"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Sat May 05, 2012 2:05 am

A couple of days ago, I was walking through the Hub towards Main Street on my way out when I caught sight of two adults smoking while sitting on a bench with their children near by. I was about to look around for the nearest CM, but another guests noticed this and caught the closest CM. So, this CM goes up to this group with the standard "There is no smoking here." spiel. One of the adults managed to put it out, while the other kept on smoking as if the CM was speaking to them. It seemed that she was going to continue on to finish it until they were done. I don't know what that meant to that person, but "No smoking here" means to put it out IMMEDIATELY or walk over to the nearest smoking section. :mad: What makes them think that the rules don't apply to them?

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by avengador1 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:42 am

What makes them think that the rules don't apply to them?
This is what makes them SGs. They think that since they spent x amount of dollars to get in they own the place. They also consider CMs to be beneath them and little more than dogs they can boss around and ignore. Some will even get indignant if you try to make them follow the rules.

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Sat May 05, 2012 10:46 am

Part is certainly entitlement -- they have the God-given right to smoke anywhere they want, but I wonder if part isn't the lack of repurcussions. Does Disney really have any policy around what to do if a smoker refuses to follow the rules? Are they willing to create an issue with someone smoking in an outdoor area? I mean, I can see them being removed if they were smoking in an attraction, but would they trespass someone for smoking rules violations in an outdoor setting?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or even cynical, but I'm not sure that even outside of Disney there are many companies or even cops who are willing to create a potential legal case around smoking enforcement.

What do you all think?

DLRFantasmic!Dan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by DLRFantasmic!Dan » Sat May 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Disney can do whatever they want. It is private property and everyone must listen to them. Disney Park, Disney rules.

Attractions:
Rocket Scientist at "HISTA"/ Astro Orbitor,
Space Ranger at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Fantasmic!
The POD
RDCT Fireworks
From June 28, 2003 To October 4, 2006 - Once A DL CM, Always A DL CM!

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Sat May 05, 2012 3:21 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. Disney and all other theme parks need clearly large, visible signs that say "Smoking Area" not hiding them like us smokers are a naughty little secret. They also need a clearly defined area that constitutes "This is the smoking area.. that is not". Because I am sick and tired and CM's and other theme park employees having a damn cow at smokers like me because we're not inside some invisible circle that designates "Smoking" and "Non-Smoking".

Woe be upon you if your not inside that invisible circle!

It's happened everyplace, your near the ashtray.. right close the nearly hidden sign that says "Your evil smokers, be banished you horrid spawn of Satan" and one employee will ALWAYS come over and yell at someone that they are not in the smoking area. :rolleyes:

I understand this is a different situation but really, if those signs where visible and clearly marked.. this wouldn't be nearly the problem people make it out to be. Even myself, a seasoned park goer and ex-CM have trouble telling exactly WHERE those places are! :confused:
Granted, your always going to have morons and those who don't listen but I've honestly found most smokers to be polite. We're a social bunch of pariahs, at least until someone passes the magic invisible line and gets yelled at. Then we're angry and have lighters... :D:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Sat May 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Disneyland Resort Smoking Areas: (List) (Map)
Image: Fantasyland Smoking Area

As for the actual Guides to the Magic...
Even in foreign languages, smoking areas are clearly designated on Park Guides: (Korean Guide)

Knowledge and education are only as powerful as one chooses to learn or examine.

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Ok, the maps do show every smoking area clearly marked. However, they no longer teach people in school how to read a map. The maps to me could not be more simple but I see countless people holding the maps with a state of total confusion on their face. They just do not understand.

They symbol covers to broad of an area. There is nothing telling you when your in the area that the smoking area is along this wall or in this corner.
OK, the garbage cans do have ashtrays on the top but that is just not enough. They need a sign that says SMOKING AREA.

Its to much to ask a guest on vacation who want a quick smoke to read signs and follow the clues. They just want to hop out, get the smoke fix and rejoin the family. Not go on a huge expedition with Sherpa and camels.

I actually am starting to feel bad for the smoker. So many times I see them running to some corner where they think they are being nice and out of the way in reality the smoke is drifting and they don't know it. I often let the ones trying to be discreet smoke away. Its the ones in OBVIOUS non smoking areas I hassle.

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Guests are constantly reminded by spiels, on all modes of transportation, that the whole property is designated as a no smoking zone and that smoking is only allowed in designated areas. Signage usually has little effect, as most guest usually miss seeing the signs that are already posted, but it would not hurt if there was better signage for the smoking areas. I usually know I am near a smoking area because of the cigarette smoke smell that permeates the air. ;)

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 pm

CA Screamin Dude wrote:Disneyland Resort Smoking Areas: (List) (Map)
Image: Fantasyland Smoking Area

As for the actual Guides to the Magic...
Even in foreign languages, smoking areas are clearly designated on Park Guides: (Korean Guide)

Knowledge and education are only as powerful as one chooses to learn or examine.
Yes, but even after you find them...the boundaries are not clearly defined. Unless everyone huddles around the ashtray it is difficult to know.

:goofy: :goofy:

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Sat May 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Do what they do at airports. Build an enclosure of some sort. Wall them off from the rest of the park. You could create smoker lounges. Sell Drinks and Cigarettes in those area and then every smoker would know exactly where to go and would WANT to be in there.