"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by Shorty82 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they ban smoking from the parks entirely and just tell people to exit the park to do their thing.
I don't smoke and I think smoking is a filthy habit but I don't want to see it banned in the parks completely. I have family members who smoke and I understand that they need a nicotine fix every so often. If they ban smoking completely all that'll do is piss people off and cause smokers to light up wherever and when they get informed smoking is not permitted they'll yell and scream at the CMs even more than they do now. The smoking areas could be better, even with the limitations of space there is. Disney doesn't seem to put a lot of thought into a lot of the smoking areas. The smoking area near Expedition Everest, for instance, is to small and to close to the main path yet that area was built after Disney started restricting smoking to designated areas so they could have easily designed the space better, it's like it was an after thought. Yes most of the smoking areas are after thoughts (no way around that) but that one shouldn't have been. Smoking areas shouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere but they also shouldn't be right where the smoke will blow on main paths all the time. They should also be shaded and have plenty of benches. Smokers are people too.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 am

Shorty82 wrote:If they ban smoking completely all that'll do is piss people off and cause smokers to light up wherever and when they get informed smoking is not permitted they'll yell and scream at the CMs even more than they do now.
I don't think I'll notice much of a difference if they yell and scream more often. And people light up wherever even when we CMs do politely and clearly direct them to the nearest smoking area. I see as many people smoking outside of smoking areas as there are in designated smoking areas. It doesn't feel like having designated smoking areas really do anything.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:59 am

Like Shorty, I am not a smoker, never have been, and never will be since the thought of it makes me go "ewww" and my asthma wouldn't appreciate it. That said, I wouldn't want a complete ban, either. I think society will need to turn away from it a lot more before complete bans would ever work. If the number of smokers ever got small enough, they might make it work, but right now it would be a disaster in my opinion.

Disney could probably get better results by putting more thought and convenience in to the smoking areas. Just as they did research to determine the optimal distance between trash cans to reduce littering, they should put some thought and study in creating smoking areas. Spacing, capacity, etc. At least if they had the information, they could create new areas accordingly and when reworking an existing area they could have an ideal to aspire towards.

BTW, is there a smoking are in the Fantasyland expansion?

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I don't think I'll notice much of a difference if they yell and scream more often. And people light up wherever even when we CMs do politely and clearly direct them to the nearest smoking area. I see as many people smoking outside of smoking areas as there are in designated smoking areas. It doesn't feel like having designated smoking areas really do anything.
I'm sorry but that statement is just not true. You will see the occasional dummy sitting on a random wall smoking a cigarette, but you don't see it all the time and it certainly isn't "as many people smoking outside of smoking areas as there are in designated areas." It's a nasty habit and I had it for nearly 40 years before quitting, but smokers are not made up of a majority of inconsiderate slobs, as you would have us believe.

When I have been I have seen the smoking areas filled to capacity and a random person occasionally smoking outside of them, but not very often. Most try to be respectful of others and not without considerable inconveniences to themselves, I might add. It's alright to be upset by those that do not care and smoke where they want, but please don't paint smokers as being all self consumed. Smokers are aware of the degree of scorn that they get from the superior group and they do take pains to not offend anyone, but, I have witnessed people hassling smokers even when they were in the assigned areas. Hint: (cough, cough, frown, glance toward the smokers) I won't say that it is as many as there are that do not do that. It's a small number of "holier then thou" not the majority. The rest understand that they don't have the power to control everyone on the planet, and don't even try.

:goofy: :goofy:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am

TiggerHappy wrote:I see as many people smoking outside of smoking areas as there are in designated smoking areas. It doesn't feel like having designated smoking areas really do anything.
Goofyernmost wrote:I'm sorry but that statement is just not true. You will see the occasional dummy sitting on a random wall smoking a cigarette, but you don't see it all the time and it certainly isn't "as many people smoking outside of smoking areas as there are in designated areas."
With respect, I think that TiggerHappy is talking about Disneyland and Goofyernmost is talking about WDW. Very different crowds in the two resorts, so variations in typical behavior are to be expected.

I too have seen more rogue smokers at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom, so perhaps we're all correct here.

Zazu

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Zazu wrote:I too have seen more rogue smokers at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom, so perhaps we're all correct here.
It's the Left Coast attitude. "Whadda mean smokin' will kill me? Have you ever heard of earthquakes?!?!"

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Zazu wrote:With respect, I think that TiggerHappy is talking about Disneyland and Goofyernmost is talking about WDW. Very different crowds in the two resorts, so variations in typical behavior are to be expected.

I too have seen more rogue smokers at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom, so perhaps we're all correct here.
hobie16 wrote:It's the Left Coast attitude. "Whadda mean smokin' will kill me? Have you ever heard of earthquakes?!?!"
You are correct...I was thinking WDW, but I have to admit to being very surprised. We're talking California here. The land of the beautiful. It would never have occurred to me that the beautiful people would harm themselves with that nasty cigarette smoke. I must be buying into the hype. Well, learn something new everyday.

:goofy: :goofy:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Zazu wrote:With respect, I think that TiggerHappy is talking about Disneyland and Goofyernmost is talking about WDW. Very different crowds in the two resorts, so variations in typical behavior are to be expected.

Interesting. Anyone have thoughts on why that's so? I have heard from multiple sources that Disneyland has a higher percentage of day visitors compared to the multiday (or week :D: ) stays common at WDW. Not sure why that would make a difference in smoking behavior, though. If that mix is true, I would expect WDW to have a higher percentage of foreign nationals so it wouldn't be a language barrier.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm

WEDFan wrote: I have heard from multiple sources that Disneyland has a higher percentage of day visitors compared to the multiday (or week :D: ) stays common at WDW.
Look at the surrounding areas of each park to see why. WDW is in Orlando. Is there that much to the surrounding area?

DL/CA is buried right in the middle of the LosAngelesOrangeCountySanDiego metroplex containing a gazillion people. There is also an excellent freeway system to deliver the unwashed masses to DL/CA's front door.

WDW gets the SA crowd as their neighbor Miami is considered the capital of SA. Europeans looking for a warmer mouse encounter will ignore DLP and hop on an across the pond flight to WDW.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:You are correct...I was thinking WDW, but I have to admit to being very surprised. We're talking California here. The land of the beautiful. It would never have occurred to me that the beautiful people would harm themselves with that nasty cigarette smoke. I must be buying into the hype. Well, learn something new everyday.
If celebrities aren't smoking, they're doing drugs. If they're not doing drugs, they're doing alcohol. I've long since connotated celebrity status to nasty habits and police reports.