him. That evening, they showed him the finished film they had created. In it, they made it appear that His wife and him were first zipping around Los Angeles, then the car lifted off, traveling over the Rockies, and finally landing again in a German countryside. Einstein was very impressed with this.