Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Post by hobie16 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 am

bookbabe wrote:
leftcoaster wrote:Sorry if this has been repeated but if kids can't bring peanuts to school because of a peanut allergy in a classroom, then the other kids need to be vaccinated before they are allowed into the school.

At some level, health needs to supercede parents anti-vaxing their kids for "religious reasons."

I do think that with the rise in these preventable diseases and even pediatricians taking a stance against anti-vaxers, you are now seeing a huge push back in the right direction.
THIS!!! When in elementary schools bringing a peanut butter sandwich for lunch is seen as almost as bad as bringing a weapon, and the poor kid is treated like a criminal endangering the life of that one kid with a peanut allergy, why is it okay for an unvaccinated kid to come to school and endanger the lives of everyone in the building? It boggles my mind how stupid the anti-vaxer parents are.
It's worse than that. Endanger everyone in the building who leave and endanger everyone they come into contact with, who endanger everyone they...

One bonehead walking through Disneyland has now spread her disease to multiple states and Mexico. Ebola turns out to be much easier to contain.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm

bookbabe wrote:
leftcoaster wrote:Sorry if this has been repeated but if kids can't bring peanuts to school because of a peanut allergy in a classroom, then the other kids need to be vaccinated before they are allowed into the school.

At some level, health needs to supercede parents anti-vaxing their kids for "religious reasons."

I do think that with the rise in these preventable diseases and even pediatricians taking a stance against anti-vaxers, you are now seeing a huge push back in the right direction.
THIS!!! When in elementary schools bringing a peanut butter sandwich for lunch is seen as almost as bad as bringing a weapon, and the poor kid is treated like a criminal endangering the life of that one kid with a peanut allergy, why is it okay for an unvaccinated kid to come to school and endanger the lives of everyone in the building? It boggles my mind how stupid the anti-vaxer parents are.
You have to lay some of that blame on the schools for not having the guts to say no to unvaccinated kids and the government for being so incredibly stupid as to allow it to happen. Aren't they supposed to be protecting all of us not just a few with cobwebs for brains?

But the question that I have to ask when all is said and done is this. Aren't the kids that HAVE been vaccinated not subject to concern and therefore only those in the I don't want a shot group will be killing each other off? I would guess that they are not the problem. Only the ones that for some health reason cannot get vaccinated would become susceptible to them. I guess that is enough though. Never mind.... I just asked and answered my own question. :Lecture:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 pm

hobie16 wrote: One bonehead walking through Disneyland has now spread her disease to multiple states and Mexico. Ebola turns out to be much easier to contain.
Not to lose the point, but Ebola freaked everyone out so badly, Preventative Measures were made mandatory from the Airlines down to our Urgent Care where we ask each and every patient who comes in if they have been 1) to West Africa in the last 21 days 2) Taken care of anyone who is ill who might have been exposed and 3) If they have fever,weakness ,vomiting,diarrhea or easy bruising and bleeding....anyone who answers yes to the questions 1 and or 2 and or 3
gets an immediate response that would make a SWAT team impressed :rocker:

If I recall correctly, Patient X exposed others before she came down with symptoms, and probably was never made to get vaccinated by parents, and I am sure she had no idea the trouble it would cause.

I predict a new Possible Measles Response Procedure very near in our Future.... :oweye:

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:34 am

A friend and I were talking about this.

I pointed out that this seems to be following a similar history of the 2007/2008 Stock Market Crash. After the big crash in 1929, Congress passed several laws to prevent a similar or worse situation from happening again. Those laws stayed in place through the 50's, 60's, 70's, even the 80's, because those congress critters remembered the Great Depression and how it affected the country and the people.

During the prosperity of the 90s, Congress and Wall Street got greedy and started dismantling and repealing the laws that were passed in the late 1920s and early 1930s to prevent another Great Depression. Those that were doing this did not remember the Great Depression. They weren't even thought of in the 1930s.

Change the picture to measles. Back in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and even the early 1960s, many kids died from Measles. In fact in 1912, the death rate in general was ~ 10/100,000 (94 million people in the US in 1912). In 1963, the death rate was 0.000237%. That might not seem like much, but the population in the US in 1963 was 189,241,798. So, doing the math: 45,000 (that's THOUSAND) people (not just kids) died of measles. That is a death rate of 0.000237%

After the measles vaccine was was widely distributed, the US death rate from measles was 0.0000000000000000000000000000 %

The anti-vax movement came about from a 1998 article in the Lancet British medical journal by Andrew Wakefield that claimed a link between autism and the combined measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine. The "study" was based on 12 cases. Eventually the article was debunked and Dr. Wakefield lost his medical license.

These anti-vaxxers did not live during the 30s, 40s, 50s, and early 60s, when many people died of measles.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

Neil deGrasse Tyson checks in:

"Not enough of our society is trained how to understand and interpret quantitative information. This activity is a centerpiece of science literacy to which we should all strive -- the future health, wealth, and security of our democracy depend on it. Until that is achieved, we are at risk of making under-informed decisions that affect ourselves, our communities, our country, and even the world."

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:21 am

What do aborted fetuses, mouse brains and the anti-vaxx movement have in common? A fraud.

--- Matt King

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:39 am

Great quote from an editorial in my local newspaper today...

"In fact, attitudes to measles vaccinations seem like a good proxy for IQ testing."

:thumbsup:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:39 pm

bookbabe wrote:Great quote from an editorial in my local newspaper today...

"In fact, attitudes to measles vaccinations seem like a good proxy for IQ testing."

:thumbsup:

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:25 am

Quick Vaccine Math

So just relying on the fact that you’ve been immunized isn’t really enough. To prevent outbreaks of the disease, we rely on an emergent property of a vaccinated population. If enough people are immune to the disease, then even if one person somehow gets infected with it, they won’t be able to cause it to spread.

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:39 pm

As recently as the first quarter of the 20th century, 1 in 5 kids didn't live to see their 5th birthday. Don't believe me, go to a century+ old graveyard and count the kids' versus adults' graves. They mainly died of diseases prevented by vaccines, not available in their time.