Taking a Ride On the Guilt Trip Express

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Taking a Ride On the Guilt Trip Express

Post by YANXWIN » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 am

Sitting in the hotel waiting for Cinderella to get ready for our second day in the parks. We are already telling stories about what we saw and heard yesterday. The ones that stuck out to me the most were all of the guilt trips I heard. I usually here maybe one a trip, but yesterday was a guilt trip convention. I must have heard moms and dads from about 6 different families tell there kids just how grateful they should be. "We spent a lot of money for this birthday, and it better be the best one you ever have!" That one merited a head turn from me. Mm and dad were staring the kid down like he stole a car or something. Nothing like making your kid feel like he/she never wants to go on vacation again.

Memories that kid will cherish all the way through therapy someday.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Taking a Ride On the Guilt Trip Express

Post by WEDFan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

Oh, how familiar that sounds!. You're right, that one comes up with great regularity on our trips, too. The overheard guilt trips are always a head shaker for me. This is really how you want to spend your vacation???? Guilting the kids into adherence to your plan, or better yet, as in your example, guilting them into having fun. Like that is going to work.

:shaker:

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 pm

I've known some Disney-haters in my day, and I blame about half of them on parents who sent their kids on the guilt trip express, and the other half on commando parents who run the kids ragged in the heat and sun. I recognize the theoretical possibility of someone hating Disney based on their deep dislike of big corporations or some other lofty theme, but IRL I haven't run across anyone who doesn't mention some horrible trip in their childhood pretty early in the conversation.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:41 am

shilohmm wrote:I haven't run across anyone who doesn't mention some horrible trip in their childhood pretty early in the conversation.
Might just be a Freudian slip. You know, when you say one thing and mean your mother.

I wonder what Freud's parental issues were. I mean, that guy was messed up!

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:I wonder what Freud's parental issues were. I mean, that guy was messed up!
Most people in the mental health field will admit the reason they're in that career field is because they're so screwed up.

A friend lived next door to a world famous shrink. He deal was diet modification for mental issues and really promoted drinking orange juice. His wife was having a lot of issues caused primarily by their son who had run off the rails. The doc saw very little of this as he was tied up with being a world famous shrink.

The wife finally went to him and poured out her soul. His response? "Pull yourself together Agnes!"

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Ever notice how nearly all optometrists wear glasses? :biggrin:

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:54 pm

felinefan wrote:Ever notice how nearly all optometrists wear glasses? :biggrin:
Ophthalmologists don't because they've all gotten LASIK. :geek:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.