Mr. Toad's Removed Drunken Ride

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Mr. Toad's Removed Drunken Ride

Post by Buggy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am

This time next week I will be in Disneyland!

I was mentioning this to one of my friends and we started talking about the differences between Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom and how I was looking forward to riding things I can't ride much closer to home, like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

He replied that MTWR was removed from Disneyland because it glorified drunk driving. I explained that it had -- sadly -- been removed from WDW to make room the the Winnie the Pooh ride, but in Disneyland, the Pooh ride is over by Splash Mountain so MTWR was still there.

He refused to believe me of course, and insisted that it was removed, not for a new ride, but because it glorified drunk driving.

Sigh.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Mr. Toad's Removed Drunken Ride

Post by drcorey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 am

Buggy wrote:This time next week I will be in Disneyland!

I was mentioning this to one of my friends and we started talking about the differences between Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom and how I was looking forward to riding things I can't ride much closer to home, like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

He replied that MTWR was removed from Disneyland because it glorified drunk driving. I explained that it had -- sadly -- been removed from WDW to make room the the Winnie the Pooh ride, but in Disneyland, the Pooh ride is over by Splash Mountain so MTWR was still there.

He refused to believe me of course, and insisted that it was removed, not for a new ride, but because it glorified drunk driving.

Sigh.
Yep, In dl pooh took over the country bears home and put them out. Pooh was no match for drunken frog boy out here.
a timid bear was no match for a mad drunk frog...

Corey

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Last time I was there at DLR, there was still a Mr. Toad attraction. Reckless driving maybe, but why would it be called drunk driving? Is there something in the original story that would indicate that? If so, shame on Toady.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:Last time I was there at DLR, there was still a Mr. Toad attraction. Reckless driving maybe, but why would it be called drunk driving? Is there something in the original story that would indicate that? If so, shame on Toady.
I was wondering the same thing. I don't recall Mr. Toad getting intoxicated at all in the story.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Ms. Matterhorn wrote:Last time I was there at DLR, there was still a Mr. Toad attraction. Reckless driving maybe, but why would it be called drunk driving? Is there something in the original story that would indicate that? If so, shame on Toady.
wasnt that the story?
Toad liked to drink in the town tavern then cause havoc all over town. and the ride relates the time he got wasted and got a hold of a car and drove all over terrorizing the town?
read the wind in the willows.

Corey

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:08 pm

OK, but who in the hell knows that story line now. All I ever thought was reckless driving, but not really that either.

Silly me, I thought it was just a "fun house" ride. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Political Correctness will be the end of us all. Stepford wives here we come. If you think about it, this mind set is worse than prohibition in that it affects everybody, not just those that drink.

But before we all get our panties in a bunch...it is just an unfounded rumor and it should be left to die a quick death. This from someone that isn't even a fan of the Toad.

:goofy: :goofy:

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Hmmm...

If I recall, Mr. Toad does obtain his motor car at a tavern. However, I do not recall them showing Mr. Toad actually drinking there. His reckless (and wreck-ful) driving appears to be merely because he is a reckless sort of person, not because he is drunk.

Amphigorey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Amphigorey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:Hmmm...

If I recall, Mr. Toad does obtain his motor car at a tavern. However, I do not recall them showing Mr. Toad actually drinking there. His reckless (and wreck-ful) driving appears to be merely because he is a reckless sort of person, not because he is drunk.
I agree. I never read it as Toad being drunk, just Toad being completely careless and wild.

Lasolimu
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Lasolimu » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:12 pm

Amphigorey wrote:I agree. I never read it as Toad being drunk, just Toad being completely careless and wild.
This is my impression. As I recall, Mr. Toad was prone to manias, he saw a motorcar drive past and instantly wanted it. He followed the motorcar to a Tavern where he inquired about purchasing it. He traded the deed to Toad Hall for it and drove off wildly causing all sorts of mayhem. Then it turns out that the motorcar was stolen and because it is in Mr. Toads possession, he is accused of stealing it and is arrested. He breaks out of prison and with his friends gets the deed to Toad Hall back and overall clears his name. No drinking at all on Mr. Toads part.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Lasolimu wrote:This is my impression. As I recall, Mr. Toad was prone to manias, he saw a motorcar drive past and instantly wanted it. He followed the motorcar to a Tavern where he inquired about purchasing it. He traded the deed to Toad Hall for it and drove off wildly causing all sorts of mayhem. Then it turns out that the motorcar was stolen and because it is in Mr. Toads possession, he is accused of stealing it and is arrested. He breaks out of prison and with his friends gets the deed to Toad Hall back and overall clears his name. No drinking at all on Mr. Toads part.
thats probully it. it's been like 35 years since I read the story.

Corey