Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
accioetoile
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Post by accioetoile » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:06 am

And I also just wanted to add, that, obviously, if a kid failed 3 out of their 4 classes, they shouldn't be allowed to walk. But if they have 1 class that they're going to make up in summer school, maybe a little more consideration should go into their case.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 am

I feel you Accioetoile though from a completely different problem.

I'm a sickly person, I always have been. Nothing major, just constantly ill in one way or another. They've never bothered to try and figure out WHY this happens but I digress. Technically I shouldn't be here now according to the doctors I ignore daily, guess I'm to stubborn to give up. :D:

I did pretty good in High School, I held my 2.5 with by doing barest amount of work humanly possible for a teenager. The school never had a problem with my sick and missing days before, a week or two at the most I'd ever missed due to a cold or the flu knocking me sideways.
My junior year, I got pneumonia. Badly.
I was down and out for 6 weeks of everything. School, Work, Dance, all the things I did simply stopped. To make a long story short: I did as much homework as my friends could get the teachers to release, Truancy officers started showing up even thought the school knew I was severely ill, My mom tired to eat the school board.. blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, I finally went back in the teachers let me make up the rest of the work when the school decided I'd simply "missed to much and had to fail" regardless of what the teachers said. Lawsuits flew, Nothing happened, I got screwed. I wasn't allowed to graduate, they dropped me from what should have been my Senior year to a Sophomore. I was told to just "Quit school cause your never going to graduate even if you take night classes".

Well, I got pissed to put it nicely. I was 18 to I withdrew myself from school and set up my GED test date the same day. Took the Florida's HSTC (high school competency test) and graduated in February of 2000. Three months before my friends with a shockingly amazing test score, in the top 5 percent.

Let me tell you, I had so very much fun showing up to Colonial High School Graduation and stuffing that smack into their astonished faces and laughing all the way back to my car. :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:

Revenge, it's damn fun! :twisted:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

accioetoile
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by accioetoile » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah, they wanted me to get my GED, too, but I refused. I took night classes, and actually ended up getting my diploma the same year as my brother, two years after my class graduated. Of course, he had the big graduation ceremony, and I walked across the floor of the guidance counselor's office while the secretary hummed "Pomp and Circumstance".

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Guidance counselor? There's a waste of space and funds. They call you in once a year, have no idea who you are or what you're interested in, and have completely forgotten you five minutes after you walk out the door.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 am

For the record, my University allowed people to walk up to 8 credits short of graduating, as long as they have proof they are registered for the courses they need during that following summer semester... so it's not totally absurd if someone's really close.

8^)

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

accioetoile wrote:And I also just wanted to add, that, obviously, if a kid failed 3 out of their 4 classes, they shouldn't be allowed to walk. But if they have 1 class that they're going to make up in summer school, maybe a little more consideration should go into their case.
Which is our policy, in fact...one short, sure, you get to walk. Three short? There's no possible way of avoiding an extra semester.

Please also keep in mind that the Ontario education system is, IMO, a lot different than that in the States. Students have until they turn 21 to finish their diploma at their local high school, and they can enroll in an adult day school after that if they still need to finish. No one is kicked out for failing classes like it sounds you were. And, we have programs like credit recovery where kids can catch up on just the missed part of a failed course, as well as credit CPR to help students rescue a credit before they fail it in the first place. In most cases (and definitely in the case of the girl the story was about) you have to actively work to fail that many classes in one semester, either by not attending school at all or by completely avoiding all of the multitude of "catch up" opportunities. Her BF also failed 4/4, BTW, which may explain where she was instead of class. Once she found out he wasn't going to grad either, she surprisingly stopped complaining...

hobie16 wrote:Guidance counselor? There's a waste of space and funds. They call you in once a year, have no idea who you are or what you're interested in, and have completely forgotten you five minutes after you walk out the door.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

hobie16 wrote:Guidance counselor? There's a waste of space and funds. They call you in once a year, have no idea who you are or what you're interested in, and have completely forgotten you five minutes after you walk out the door.
Wow. Thanks for that. Good to know I'm a waste of space. Guess I better tell that to the dozens of kids who told me at grad last week that I'd made a huge difference in their lives and that they'd miss me when they went off to their various colleges and universities... :mad:

Sorry you had a bad experience with some counsellor in the past, but please don't paint everyone with the same brush...it's a kind of Board X thing to do, like the SGs that think all CMs are rude and unhelpful just 'cause they happened to run into one bad one.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:09 am

bookbabe wrote:Wow. Thanks for that. Good to know I'm a waste of space. Guess I better tell that to the dozens of kids who told me at grad last week that I'd made a huge difference in their lives and that they'd miss me when they went off to their various colleges and universities... :mad:

Sorry you had a bad experience with some counsellor in the past, but please don't paint everyone with the same brush...it's a kind of Board X thing to do, like the SGs that think all CMs are rude and unhelpful just 'cause they happened to run into one bad one.
This might just be a difference here in the States again. I know in my school the only time I saw the counselor was when they were making sure we were on track to graduate which was only just before signing up for classes. They were theoretically there for us if we had problems, but I never felt comfortable talking to them, one of the teachers I had all through high school, however, I feel I can tell anything and I still keep in touch.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 am

The counselors I had at my HS rotated in and out of our school so fast they barely knew our names, and could care less about any problems we were having. It was sort of ridiculous.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 am

I don't recall ever seeing a guidance counselor during school. If I did, it was maybe once or twice.

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."