Goodbye to the Submarines, AGAIN??

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Goodbye to the Submarines, AGAIN??

Post by svickersart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 pm

hobie16 wrote:It was probably this article. Scroll down to Back to the Future.
that would be the one.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:The original Submarine Voyage NEVER had short lines either. It was always a popular attraction from the time Walt Disney added it into the park to the day it was shut down. A lot of Guests wanted it back and that's how we ended up with Nemo subs.

The fact of the matter is any ride in the park can be a target for demolition, whether it's popular or not.
Well, there weren't anymore guests that wanted it then those in WDW. We didn't get it, so I still say that they all knew that it was a slow loader and they built it anyway. It wasn't just Guest demand or there would be one just like it in WDW.

They were so sure that the WDW Guests would be up in arms if they heard that DL had revised the sub ride that before it was announced for DL they filled in the Lagoon in Florida making it impossible. It was obvious by it's timing. They let the Lagoon sit there for 9 years and then all of a sudden, it was gone. Goodbye Lagoon, hello Pooh playground.

It shut down originally because the equipment was falling apart, smelly and outdated (story line as well). They didn't have to re-imagine it because the public had pretty well accepted that it was history by then. As long as there is still a demand...it will stay. If not, the end of sub rides will have arrived, never to be mentioned again.

:goofy: :goofy:

KieranDotW
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by KieranDotW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:I have only been to Disneyland once and that was in October of 2005, they were still rebuilding it at that point. I have no idea if it still has lines or if it is a walk on now. If it still has lines...you won't be seeing it close anytime soon.
Last I went (Summer 2010), attendance was no issue -- at least a ninety minute wait by mid-morning. Don't know how much of that was popularity or slow loading speed though.

But hadn't Disney been waiting the reopen the subs for a while now? I recall reading somewhere they initially planned for an Atlantis-themed attraction, but scrapped it due to the failure of that film. I'd hate to see such a labor of love go to waste.