Goodbye to the Submarines, AGAIN??

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Goodbye to the Submarines, AGAIN??

Post by TiggerHappy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:21 am

I really hope this rumor from Board X is false. As much as I detest the retheme into Finding Nemo, I still love the subs with all my heart. :( I really don't want to see this Walt Disney E-Ticket get sent to the junkyard for good.

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Goodbye to the Submarines, AGAIN??

Post by GaTechGal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 am

That would really surprise me based on all the money that they put into renovating them only a few years ago unless there was some sort of big safety issue.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 am

The issue is the number of guests that can pass through the attraction and the cost of maintenance. The subs have the lowest number of guests per hour while costing the most to maintain. That puts a huge target on the conning towers for the finance guys to shoot at.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 pm

hobie16 wrote:The issue is the number of guests that can pass through the attraction and the cost of maintenance. The subs have the lowest number of guests per hour while costing the most to maintain. That puts a huge target on the conning towers for the finance guys to shoot at.
I've never understood why they don't put tow bars in to link the subs in pairs and run them with only a single pilot. That would be a significant reduction in labor, and provide backup power whenever one of them lost it.

:yelsub: :yelsub:

Of course, there may be safety rules about having a crewmember aboard each vessel, but given the catwalks in the caverns, the relatively easy accessibility of the lagoon, and the long safe history of operation, it doesn't strike this observer as unreasonable.

Zazu

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:13 pm

I feel that I have to classify this as pure rumor. Don't you think that they knew, when they reopened the subs what the ride ratio was? I'm sure that they had a good idea what it was going to cost to run it. Now all the reasons, that they already knew, would be the reasons to close it?

I have only been to Disneyland once and that was in October of 2005, they were still rebuilding it at that point. I have no idea if it still has lines or if it is a walk on now. If it still has lines...you won't be seeing it close anytime soon. No, I'd bet the farm on someone trying to stir a pot.

If, on the other hand, they did decide to close it. Well, they had to have someplace to relocate the Pooh playground from WDW. :) They sure as hell wouldn't just re-theme a ride that still had the same problems as the old one did.

:goofy: :goofy:

svickersart
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by svickersart » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm

hobie16 wrote:The issue is the number of guests that can pass through the attraction and the cost of maintenance. The subs have the lowest number of guests per hour while costing the most to maintain. That puts a huge target on the conning towers for the finance guys to shoot at.
From what I read also, the subs, autopia and inoventions take up about 20% of the park. Thats alot of real estate to play with. The artical I read talked about a major upgrade like DCA, so that allows for more than 3 attractions.
Steve

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:58 pm

svickersart wrote:From what I read also, the subs, autopia and inoventions take up about 20% of the park. Thats alot of real estate to play with. The artical I read talked about a major upgrade like DCA, so that allows for more than 3 attractions.
Steve
It was probably this article. Scroll down to Back to the Future.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 pm

No. Just No. :mad:

Disney Management has very, very sneaky ways of getting what they want. Don't believe me? Proof is in the fact Florida no longer has submarines.

These really should be left alone, their so iconic to Disney. Kids and Families love them even if you do have to wait in line, perhaps if this rumor becomes more firm we should deploy the Florida Lynch Mob to DLR.

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 pm

They,(the suits), want to get rid of it because of 'low' capacity and yet they got rid of one of the highest capacity rides for a PoS 'thrill ride'. :mad:
Go figure. :confused:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 am

Goofyernmost wrote:I have only been to Disneyland once and that was in October of 2005, they were still rebuilding it at that point. I have no idea if it still has lines or if it is a walk on now. If it still has lines...you won't be seeing it close anytime soon. No, I'd bet the farm on someone trying to stir a pot.
The original Submarine Voyage NEVER had short lines either. It was always a popular attraction from the time Walt Disney added it into the park to the day it was shut down. A lot of Guests wanted it back and that's how we ended up with Nemo subs.

The fact of the matter is any ride in the park can be a target for demolition, whether it's popular or not.