Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Those Anti-Vaxxers make me Sick! (actually DL related)

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:18 pm

My roommate in college's sister was deaf because her mom had measles when she was pregnant. It's bad stuff people. Get those shots.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 am

I had full-blown measles when I was in first grade. I do not recommend it for anyone.

On the other hand, look how I turned out! ... Okay, yeah, another reason to get vaccinated. :biggrin:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Apparently some CMs are among those affected, and 2 cases were supposedly fully immunized? Virulent stuff.

Yes,many of us old people caught all those diseases early on,although an unfortunate friend of mine caught
Chickenpox at age 20. Horrifying. :old:

Now I have to go look up when they started using all of the various vaccines....

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 am

From ABC News

At least five Disney theme park employees in California have been diagnosed with the measles, officials said Tuesday. The workers are the latest of several dozen cases reported in Orange County in the last few weeks. The number of infected continues to grow and spread. There are now measles cases in at least four states and Mexico in the outbreak linked to December visits to the theme parks.

Many leaving Disneyland Tuesday night knew of the recent measles outbreak traced to the park, but didn't know five employees are now among the infected. Nevertheless, most people said it wouldn't have stopped them from visiting. "I'm not too worried only because of the immunization, but I would have liked to have known about them," said Scott Hughs of Walnut Creek.

Disney officials say three of the five cast members infected have been cleared to return to work. The company says it took immediate action with employees after learning of the exposure. Dr. Pamela Hymel, the chief medical officer for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, released the following statement: "As soon as the OC Health Care Agency notified us on January 7, we immediately began to communicate to our Cast to raise awareness. In an abundance of caution, also offered vaccinations and immunity tests... Cast members who may have come in contact with those who were positive are being tested for the virus. While awaiting results, they have been put on paid leave until medically cleared."

A few miles away at Huntington Beach High School, 24 unvaccinated students were sent home Tuesday and asked to remain home until Jan. 29 after a classmate was confirmed to have the disease. Parents were asked to monitor their kids for symptoms, which include fever and a blotchy body rash. In Orange County alone, there are 16 confirmed cases of measles, a health official said. L.A. County health officials have confirmed six cases of the measles, and that does not include the cases in Long Beach and Pasadena.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:39 pm

One of my mom's sisters had infantile paralysis in one leg, and had mumps four times; the last time she had mumps was at 19. That couldn't have been easy on her. She was a sweet, loving woman who didn't let anything get her down, even when she had cancer. I remember mom saying that when she was a kid, the authorities made parents keep their kids in the backyard to play, because that's when polio was most likely to spread.

I remember when I was in 5th or 6th grade, they tested us for TB. Mine was negative, as were most of my classmates. But I heard that six kids came up positive, and had to go to the doctor/hospital.

I wonder if I'm still immune to measles, etc.?

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 am

The medical device company that my daughter is working part time at required that she provide them with her immunization record (which was easy to get from the college she attends that also requires it when you enroll). Does Disney require this? It would seem logical due to the amount of contact that they have with the public.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 am

GaTechGal wrote:The medical device company that my daughter is working part time at required that she provide them with her immunization record.... Does Disney require this? It would seem logical due to the amount of contact that they have with the public.
There's logic, and then there's Disney Logic. They didn't ask at hiring in 1999, and haven't since. Perhaps now they'll start.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:29 pm

From LA Times

Could the Disneyland measles outbreak quiet vaccine doubters?

Take a bunch of people, pack them into a space and watch some get frighteningly ill. For much of human civilization, that was how we lived, and with measles outbreaks at Disneyland and elsewhere, we're getting a taste of what our infection-plagued existence was like before routine vaccination.

The reaction so far by readers? We told you so.

Their letters and the dire warnings from scientists and doctors couldn't do what a real-life mass sickening like the outbreak at Disneyland has a better chance of doing: shake the skepticism and fear out of enough parents and boost vaccination rates to more acceptable herd-immunity levels. Our parents, grandparents and other before them witnessed generations of polio-stricken children before jumping at the chance inoculate themselves against this terrible disease when the Salk vaccine became available in the 1950s. They and others were routinely sickened by measles and other communicable diseases before vaccines for those illnesses came online.

Full article

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Zazu wrote:Perhaps now they'll start.
From LA Times

Disney measles outbreak: Resort asks staff for proof they're protected

Disneyland Resort employees who had contact with measles-stricken coworkers have been asked to stay home unless they can show they’ve been vaccinated or take a blood test to show they’re immune, Disney officials told the Los Angeles Times. On Tuesday, company officials confirmed to The Times that five Disneyland Resort employees had been diagnosed with measles. Two had been vaccinated, health officials said, and the vaccination status of the other workers is still being investigated.

All resort workers who could have been in contact with those five have been asked to provide vaccination records or submit to a blood test that shows they have built immunity to the disease. Any employees who had not been vaccinated or could not confirm their immunity status were asked to go on paid leave until their status could be confirmed, Disney officials said.

"As soon as the O.C. Health Care Agency notified us on Jan. 7, we immediately began to communicate to our cast to raise awareness," Dr. Pamela Hymel, chief medical officer for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, said in a statement. "In an abundance of caution, we also offered vaccinations and immunity tests." The news came on the heels of Huntington Beach Union High School District’s announcement that about two dozen students who had no proof of measles immunization were ordered to stay away from campus. The move is part of what officials described as the worst outbreak in California in 15 years. There are now a total of 54 patients across California as well as three other states and Mexico.

Full article

--- Matt King

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:24 pm

It appears that money does not eliminate stupidity.

Orange County is home to several upscale communities where a higher than average number of parents have opted to not fully vaccinate their children because of their personal beliefs. Experts say it's a problem when 8% or more decline vaccines that keep diseases such as measles from spreading.

In the Huntington Beach City School District, two out of seven elementary schools' kindergarten classes exceed that number: S.A. Moffett Elementary, where 10% were exempted from vaccines for personal beliefs, and Huntington Seacliff Elementary, pegged at 11%.

A Times analysis published last year found that 9.5% of kindergartners at Capistrano Unified in south Orange County in 2013 were exempted from vaccinations because of personal beliefs; the rate was 14.8% at Santa Monica-Malibu Unified. The rate statewide that year was 3.1%.

--- Matt King