Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:56 am

Would you rather sit next to a smoker or someone with an active case of measles?

Moreover, we've had this argument before. We, as a society over the past 30 years have, over and over again, made the decision that public health trumps individual choices when there are public consequences. It's the reason smokers are huddled around each other outside trying to keep warm during a lunch break. All sorts of laws have been passed to curb smoking (e.g., California is considering raising the age for smoking to 21) and restrict its use in public places. People can't smoke in office buildings. People can't smoke in restaurants. People can't smoke in bars. Hell, people can't even smoke outside in some places because of the potential damage that second-hand smoke could have on the public. And yet, here we are placating people who could possibly spread contagious infections in public places, and everyone involved knows about that possibility and we're all just waiting around for the bottom to fall out.

It makes absolutely no sense.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 am

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:38 am

--- Matt King

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 am

Y'all I see the devastation of polio almost every day. The owner of my company, a wonderful smart funny vibrant man, can't walk more than a few steps and has to use a scooter to get everywhere. It's really hard on him and his family. And it's something that you can prevent. He was not vaccinated because he and his family came from a country that didn't have that wonderful benefit. If parents could see what he goes through every day, they would change their minds. But people don't see the consequences. Maybe now they will. But I grieve for the kids that will have to go through life disabled because their parents were stupid.

leftcoaster
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 am

Sorry if this has been repeated but if kids can't bring peanuts to school because of a peanut allergy in a classroom, then the other kids need to be vaccinated before they are allowed into the school.

At some level, health needs to supercede parents anti-vaxing their kids for "religious reasons."

I do think that with the rise in these preventable diseases and even pediatricians taking a stance against anti-vaxers, you are now seeing a huge push back in the right direction.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:10 am

A kid that lived down the street years ago had a withered arm due to polio. He was my paperboy and, as he grew up, a good friend. he never talked about his disability but I found out from his close friends that he took a lot of abuse during his school years.

Because his left arm didn't have much strength he overcompensated by using his right arm for anything that needed power. It became so strong that he could break a pair of pliers in his grip.

He got interested in laser systems and eventually built a laser show. He discovered commercial advertising opportunities and eventually was making $20,000 for a half hour show. He also sold some effects he developed to Lucas Films. I'm pretty sure one was used in a Star Wars movie.

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:25 am

There have been a few doctors and politicians that have sided with the anti-vaxxers. Apparently one has decided to take it to the next step.

FRESHMAN GOP SENATOR: I’M OKAY WITH NOT FORCING RESTAURANT WORKERS TO WASH UP

He might have won the most expensive legislative campaign in US history, but that doesn’t mean he should manage your local Arby’s. Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) said Monday that he’s okay with the idea of service industry workers returning to work without washing their hands after touching their unmentionables, as long as customers are made aware of the situation. Tillis made the declaration at to the Bipartisan Policy Center, at the end of a question and answer with the audience. He was relaying a 2010 anecdote about his “bias when it comes to regulatory reform.”

“I was having a discussion with someone, and we were at a Starbucks in my district, and we were talking about certain regulations where I felt like ‘maybe you should allow businesses to opt out,’” he said, “as long as they indicate through proper disclosure, through advertising, through employment literature, or whatever else.” Tillis was, at the time, the minority whip of the North Carolina House of Representatives.

“She said, ‘I can’t believe that,’” he continued in retelling the story. “And at that time we were sitting back at a table that was near the restrooms and one of the employees just came out. She said: ‘For example, don’t you believe that this regulation that requires this gentleman to wash his hands before he serves your food is important and should be on the books?’”

“I said: ‘As a matter of fact, I think it’s one that I can [use to] illustrate the point,’” he remarked. “I said: ‘I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says “We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom,”’” he recalled, as the audience chuckled. “The market will take care of that.’”

“That’s the sort of mentality that we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country,” he added. “We’re one of the most regulated nations in the history of the planet.”

Bipartisan Policy Center President Jason Grumet joked that he was “not sure” he would shake Sen. Tillis’ hand when the discussion was over, causing the lawmaker and members of the audience to laugh. Tillis did not explicitly mention if he is in favor of restaurants being forced to offer sick leave unless they disclose opting out of it. North Carolina’s state legislature did not pass any such measure while he led the body. He does, however, oppose a federal minimum wage and was against raising the minimum wage for North Carolina. The policies likely led to restaurant workers in the Tar Heel State turning up for shifts while sick.

A March 2012 Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention study of over 400 restaurants throughout the US found that “12 percent of food workers said they had worked when they were sick with vomiting or diarrhea.” The ill workers turned up to work, the CDC found, because of “pressure to do so,” and, possibly, due to a “need for income.”

In a separate September 2014 CDC survey, 60 percent of restaurant managers said they could recall at least one worker showing up to work while sick, and 70 percent of restaurant managers said they themselves had worked while sick. Almost half of the managers surveyed–45 percent–said that workers showed up for their shift when sick because of “no paid sick leave or no sick leave policy.”

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

--- Matt King

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:19 am

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/learn-signs.

Link above is re: the signs of Autism in a child. I think that all of us here can agree that more than 1 in 68 individuals are "slow learners" and not all of them have Autism :wink:

I hope nobody here is thinking I am saying Vaccines cause Autism. I am just not discounting that they could have a role for some who did develop it....there was actually a successful lawsuit stating the same http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kir ... 3.html...I think Autism is like Cancer, many possible causes.

The purpose of my rant was to express how important it is to all of us to find the causes, not to rally against vaccination. :oweye:

Having said that, take a look at the Vaccine Information Sheets next time you go to your MD or at the CDC Website....nothing is risk-free.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Check out this site; look for the links for vaccines, or anything else you're interested in: www.quackwatch.com . The link for autism is particularly insightful.

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:12 am

leftcoaster wrote:Sorry if this has been repeated but if kids can't bring peanuts to school because of a peanut allergy in a classroom, then the other kids need to be vaccinated before they are allowed into the school.

At some level, health needs to supercede parents anti-vaxing their kids for "religious reasons."

I do think that with the rise in these preventable diseases and even pediatricians taking a stance against anti-vaxers, you are now seeing a huge push back in the right direction.
THIS!!! When in elementary schools bringing a peanut butter sandwich for lunch is seen as almost as bad as bringing a weapon, and the poor kid is treated like a criminal endangering the life of that one kid with a peanut allergy, why is it okay for an unvaccinated kid to come to school and endanger the lives of everyone in the building? It boggles my mind how stupid the anti-vaxer parents are.