"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by felinefan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Our lease says no smoking in the house, period. Two of my roomies are quitting smoking, because the one has had asthma since birth. I can't think of her name, but there was a singer (female) who was active in the 30s-40s. She never smoked, but she died of lung cancer anyway--brought on by years of performing in smoke-filled clubs. Mom told me about her. Her husband was also famous.

My younger sister had to quit smoking for a different reason--being she's so small, she was taking birth control pills and smoking, so several years ago she had a stroke at 42. She also underwent a procedure so she wouldn't need to take birth control pills--it was similar to a D&C--in addition to quitting smoking. However, my nieces and nephew--her kids-- smoke. And they have asthma too. You'd think people with asthma would know better.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:15 pm

felinefan wrote:Our lease says no smoking in the house, period. Two of my roomies are quitting smoking, because the one has had asthma since birth. I can't think of her name, but there was a singer (female) who was active in the 30s-40s. She never smoked, but she died of lung cancer anyway--brought on by years of performing in smoke-filled clubs. Mom told me about her. Her husband was also famous.

My younger sister had to quit smoking for a different reason--being she's so small, she was taking birth control pills and smoking, so several years ago she had a stroke at 42. She also underwent a procedure so she wouldn't need to take birth control pills--it was similar to a D&C--in addition to quitting smoking. However, my nieces and nephew--her kids-- smoke. And they have asthma too. You'd think people with asthma would know better.
why do diabetics eat donuts?

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

drcorey wrote:why do diabetics eat donuts?
Because Krispy Creme tells them to.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:45 pm

I only smoke when I am on fire.
but I do vape now and then.

Corey

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am

NemoRanger wrote: I wonder how he would have handled the smoking if here were still alive. I have never been a smoker and don't really remember Disneyland when smoking was allowed.

I think there was once a smoke shop. So were there Disney themed Ash Trays everywhere? Could you smoke in line for the rides?
If Walt were alive today, he'd be dead.

There was a smoke shop on main street. Next to the Magic Shop. There were also cigarette vending machines throughout the park. You could not smoke once you were inside the queue area, and smoking was NEVER allowed inside the rides. The ashtrays were heavy and made of cement. Not themed to the area, but painted in different colors. Ewww, we CM's had to take out the screen and empty the butts of the ashtrays that were at the turnstile. And I did know someone who had a cigarette flicked at her.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:If Walt were alive today, he'd be dead.

There was a smoke shop on main street. Next to the Magic Shop. There were also cigarette vending machines throughout the park. You could not smoke once you were inside the queue area, and smoking was NEVER allowed inside the rides. The ashtrays were heavy and made of cement. Not themed to the area, but painted in different colors. Ewww, we CM's had to take out the screen and empty the butts of the ashtrays that were at the turnstile. And I did know someone who had a cigarette flicked at her.
I can't speak for DL but in WDW there used to be a virtual army of invisible people that like the folks that had followed horses in parades did, would run out of hiding as soon as a cigarette butt hit the pavement. It used to amaze me. Didn't see anyone anywhere, and all of a sudden they came out of the shadows and swept it up. Maybe that was one of the reasons that the parks are not as clean now as they used to be. Blame it on the public that relegated all the smokers to the lepers compound away from the more righteous. :D:

:goofy: :goofy:

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:I can't speak for DL but in WDW there used to be a virtual army of invisible people that like the folks that had followed horses in parades did, would run out of hiding as soon as a cigarette butt hit the pavement. It used to amaze me. Didn't see anyone anywhere, and all of a sudden they came out of the shadows and swept it up. Maybe that was one of the reasons that the parks are not as clean now as they used to be. Blame it on the public that relegated all the smokers to the lepers compound away from the more righteous. :D:
You may be right! Disney must be about the only place where fewer cigarrette butts droppped on the ground leads to less cleanliness overall.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:44 am

That's because in DL they smoke in secluded areas and toss the butts into the bushes. When I clean, I'll find maybe one or two butts on the ground, but once you glimpse into the flowerbeds, it's like a little alien village.

Csaks
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Csaks » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 am

As an average of a pack a day smoker, I have no problem finding the smoking areas. The only pet peeve I have is they seem to keep changing said areas from trip to trip. It's the only reason I get Park maps these days. I have gone to some 'areas' I knew by heart on previous trips and they are gone. Disney seems to be making less areas as well, I could be wrong but thats what it feels like. I think they might be causing their own problem with this by limiting the areas smokers can do the dirty deed. People smoke, maybe not as many as back in the day but some still do.
If it becomes harder and harder to find an area I can see people just saying to hell with it and smoke wherever. They should do they same thing our local zoo does. They have made areas (usually two in a land) that are extremely well defined. Picture a main pathway, a large sign with Smoking area on it and a small path 25' long with a semicircle of benches at the end with an ashtray in the middle or close by. No mistaking the area for what it is and it is off the beaten path but easy to find on maps or just walking along. I can not recall anyone just walking along having a smoke since they started using this system. If it is easy to follow the rules, most will comply.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm

I think that mainly has to do with them changing areas of the park in a way that prevents them from keeping the smoking areas in the same place. Keep in mind, in Walt's time there were no such thing as smoking areas so the park wasn't built with that in mind. Space is a premium in the parks now so they have to make do with what they have and convenient smoking areas are low on their priority. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they ban smoking from the parks entirely and just tell people to exit the park to do their thing.