Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Confrontation in the Star Tours queue

Post by bookbabe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

DragonFox98 wrote:It does amaze me that some parents (well, ALL SG parents), don't teach their children.
Okay, this isn't theme-park-related, but it's a total SG parent story...

I'm a high school teacher and guidance counsellor. Today we had a parent come up with the most SG complaint I've heard all year... :D:

Me: I'm really sorry to inform you, but your daughter failed three out of her four classes this semester, so she won't be able to graduate.

SGP: So she can't go to Commencement?

Me: No, I'm sorry, she can't. The graduation ceremony is just for graduates.

SGP: Well that's totally unfair. My daughter wants to graduate with her friends. Can't you just let her walk across the stage with everyone else? I mean, the diplomas they get on stage are fake anyway, the real ones get mailed later, so what difference does it make if she walks across the stage or not? You're just doing this to be mean, aren't you?

:banghead:

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 pm

DragonFox98 wrote:Teenagers like that I just want to drop-kick. Too bad that's illegal.
Are you sure? I mean, if you actually managed to do it, I think everyone --including the kicked -- would be so impressed that you just might get away with it.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:Are you sure? I mean, if you actually managed to do it, I think everyone --including the kicked -- would be so impressed that you just might get away with it.
I think they would only be impressed if you did it successfully and managed to get a decent amount of hang time from the kicked teenager. Otherwise, you might just get sympathy from the bystanders, though they may choose to suddenly not know anything about a teenager being kicked, as they didn't see a thing... :cat1:

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Post by delsdad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

bookbabe wrote: SGP: Well that's totally unfair. My daughter wants to graduate with her friends. Can't you just let her walk across the stage with everyone else? I mean, the diplomas they get on stage are fake anyway, the real ones get mailed later, so what difference does it make if she walks across the stage or not? You're just doing this to be mean, aren't you?

:banghead:
And then if some soft headed principal had allowed her to cross the stage, the parents would then sue to get her diploma! "Of course she graduated, here is a photo of her crossing the stage" :banghead:

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:I would've said loudly:

"HEY, SOME KID IS TRYING TO BREAK THE RIDE SO WE CAN'T GO ON IT!"
This is easily the most effective and most hilarious way to do that.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.

DragonFox98
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by DragonFox98 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:39 am

Patch...looove that idea! I think it's perfect!

BookBabe.....I had this happen when I graduated way back when. I'm sure it happens in every school during this time of year. The parent actually thinks the kids should be rewarded for failing? My goodness. And delsdad is right....they'd probably sue to get the diploma because they have a picture of her "graduating".

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 am

Unfortunately, when you take away the ability of someone to fail, you also take away their ability to succeed. Whenever you create a floor (i.e. everyone walks across stage) you also create a ceiling.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:30 am

I really hated my high school graduating class. I worked hard to maintain good grades and actually learn things while in school while there were a number of students that just didn't care. Some of these kids were borderline bragging about how many classes they were failing and I think some may have turned it into a competition to see who could fail the most. :eek: Cut to graduation night, every single one of them got a diploma that day with no distinction between those that worked hard and did well and those that were utter failures. :mad:

And people wonder why I have problems with the public education system in America.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Lasolimu wrote:Cut to graduation night, every single one of them got a diploma that day with no distinction between those that worked hard and did well and those that were utter failures. :mad:
My problem with public education is that passing has nothing to do with hard work. I got grades and scores good enough to get me in the Honor Society and Mensa, not because I worked hard, but because I liked reading, writing, research, and playing with logic problems. I did generally finish my homework (because my parents would have killed me if I didn't), but I did a lot of it in the ten minutes before class or whatever. My sister, who is a musical genius and is quite successful now working with computers, worked like a dog to get grades lower than mine. Which drove her nuts at the time, but now she figures that school basically taught me how to coast and her how to work. :p:

And some people just aren't made for the kind of work schools were designed for -- entrepreneurs traditionally do poorly at school, because school is geared for fitting people to big corporations, not to teaching people how to take wise risks or to innovate. I've never known a really successful person who wasn't a hard worker, but I've known some people who were total slackers at school who knew how to work hard at other things.

Sadly, kids who could be really good at something non-schoolish often get discouraged by their failure at school and never learn that working hard at something they can succeed with is worth doing. :(

I also think school poorly serves some of those who're socially oriented and natural leaders, who quickly realize they may be able to pass the classes, but they aren't skilled enough to excel. The only way they can follow their natural talents at school is to convince people that what the school is measuring is meaningless -- which, for a lot of kids, it is! So their natural skills are trained and honed in a completely unnatural environment, and once they're out of the system, they have no other skills. They are brilliant at manipulating a particular environment, but practically the only "employment" for an adult that works that way is being a client of the welfare system -- or in prison. :eek:

The more financially successful guys of that last type can also make excellent Stupid Guests. ;) Disney, like most school systems, rewards the squeaky wheel and is less interested in justice than in keeping things cool on the surface, and in both cases you can game the system like crazy.

knitster
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by knitster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 am

shilohmm wrote:My problem with public education is that passing has nothing to do with hard work. I got grades and scores good enough to get me in the Honor Society and Mensa, not because I worked hard, but because I liked reading, writing, research, and playing with logic problems. I did generally finish my homework (because my parents would have killed me if I didn't), but I did a lot of it in the ten minutes before class or whatever. My sister, who is a musical genius and is quite successful now working with computers, worked like a dog to get grades lower than mine. Which drove her nuts at the time, but now she figures that school basically taught me how to coast and her how to work. :p:

And some people just aren't made for the kind of work schools were designed for -- entrepreneurs traditionally do poorly at school, because school is geared for fitting people to big corporations, not to teaching people how to take wise risks or to innovate. I've never known a really successful person who wasn't a hard worker, but I've known some people who were total slackers at school who knew how to work hard at other things.

Sadly, kids who could be really good at something non-schoolish often get discouraged by their failure at school and never learn that working hard at something they can succeed with is worth doing. :(

I also think school poorly serves some of those who're socially oriented and natural leaders, who quickly realize they may be able to pass the classes, but they aren't skilled enough to excel. The only way they can follow their natural talents at school is to convince people that what the school is measuring is meaningless -- which, for a lot of kids, it is! So their natural skills are trained and honed in a completely unnatural environment, and once they're out of the system, they have no other skills. They are brilliant at manipulating a particular environment, but practically the only "employment" for an adult that works that way is being a client of the welfare system -- or in prison. :eek:

The more financially successful guys of that last type can also make excellent Stupid Guests. ;) Disney, like most school systems, rewards the squeaky wheel and is less interested in justice than in keeping things cool on the surface, and in both cases you can game the system like crazy.
And those are many of the reasons that I've chosen to homeschool.

[font="Century Gothic"]amanda wife to kevin mom to caedmon 10, presley 5, and hendrix 1[/font]