Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Re: Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:29 am

I don't blame people for being nervous about vaccination, as we who give them know there are possible adverse effects to ANYTHING we inject into our bodies, and the stories people tell about their typically-developing baby becoming ill overnight and regressing after getting a vaccine I will not discredit. My son who has Autism didn't get it from a vaccine in my experience. Having said that, life is a crap shoot. Even Disney can not guarantee there won't be some little B screaming at you to move faster through a crowd, or that the kid who just drooled all over Mickey didn't have something contagious. I do wonder why people would expose their newborns to such crowds,though, ugh.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:38 pm

DisneyMom wrote:I don't blame people for being nervous about vaccination, as we who give them know there are possible adverse effects to ANYTHING we inject into our bodies, and the stories people tell about their typically-developing baby becoming ill overnight and regressing after getting a vaccine I will not discredit. My son who has Autism didn't get it from a vaccine in my experience. Having said that, life is a crap shoot. Even Disney can not guarantee there won't be some little B screaming at you to move faster through a crowd, or that the kid who just drooled all over Mickey didn't have something contagious. I do wonder why people would expose their newborns to such crowds,though, ugh.
It's because of the freaking Disney magic. Why that infant gets a good dose of bright lights, colors and background music and it makes them smile. Sigh! :diaper: Sadly, that would have done the same thing if you had shown a flashlight in their eyes. Like a cat with a laser light.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 pm

felinefan wrote:I had chickenpox when I was 7, and yes I've had shingles on my face as a result. Luckily, I occaisonally get a tiny itch on my eyelid where it started, so no real aftereffects from it.
You should look into the shingles vaccination available now. I wasn't going to do it but my doc told me I was a dumbass for not doing it. Didn't hurt a bit.
DisneyMom wrote:I don't blame people for being nervous about vaccination, as we who give them know there are possible adverse effects to ANYTHING we inject into our bodies, and the stories people tell about their typically-developing baby becoming ill overnight and regressing after getting a vaccine I will not discredit. My son who has Autism didn't get it from a vaccine in my experience. Having said that, life is a crap shoot. Even Disney can not guarantee there won't be some little B screaming at you to move faster through a crowd, or that the kid who just drooled all over Mickey didn't have something contagious. I do wonder why people would expose their newborns to such crowds,though, ugh.
Life is a crapshoot so you have to play the percentages. When in doubt go with the real science.

We're bombarded with so much thuthiness these days it's sometimes hard to tell what true or whose lying to advance their own agendas. My litmus test is if they say it's not about the money it is most certainly about the money.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:40 am

What started as a measles outbreak among seven people who visited Disneyland in December has spread to more than 26, as an unvaccinated California woman apparently transmitted the virus through airports and the theme park, health officials said.

State health departments in California, Colorado, Utah and Washington and have confirmed cases of the extremely contagious virus, the Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday. Taken together, the cases would account for almost 12% of the expected measles cases for the entire year (there are 220 cases per year on average, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

The California department of public health said on 7 January that officials believe the woman who started the outbreak was staying in the Disneyland theme park in December. According to the LA Times, the woman is believed to be an unvaccinated traveler in her 20s.

The woman became sick and contagious on 28 December while at the theme park. From there, the LA Times reports, she flew from Orange County to Snohomish County in Washington state. She then returned to Orange County on 3 January, and California health officials announced the outbreak on 7 January.

The virus is highly contagious, can live for up to two hours on surfaces and is transmitted through an infected person’s coughs or sneezes. Measles is so contagious that “90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected”, according to the CDC.

Though the vaccines are said to be 99% effective, a recent anti-vaccination movement in the US has falsely linked autism to the vaccines. Scientists have thoroughly decried the claims as false and misleading. Nevertheless, many have linked the movement to the record number of measles cases in 2014. Last year, 644 cases were confirmed, accounting for a nearly two-decade high.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:27 am

Good Article, but states possible index case became ill and contagious on the 28th.....Media indicates visitors were exposed between 15th and 20th? Maybe more than one index case or multiple dates of exposure? Just trying to figure out for any patients who show up to our clinic.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am

LA Tines Editorial

TThe most recent outbreak of measles, set off by an unvaccinated visitor to Disneyland, may be contained before it spreads too far. With luck, there will be no deaths or serious, long-lasting complications. But it has already sickened more than 30 people in four states — all traceable back to this single Patient Zero. That should worry and enrage the public because it is a reminder of the far worse scenario that could occur if the anti-vaccine movement doesn't get over its ignorant and self-absorbed rejection of science.

... measles is a disease that has been beaten by modern medicine. That makes it all the more frustrating that anti-science stubbornness has proven, in the case of the Disneyland-related measles, that when it comes to contagious diseases, it's a small world after all.

full article

--- Matt King

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:17 am

hobie16 wrote:... measles is a disease that has been beaten by modern medicine. That makes it all the more frustrating that anti-science stubbornness has proven, in the case of the Disneyland-related measles, that when it comes to contagious diseases, it's a small world after all.
Oh great! As if that song didn't already make me sick....

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:58 am

Read that patient X was spreading the disease BEFORE becoming obviously ill,traveled in an airplane twice,(re-circulated air) then became "ill" around the 28th....at least 34 cases now, with further exposures to the general population. :oweye:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:21 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Read that patient X was spreading the disease BEFORE becoming obviously ill,traveled in an airplane twice,(re-circulated air) then became "ill" around the 28th....at least 34 cases now, with further exposures to the general population. :oweye:
And the crazies thought Ebola would be the end of life as we know it. Get your shots people!!

--- Matt King

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:23 pm

In my day, there were no shots for measles, mumps and chicken pox, or rubella. You had to get those diseases-- I was very young, possibly younger than 5, when I had measles and mumps; I remember having chicken pox at 7. I've never had rubella, and since I'm past the age of reproduction, I wonder if I should still get it.

I remember when I was growing up, we had a comic book that showed the importance of being immunized against rubella. A little boy who was an asymptomatic carrier visited his newly pregnant aunt, who unknowingly contracted it from him. Her baby was born blind and with a possible heart defect. I also recall that if a child had measles, the room would be darkened and mitts would be put on the child's hands. This was because measles causes the eyes to be supersensitive to light, and the mitts prevented scratching the rash.

My youngest sister had chicken pox and scarlet fever at the same time; it caused quite a sensation at the doctor's office when Mom brought her in to see what was wrong with her.