Disneyland Vacation

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: Canadas Top
Department: Concert Hall!
Position: Making Lights Move!

Re: Disneyland Vacation

Post by delsdad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:33 pm

hobie16 wrote:The price is even worse now. Someone discovered that the original timeshare price was way under what would cover the real maintenance costs. They had to stop sales until they could get approval from the state to bounce the prices skyward.

A couple of VPs got fired over the goof.
The fees really went up this year. at BLT we are up by 6.5%, which makes over 15% increase over 2 years. sigh...

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:31 pm

delsdad wrote:The fees really went up this year. at BLT we are up by 6.5%, which makes over 15% increase over 2 years. sigh...
Do you pay property tax too? Maui County determined that they were loosing a huge hunk of tax revenue because of hotel conversions to timeshare and timeshares being built instead of hotels. What did they do? They created a new property tax category for timeshare units.

It must be pretty gawd awful as I see letters to the editor from timeshare owners raging about another raise in their tax and swearing that they'll never return to the island.

Return or not the County still gets their pound of flesh.

UPDATE: The homeowner rate is $2.75 per $1000. The timeshare rate is $15.50 per $1000. Ouch! Hotels and resorts only pay $9.15.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Cheshire Figment
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Cheshire Figment » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:31 pm

hobie16 wrote:Do you pay property tax too? Maui County determined that they were loosing a huge hunk of tax revenue because of hotel conversions to timeshare and timeshares being built instead of hotels. What did they do? They created a new property tax category for timeshare units.

It must be pretty gawd awful as I see letters to the editor from timeshare owners raging about another raise in their tax and swearing that they'll never return to the island.

UPDATE: The homeowner rate is $2.75 per $1000. The timeshare rate is $15.50 per $1000. Ouch! Hotels and resorts only pay $9.15.
Let's say that a unit has a value, including the proportionate ownership of the common areas, of $1,000,000. In theory, only 50 weeks are sold to allow for maintenance. So each week has a value of $20,000 (which may be a bit low). The Real Estate Tax portion of the annual fee is only $310 per week.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 am

Cheshire Figment wrote:Let's say that a unit has a value, including the proportionate ownership of the common areas, of $1,000,000. In theory, only 50 weeks are sold to allow for maintenance. So each week has a value of $20,000 (which may be a bit low). The Real Estate Tax portion of the annual fee is only $310 per week.
Assuming the unit value is $1M, that puts your tax rate at 16%. Ouch! If you pay $640 on a unit value of $40,000 you're still at 15%.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by delsdad » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:01 pm

hobie16 wrote:Do you pay property tax too? Maui County determined that they were loosing a huge hunk of tax revenue because of hotel conversions to timeshare and timeshares being built instead of hotels. What did they do? They created a new property tax category for timeshare units.

The taxes are rolled into that bill. Its still cheaper than my parents unit at the Diamond in Maui ! Which they would love to sell!

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 pm

delsdad wrote:The taxes are rolled into that bill. Its still cheaper than my parents unit at the Diamond in Maui ! Which they would love to sell!
Where is the Diamond?

--- Matt King

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by delsdad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 pm

hobie16 wrote:Where is the Diamond?
I think is might be the Diamond Kanapali ? Ive never been, only heard them talk about it , and seen ohotos of the flowers in the gardens.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 am

delsdad wrote:I think is might be the Diamond Kanapali ? Ive never been, only heard them talk about it , and seen ohotos of the flowers in the gardens.
Ahhh, the Diamond Resorts International Ka'anapali Beach Club formerly known as Embassy Suites. It's a huge pink building that I can see from our second floor lanai. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

--- Matt King

delsdad
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by delsdad » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:27 pm

hobie16 wrote:Ahhh, the Diamond Resorts International Ka'anapali Beach Club formerly known as Embassy Suites. It's a huge pink building that I can see from our second floor lanai. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thats the one. Care to buy a guest suite for those out of towners who are best kept at a distance ?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 pm

delsdad wrote:Thats the one. Care to buy a guest suite for those out of towners who are best kept at a distance ?
Funny you should ask. Next Christmas is becoming a family reunion. We'll fly the youngest in from wherever she's going to college and the oldest and her boyfriend. My wife's oldest brother and his family will also be coming. And my MIL who believes everyone should wait on her hand and foot will grace us with her presence.

When my wife was setting this up she told the oldest she and her BF could have the bedroom with the queen size bed and attached bedroom. The MIL would take the other bedroom and could use the downstairs half bath for her nocturnal needs. Not good enough for the MIL. She demands that she be given exclusive use of the bedroom and bath.

My wife, trying to appease everyone, asked the oldest if she and her BF could use a queen sized inflatable in the family room. Nope. The BF has a bad back.

I suggested putting the oldest in the second bedroom and the the BF and MIL share the bed in the first bedroom. No one appreciated my humor.

So, if this gets any crazier, I may be considering a suite at the Diamond for me.

--- Matt King