Kind of Funny

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Kind of Funny

Post by Zazu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Buggy wrote:Zazu, is it at all related to the 20,000 Leagues walkthrough at Disneyland Paris? That was cool!
It was the inspiration for the Paris attraction, though the latter was better for having been purpose-built. The Disneyland version was a bit tacky in real life, since it had been a movie set and never designed to be moved, much less subjected to regular cleaning and the occasional elbow or SG.

The Paris model also gets extra points for actually being inside a submarine rather than a building.

:yelsub:

Zazu

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 am

Instead of a pin of an attraction poster, why not sell the actual attraction poster in high quality (and by high quality I mean not printed on a consumer level printer) without characters on it for $15? If Wal-mart can do it for $7, I'm pretty sure Disney could too.

Disneyfreak16
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by Disneyfreak16 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 am

Actually, not only was it a walk through but it also included a ride in a submarine. It was located where the finding nemo ride is now.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:13 am

Disneyfreak16 wrote:Actually, not only was it a walk through but it also included a ride in a submarine. It was located where the finding nemo ride is now.
I think you're confused. The 20,000 Leagues walk-through was on the main walkway through Tomorrowland, just off the hub. The area was later Adventures Thru Inner Space, if I remember correctly.

Disneyland's Finding Nemo attraction is in the Submarine Lagoon, former site of the .... let's not always see the same hands now .... that's right, the Submarine Ride.

Kind of hard to have a walk-through in a lagoon, but I do recall some guests tried it.

Zazu

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:50 am

I've heard mermaids were a strong motivator.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I've heard mermaids were a strong motivator.
Alas, having never been to Disneyland (but still wanting to :) ) I missed the mermaids, but I have a good friend who fondly recalls them. Must have been a tough job, but what a great touch for the submarines!

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:23 am

Zazu is 100% right. I remember that attraction, I was 5 years old. It wasn't a ride, more of an exhibit. And that's true about the organ in the HM. As an old-timer, I can verify!

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 am

Ok, going way back, what was in the space of the submarines before the subs opened in 1959? Was it "Phantom Boats?"

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 am

The Phantom boat loading dock was/is located behind the turkey leg shack and existed alongside the original Submarine Voyage, if I recall correctly. And I don't think there was anything in the lagoon area before the Submarine Voyage.