"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by Goofyernmost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 am

TiggerHappy wrote:If celebrities aren't smoking, they're doing drugs. If they're not doing drugs, they're doing alcohol. I've long since connotated celebrity status to nasty habits and police reports.
Your right, but, I was thinking more about the wanna-be's that live in California. Soaking up the sunshine, working out, eating all the right things (or nothing at all) and being health conscience to the point of inducing rage from those of us that tend to occasionally fall off that particular wagon. They have banned smoking in every conceivable corner of that state. How is that consistent with what you are describing. Or is it maybe a backlash from the people that were zeroed in on as evil smokers, while drinking, drug use and crazy behavior is idolized. :(

:goofy: :goofy:

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 pm

As another non-smoker, it's a combination of nictine being severely addictive, to people who believe they have the "right" to smoke. I have five roommates, and one smokes a brand of cigarettes that makes us gag, the smell is so bad--Newports. I remember when those things were advertised as being "fresher" in taste--yeah, I'm old enough to remember when cigarettes were heavily advertised on T.V.. One of my roomies has severe asthma, and so far has been five weeks without smoking. We're very proud of her and give her lots of support. Only myself and one other roomie don't smoke. And boy do I wish I had a non-smoking place to live. Stuff's nasty.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:34 pm

felinefan wrote: Stuff's nasty.
Not just nasty but expensive. A pack in Hawaii is $9.73. New York is #11.90. I got the prices from a site that's flogging electronic cigs.

Electronic cigarette cartridges usually contain the same amount of nicotine, per inhale, as a cigarette - nicotine is known to be highly addictive and causes damage to the heart and vascular system. A single cartridge can be the equivalent of 40 cigarettes, but with the potential to inhale continuously until the cartridge is depleted. Therefore, the potential of nicotine poisoning is increased by the incorrect use of the device.
[...]
In May 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis tested 19 varieties of electronic cigarette cartridges produced by two vendors NJoy and Smoking Everywhere. Diethylene glycol, a poisonous and hygroscopic liquid, was detected in one of the cartridges manufactured by Smoking Everywhere . Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), known cancer-causing agents, were detected in all of the cartridges from one brand and two of the cartridges from the other brand. Nicotine can also be traced in some claimed nicotine-free cartridges. Further concerns were raised over inconsistent amounts of nicotine delivered when drawing on the device. In some e-cigarettes, "Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans—anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine—were detected in a majority of the samples tested." None of these chemicals, however, was detectable in exhaled vapor.

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 am

Goofyernmost wrote:They have banned smoking in every conceivable corner of that state.
Smoking banned in California? Where did you hear that? As far as I know, we have a regulation in place that says smokers are not allowed to smoke closer than 20 feet to a door. Windows are free game, though.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 am

TiggerHappy wrote:Smoking banned in California? Where did you hear that? As far as I know, we have a regulation in place that says smokers are not allowed to smoke closer than 20 feet to a door. Windows are free game, though.
I can confirm that smoking is not banned everywhere in California. It is banned in many public buildings, mostly restaurants and government offices.

As for us idolizing drug-use, drinking, and the such...um, nope, at least not any more than plenty of other places, as far as I can tell.

I confess, I have told folks that, to me, "smoke inhalation" is something you list as a cause of death, not as a hobby... :)

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 am

TiggerHappy wrote:Smoking banned in California? Where did you hear that? As far as I know, we have a regulation in place that says smokers are not allowed to smoke closer than 20 feet to a door. Windows are free game, though.
PatchOBlack wrote:I can confirm that smoking is not banned everywhere in California. It is banned in many public buildings, mostly restaurants and government offices.

As for us idolizing drug-use, drinking, and the such...um, nope, at least not any more than plenty of other places, as far as I can tell.

I confess, I have told folks that, to me, "smoke inhalation" is something you list as a cause of death, not as a hobby... :)
I guess I am letting my image of California overwhelm the reality. I always thought that the "Fur Shure" state was a beacon to the pure and clean of body amongst it's regular residents and that the evil was pretty much centered on the "Celebrities". Those with too much money and no place to spend it. (apparently they never heard of charity)

Anyway, I stand corrected. I was originally thinking WDW when I posted my contradiction, but see now that I was way across the country away from accuracy. The last time I was in DL was in 2005 and never noticed a big problem there with smokers. I do remember having a tough time seeing any smoking areas, but when I saw them they were usually filled with smokers. (I assumed out of towners) That was eight years ago and a lot could have changed during that time. So I will bow my head in shame :) and slowly back out of this conversation.

While I am thinking of it, however, take a look at the bio's (real) of so many of the celebrities in the area and tell me how drug use and stupid behavior isn't tolerated and certainly rewarded by the adoring public.

:goofy: :goofy:

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 am

Goofyernmost wrote:I guess I am letting my image of California overwhelm the reality.

While I am thinking of it, however, take a look at the bio's (real) of so many of the celebrities in the area and tell me how drug use and stupid behavior isn't tolerated and certainly rewarded by the adoring public.
As a native Californian, and someone who has worked in Hollywood, I think you've become the victim of sterotypes.

I don't find Californians to be especially more health-conscious than the rest of the nation, though those who are tend to be more overt and even obnoxious about it. But realize too that the "blonde bimbo" image we often get of that state is now quite the minority, with Latinos poised to become the majority in the next few years. Note please that this isn't to suggest that Latinos are less health-conscious, only that they tend not to be (naturally) blonde.

I've worked with a number of celbrities, and on average, they aren't any more likely to be druggies than the general public. It's just that when you pull down the kind of salary Charlie Sheen does, you can go through a whole lot more cocaine than your average wage slave. The media is also strongly biased toward the sensational, and places a high value on schadenfreude, so the dedicated workers in the entertianment business don't get the coverage the bad boys and bad girls do.

California is different, I'll readly endorse that concept, but it's neither greatly worse nor better than anywhere else.

Zazu

TiggerHappy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Disneyland
Department: Food & Beverage

Post by TiggerHappy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Zazu wrote:California is different, I'll readly endorse that concept, but it's neither greatly worse nor better than anywhere else.
Disney thinks it's unique enough to have its own theme park. If they're going to base theme parks on states now, why not make one for the rest of the 49 states? Disney Idaho Adventure, anyone?

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am

TiggerHappy wrote:Disney thinks it's unique enough to have its own theme park. If they're going to base theme parks on states now, why not make one for the rest of the 49 states? Disney Idaho Adventure, anyone?
I'm holding out for Disney's Rhode Island World Adventure of Tomorrow.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 pm

TiggerHappy wrote:Disney Idaho Adventure, anyone?
It'd be cheap. Acres and acres of fiberglass hills, with rumors of crazy people with too many guns hiding there.

Zazu