Veteran's Day

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Veteran's Day

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:03 am

Had a Wonderful Veteran's Day at DLR! :)
Found MS in the HUGE crowd at Flag Retreat and nearly brought to tears with the Guest Band, the Cheering from the Crowd, Disneyland CMs honored in their Uniforms,as well as so many Veterans and their Families who came to
attend. A Very Special Vibe of Kindness and Respect amongst us there, everyone was doing their best to help their neighbor enjoy and see. Ernie was Perfect, as always, leading the Retreat.
DLR is already decorated for the Holidays, kind of startled me a little that they are HERE . Enjoyed Dinner at Plaza Inn with MS and her very nice friend, Small World Holiday, the Lights, the Fireworks, and a little shopping ;)

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Swordfish Flotilla
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Re: Veteran's Day

Post by Swordfish Flotilla » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:37 pm

We were at MK (Florida) yesterday, and stuck around for flag retreat. Sorry, but it was quite disappointing. Canned music, unseen announcer over the PA, over and done.
Now maybe the excuse is that everyone was getting ready for MVMCP that night, but still, it WAS Veterans' Day. Compared to a couple years ago, when they had Voices of Liberty and extra musical numbers...
Heck, on most regular days, the normal flag retreat has the Dapper Dans and the Main Street Philharmonic.
Who decided to do an abbreviated version on Veterans Day and WHY? :eek:

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Swordfish Flotilla wrote:We were at MK (Florida) yesterday, and stuck around for flag retreat. Sorry, but it was quite disappointing. Canned music, unseen announcer over the PA, over and done.
Now maybe the excuse is that everyone was getting ready for MVMCP that night, but still, it WAS Veterans' Day. Compared to a couple years ago, when they had Voices of Liberty and extra musical numbers...
Heck, on most regular days, the normal flag retreat has the Dapper Dans and the Main Street Philharmonic.
I hope you went to City Hall and complained to Guest Relations. There is NO excuse not to properly honor our Veterans, especially on the day that is all about honoring them! The only valid reason (IMNSHO) to ever have an abbreviated flag retreat is due to severe weather over the Magic Kingdom at 5:00. Walt Disney was a very patriotic man and he gave the Disney Company patriotic roots. That's why there is a flag retreat ceremony every day. That's why there are American flags all over the place, especially on Main Street, USA (hell, it's supposed to be the 4th of July everyday on Main Street).

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Swordfish Flotilla wrote:We were at MK (Florida) yesterday, and stuck around for flag retreat. Sorry, but it was quite disappointing. Canned music, unseen announcer over the PA, over and done.
You got the 3-days a week cheap version of the flag retreat.

Kurt

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:You got the 3-days a week cheap version of the flag retreat.
Which three days? Probably I'm planning to go on one of them because I always try to pick the quieter days. :banghead:

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:03 am

shilohmm wrote:Which three days? Probably I'm planning to go on one of them because I always try to pick the quieter days. :banghead:
If I'm remembering correctly, it's thurs-saturday that Main St Phil has off, so they cheap out. I last did Flag Retreat day after thanksgiving 2010, so they might have tweaked it.

Kurt

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:05 am

Thank God DisneyLand has Erinie! I just can't imagine WDW not having a special, memorable Veteran's Day Flag Retreat Ceremony. Ernie takes pride in every Flag Retreat ceremony. He knows every step, executed step, every high step, every musical beat, every inch of the parade route his Color Guard must walk to the flag pole area. Even with all the moves memorized he still practices backstage before events with his Flag Retreat officers. We at DisneyLand often take Ernie's Marine Corps perfection & honest passionate dedication for granted. We see Flag Retreat fine quality 5 days per week. We know WDW Flag Retreat offers veterans more than DL seems to. We often wish our Flag Retreat (DL's) could be similar to WDW's. After reading there was no special Veteran's Day Ceremony, with a USMC Color Gaurd & Band, I'll never wish we could have WDW Flag Retreat Ceremony perks again. EVER! Few realize the huge debt we owe Ernie for his absolute loyal passion he feels for & gives Flag Retreat & veterans. Not everything is easy for Ernie as he plans Flag Retreat, yet he continues to provide the most awsome Flag Retreats day after day. Special event or not. Let us at DisneyLand be reminded we have the very finest Flag Retreat because one retired Marine Gunnery Sargent honestly cares about America & loves her Flag.

Kman has been stability for Ernie & Flag Retreat at DisneyLand - especially this last week's rollar coaster. None understand the true Rock Kman is. I must thank him publicly for always stearing with wisdom & needed humor. He gave us a key phrase this last week which inspired. "ERNIE PASSION!" DisneyLand Flag Retreat had ERNIE PASSION Veteran's Day. We will forge ahead with dignity, honor, respect, & ERNIE PASSION daily. Grateful Thank Yous Kman. :usflag:

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 am

Yes MS, we are very fortunate to see Flag Retreat the way it SHOULD be done! DLR has canned music version, fortunately decision was made to do this properly on 11/11. Went to City Hall to commend everyone on way home.

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:48 pm

DisneyMom wrote:Found MS in the HUGE crowd at Flag Retreat and nearly brought to tears with the Guest Band, the Cheering from the Crowd, Disneyland CMs honored in their Uniforms,as well as so many Veterans and their Families who came to
attend.
I was near the front, and was the only Cast Member in a Navy uniform. I found that to be a little surprising. I think I might've also been the only female Cast Member in uniform as well.

Depending on how things go, I may not be in uniform next year. I need to lose weight. The uniform was a tight fit this year. :p:

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by DisneyMom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:11 am

Alyssa3467 wrote:I was near the front, and was the only Cast Member in a Navy uniform. I found that to be a little surprising. I think I might've also been the only female Cast Member in uniform as well.

Depending on how things go, I may not be in uniform next year. I need to lose weight. The uniform was a tight fit this year. :p:
Well, to be honest, I could mostly see only tops of heads due to crowd. Did see Ernie moving in usual precise way ;) I do remember seeing some uniforms,tho! Big Cheer went up for Veteran CMs! :)