Disneyland Vacation

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Re: Disneyland Vacation

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 am

YANXWIN wrote:A 9 hour drive is geting easier to make oall the time.
If my five hour flight was as cheap as your nine hour drive I'd be there multiple times every year.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am

YANXWIN wrote:We go a few times a year and 5 days would be plenty. Watch the crowd calendars and see what are the slow times. We eat all over, so any dining plan there wouldn't work for us. We like the restaurants in Downtown Disney and the portions are really big, so we end up sharing so we don't waste so much food.

We walk past the Candy Cane Inn but have never stayed there. We have been staying at Desert Palms Inn and Suites. They have a full hot breakfast included so that is one less meal that we have to buy every day. A 9 hour drive is geting easier to make oall the time. We just can't seem to stay away.
I used to stay at the place accrost from the front entrance, down that little road by mimis near the freeway, was the penny sleeper. now they were bought by choice and are awfull. they had a continental breakfast too. donuts, creal, juice and coffee. if you got up with the sun to beat the crowd. but I usally go winter time. so the parks dont open until between 8 and 10. depending on day and whats happening in the parks. wake up, schlep over to DTd and wait unitl the places start serving breakfast. grab some stuff, go over to jamba and drink a load of green tea for energy. then go sit in the entrance way between parks waiting until the first one opens.
I have been going since I was just a kidney. now I am on disablility and want to stay in thier hotels for once. I now I can stay accrost the street for less then half. but I want the full disney experience. this will be on my balloon payment. so I might not make it back after this. not on 900 a month. sort of one big blow out.

Corey

YANXWIN
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by YANXWIN » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm

If a flight to Hawaii was as cheap as my drive, we would go to Hawaii for once in our lives.

A for staying on property once, sounds like fun. No matter what you do, you will have a great time. We have found out that, fast or slow, close or far, we always have a great time there. That's why we keep going back.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm

YANXWIN wrote:If a flight to Hawaii was as cheap as my drive, we would go to Hawaii for once in our lives.
There's a fare war going on that has gotten prices down to a fairly affordable level. Down side is where they fly out of.

The real expense is once you get here. Hotel occupancy levels have gone up and the prices have followed. There's still deals to be had but you won't be in a major resort area. And that's okay because the only real decision to be made is, beach or pool?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 am

drcorey wrote:yeah I know I can do the same for like 2500.00 less staying acrost the street. maybe howard johnsons or ramada maingate. but I have the money and wanted the disneyland experience.
If you want the Disneyland experience, then by all means, go for the Disneyland Hotel. Paradise Pier is meh in terms of theming ('course that could be attributed to having lived in California all my life) and Grand Californian is more Yosemite than Disney.

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am

hobie16 wrote:There's still deals to be had but you won't be in a major resort area. And that's okay because the only real decision to be made is, beach or pool?
Honestly, when I am in Maui County, I would rather not be in a major resort area. I say, find a rental place that doesn't mind a bit of dirt, grab a nice jeep, take the back road and pitch a tent in Hana for a month (once in a lifetime is enough down the tourist road), get a fishing license so I can eat and give me a good source of water. As far as the beach goes, as long as it's not too far a walk, I'll be happy.

On Hawai'i, I'll take the Kona side, Down the road several miles from the Hilton Resort (my favorite timeshare EVER is the Bay Club that is up the road and maintained by that Hilton... The one with the transportation built by Disney).

Oahu? Day visit only, please. I want to see the Arizona and Polynesian Cultural Center. Other than that, I have no need to ever see Waikiki Beach. No, seriously. Like, ever.

I am SO over doing anything touristy on any island... unless, of course, we're talking a helicopter tour. So, as far as finding places away from the tourist areas? Sign me up. Next time I am planning a trip, you'd better believe Hobie is going to be my main contact in planning.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 am

If you really want to get off of the beaten track you should look into Niihau. It's a privately owned island west of Kauai. Access is limited and can be pricy.

If you're looking for quiet and wide open spaces then Kauai is the place. No vog compared to the Big Island. The first time I was on the island in the mid -70s there was only one traffic light for the whole island. There might be a few more by now but their probably all in Lihue. For a preview watch The Descendants. All of the scenes of the land, the beach cottage, and the property where the family met were all on Kauai.

Don't sell Oahu short. Honolulu is just another big city with a beach. The north shore, or what the locals call "up in the country" is completely different. One or two hotels, wide open, killer winter surf. It's always something to consider.

--- Matt King

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

That sounds like a fantastic place. I would love to head over to Kauai, though I have heard it's become really crowded. And the surfing on the North Shore... Maybe I'll have to visit.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by hobie16 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Big Wallaby wrote:And the surfing on the North Shore... Maybe I'll have to visit.
You should come for The Eddie.

[video=youtube;qJ6AzA4SvTY][/video]

--- Matt King

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm

hobie16 wrote:If you really want to get off of the beaten track you should look into Niihau. It's a privately owned island west of Kauai. Access is limited and can be pricy.
Is that Larry's island?

(What's the difference between God and Larry Ellison?)
[spoiler]God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison[/spoiler]

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.