Can a CM clarify? - transportation

Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Walt Disney World discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Can a CM clarify? - transportation

Post by delsdad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:41 am

TeamUBR wrote: I was not-so-politely told that my understanding was a "common misperception". Despite posting a link to the WDW page with the quote, I was blasted for being "out of the know". (my words. Theirs weren't as nice)

j
You must have missed their mission statement, saying that "In all cases, the policies and practices of Board X and its chosen members shall supersede those policies, procedures and rules which have been eroniously put in place by The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries. Should any discrepancy arise, all cast members at The Walt Disney World Resort are to immediatley and without prejudice defer to those practices as published by the "very special and entitled" members of Board X"

SnDMommy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SnDMommy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 pm

So Kurt says no, Zazu says yes. No wonder there is so much confusion over it - there is no official Disney stance, I suppose.

In looking all over the site, I saw the same thing that TeamUBR saw, that guests of WDW Resort HOTELS blah blah blah. We're all in agreement that there is a difference between a WDW Resort Guest and a WDW Resort Hotel Guest. Unless I missed it, there is no indication of transportation being mentioned with your park ticket. So the presumption would be that the buses are only to be used by hotel guests. But since it's not checked at boarding, and Disney is passe about it, anyone can use them. Thus, it opens the door for those to park at places like DTD and ride the bus to avoid parking fees. We all know morally it's wrong, but I guess Disney doesn't put their foot down about it one way or the other. ??

TeamUBR
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TeamUBR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:TeamUBR, you don't have to hold back here. Just don't name which Board X it was.
BW- No worries. I've been hanging around here long enough to have that figured out.
chartle wrote: It doesn't say exclusively available to hotel resort guests.

OK I found the thread on board x and unless some posts where deleted, I didn't see anyone flame you not even close. They just basically posted what I did.
Chartle, I (apparently mistakenly) interpreted it as "just resort HOTEL guests" instead of the correct, "resort hotel guests and all resort non-hotel guests, or anyone holding or not holding a ticket to any WDW resort park, or Universal Studios, or if you just want to ride a bus because you're bored." I'm not snapping back at you specifically. It's just the creative interpretation of what is written to justify what they want.

As for the flames, there were 1 or 2 posts deleted after I sent the PM's I received to the admins. After I posted the link to the WDW web site to justify/explain my earlier post, I got some harsh PM's. To summarize, I'm an idiot and obviously can't read a web site and should stop posting anything. I thanked them for their input and blocked posts from them. I don't have enough time to get wrapped up in their drama.
delsdad wrote:You must have missed their mission statement, saying that "In all cases, the policies and practices of Board X and its chosen members shall supersede those policies..."very special and entitled" members of Board X"
Ah! I apparently missed that when I signed up. Now I understand. Silly me.

Obviously despite what is in print or not, the accepted practice is anyone can ride anywhere.

chartle
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by chartle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

TeamUBR wrote:As for the flames, there were 1 or 2 posts deleted after I sent the PM's I received to the admins. After I posted the link to the WDW web site to justify/explain my earlier post, I got some harsh PM's. To summarize, I'm an idiot and obviously can't read a web site and should stop posting anything. I thanked them for their input and blocked posts from them. I don't have enough time to get wrapped up in their drama.
OK that explains your post. And yes the web site could be looked at both ways.

Through not in your case, I have seen people misinterpret simple replies as flaming hence the confusion.

And yes there are some people there who think staying on site is a lofty perch (hence the defense of the transportation) and those that don't are somehow defective and should stay away. I stay off site because I'm getting a two room suite 3 queen beds with full american breakfast for $99 per night. Oh and I don't really use Disney Transportation.

TeamUBR
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TeamUBR » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:14 pm

chartle wrote: I stay off site because I'm getting a two room suite 3 queen beds with full american breakfast for $99 per night. Oh and I don't really use Disney Transportation.
That sounds like a sweet deal. I always stayed off site until about 7 years ago. My parents had condos in St Pete. Years ago (80's and 90s) we would stay there and drive over for a day. 11 years ago we adopted our son. Our first trip after that, we stayed off site at a campground across the highway. I had a consulting company and was working a conference at Gaylord Palms and the CG was close.
After that trip, I wanted to camp at Ft Wilderness and we loved it. I'm heading back in May. We considered staying at a moderate resort because of the discounts, but it's still cheaper to camp at the fort and I have my own bed and can eat what I want at the camper.

As for snooty people staying on site. Us campers have dealt with that forever. Despite having over $100,000 wrapped up in my 5th wheel and truck, we are way below those staying at a true resort. Oh well, their loss.

j

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 pm

TeamUBR wrote:As for snooty people staying on site. Us campers have dealt with that forever. Despite having over $100,000 wrapped up in my 5th wheel and truck, we are way below those staying at a true resort.
I've always been kind of jealous of the folks staying at Fort W...especially around the holidays. I love the awesome decorations that go up at some of the sites. Even during the non-holiday times, the place has a kind of "community" feeling about it that you just can't find at the other resorts.

I'd love to stay there, but we don't have a camper (and tents and I don't get along well). :D:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 pm

bookbabe wrote:I've always been kind of jealous of the folks staying at Fort W...especially around the holidays. I love the awesome decorations that go up at some of the sites. Even during the non-holiday times, the place has a kind of "community" feeling about it that you just can't find at the other resorts.

I'd love to stay there, but we don't have a camper (and tents and I don't get along well). :D:
You know, there are also nice cabins for rent at Ft. Wilderness. Sleep five, plus a full kitchen. Not exactly roughing it, but still....

Zazu

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 am

Zazu wrote:You know, there are also nice cabins for rent at Ft. Wilderness. Sleep five, plus a full kitchen. Not exactly roughing it, but still....
And/or Tent rental!

Kurt

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm gonna throw my two cents in on this. Disney has buses that run from TTA to all the parks (ferries and monorails to a couple, buses to the rest), and buses that run from all the hotels (not sure of those on the monorail line) to all the parks. Most people staying on site are going to use the resort buses, the buses from TTA are going to be used by people who park in the MK lot or come by shuttle/bus from off site, so I believe Disney expects anyone who is visiting is going to use Disney transportation unless they park thier own car in the lot for the park they are visiting, and then they may park hop and use the buses anyway. I believe the statement on the Disney website is not a rule, but there to protect them from people bitching or sueing because they couldnt get on a Disney bus.

("Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort—including transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parks—is available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.")

First, it limits them to providing transportation only to/from Disney hotels to/from Disney theme parks/water parks and second only from "select" hotels. To me this means free transportation provided by Disney can be limited and someone cannot come along and ask Disney to pay cab fare (or pay for thier Universal vacation because their Disney vacation was "ruined" because they couldnt get on a free bus) if there is no transportation available, even if they are staying on site. Its more of a disclaimer than anything.

I stayed off site once several years ago, place I stayed at had a shuttle service (this was an E ticket ride in itself) it dropped me at TTA and I used WDW transportation the rest of the time, no problems, they even dropped us right where the buses picked you up. Now when I used the ferries CM's were telling everyone to show thier park tickets before boarding, but not so for monorail. ( I also park hopped) All the other times I stayed on property and used the buses from my resort to the parks, DTD ect. I never got the impression Disney wouldnt let you use the buses no matter where you were staying.
Steve

SnDMommy
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by SnDMommy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Holy shit! There are buses that run directly into and out of Tomorrowland?!?!

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself :o: