"No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
reiella
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: "No Smoking Here!" Means "Finish Your Cigarette" To Some People

Post by reiella » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 am

Big Wallaby wrote:I am pretty sure that is SOP.
Depends on area. The city I'm in actually has smoking banned 15ft from the entrance of any designated area [including bars]. Further my place of employment's policy is that OSHA requires that employees be able to get to work without having to pass/be impeded by smokers [which means our parking lots are no-smoking as well].

Of course 15ft isn't that much when contrasted to theme park entrances :) .

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue May 08, 2012 12:15 pm

reiella wrote:Depends on area. The city I'm in actually has smoking banned 15ft from the entrance of any designated area [including bars]. Further my place of employment's policy is that OSHA requires that employees be able to get to work without having to pass/be impeded by smokers [which means our parking lots are no-smoking as well].

Of course 15ft isn't that much when contrasted to theme park entrances :) .
I believe that the requirement is 20 feet from the entrance here in Cali....Of Course,try explaining that to the County Mental Health Patients who were treated at the building I worked from previously...... :rolleyes:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

KingsIslander
Regular Guest
Regular Guest
Park: Kings Island

Post by KingsIslander » Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 pm

I should mention, I mean the smoking area is placed directly on the park side of the gate employees use to get into the park- we aren't like Disney parks that have extensive backstage areas, we only have two access points for employees to enter and leave the park. And one of them has an easily-movable smoking area placed directly outside it. The other side of the gate is the parking lot for management and some office buildings.

&quot wrote: "You can't arrest me for jogging on the railroad tracks!"
2010-2011: Food and Beverage
2012-Present: Admissions/Park Operations

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 am

WEDFan wrote:Part is certainly entitlement -- they have the God-given right to smoke anywhere they want, but I wonder if part isn't the lack of repurcussions. Does Disney really have any policy around what to do if a smoker refuses to follow the rules? Are they willing to create an issue with someone smoking in an outdoor area? I mean, I can see them being removed if they were smoking in an attraction, but would they trespass someone for smoking rules violations in an outdoor setting?
We most certainly will trespass someone for smoking in the wrong place -- even outdoors -- if they cop an attitude or abuse cast members who ask them to stop. I was involved in one ejection, and while I wasn't informed of the ultimate result, the guest did leave the area in the company of OCSD.

I suspect the logic is that if they won't obey a rule like "no smoking", how likely are they to obey the safety rules?

Zazu

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 am

Thanks for the response, Zazu. As always, a font of information. I'm glad to hear management will support decisive action when needed.

daveinperris
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by daveinperris » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:29 pm

In the 80's, in what I call "used ta land". as in, Videopolis used ta be so awesome, and I miss the lazers in Captain Eo, with the smoke it used ta be so cool, I started working for the Death Star [AT&*] the mostly female employees smoked right at their positions. It was hilarious. Then I married a smoker, and her smoke was the only smoke that bothered me, even though all my friends smoked. In the parks, they could use more signage, and people can ease up on being offended at the mere sight of a smoker. I never smoked, but I am against the anti-smoking Nazi's.

/used to be known as wheelieman

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Zazu wrote:We most certainly will trespass someone for smoking in the wrong place -- even outdoors -- if they cop an attitude or abuse cast members who ask them to stop. I was involved in one ejection, and while I wasn't informed of the ultimate result, the guest did leave the area in the company of OCSD.

I suspect the logic is that if they won't obey a rule like "no smoking", how likely are they to obey the safety rules?
Well, it's not really that simple. It isn't a case of generally obeying rules, it is more of a statement about a specific situation. When I was a smoker, I was absolutely militant about my right to smoke wherever I wanted too. Of course, it wasn't logical. It was emotional. Smokers were under fire (pardon the pun), we were more harshly judged then serial killers, at least that what it seemed like to us. We might have found ourselves outside of a smoking area either by accident or ignorance and, of course, occasionally on purpose.

But when we were approached our feathers would ruffle, our inner defensiveness would awaken and we were absolute a-holes about it. We did follow the other rules though because there were not perceived as a threat to our personal freedom. It didn't take me too long to adjust to the new attitude about smoking and found smoking areas and never smoked in the wrong areas again. It's so much easier now that I have stopped. No guilt, no cravings and no enduring judgmental, BMW Diesel driving folks that felt I was polluting their air. (cough, hack, snort, etc.)

:goofy: :goofy:

bookbabe
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by bookbabe » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Goofyernmost wrote:When I was a smoker, I was absolutely militant about my right to smoke wherever I wanted too.
My dad used to have a sign in his office at work: "Thank you for holding your breath while I smoke."

I found it a lot funnier before he died of lung cancer in April.

Darksin
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Darksin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 am

My only complaint is when people come into my home and bitch that we smoke inside.
Sorry, I don't see YOU making the house payment nor the homeowners insurance nor any other bill that comes to this home so kindly STFU.
If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to stay here! The front door is there.. the back door is over there or you can take my personal favorite exit which is me tossing your ass off the second story deck!

I don't mind smoking outside nor do I mind not smoking next to doors, I try not to be too obnoxious with my bad habits. :D:

[font="Arial Narrow"]~*Crazy Girls have all the Fun*~[/font]
Theme Park News and Tales of Crazy-The Blog!

WEDFan
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by WEDFan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 am

I can't imagine complaining that someone smoked in their own home. I don't even complain when someone is smoking out and about. I have been known to complain when someone throws their butt on the ground, but that is a different matter. I can say this as someone who has to give smoke a wide berth due to asthma. I always appreciate those who follow the rules and keep it in smoking areas that I can easily avoid.