Nemo Subs

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
DDuckLover
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Nemo Subs

Post by DDuckLover » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the alternative experience for people with disabilities is on the Nemo subs? After my knee and tibia replacement as well as having severe drop foot, I am no longer able to go up and down stairs. Well, I can do maybe up to 5...very slowly, with my cane and putting each foot on the step but that spiral staircase is definitely out of the question, I'd break my neck! I know they have some sort of alternative experience, I am just unsure of what it is?

Thanks!

[font="Tahoma"]"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi
[/font]

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Nemo Subs

Post by Disneyguy85 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:18 pm

As I understand it, for the alternate experience people are taken into a nautically themed room and watch a video presentation of the ride. Its presented as if its from an "aqua cam."

...And here is how its described on the actual attraction web page;
"for those unable to negotiate the steps down into the hatch or who simply wish to stay ashore, enter the Observation Outpost at the end of the dock. Manned by a member of the N.E.M.O. Institute, this facility offers a high-definition video version of the voyage via onboard "SubCam.""

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Hey there-

The "MOO" or Marine Observation Outpost is essentially a video of the attraction that looks like it was shot through a porthole on a sub. This sub is perfectly timed, on profile, everything looks as good as it did at open, and is very well done. Plus, you're not crammed in a can full of 40 people, some of which ate beans before getting in the sub, if you catch my drift.

Sure, you don't get the "sub" experience, but it is a good alternative and normally doesn't have a line.

Tony

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

DDuckLover
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by DDuckLover » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks for explaining it a bit more! It sounds interesting, I'll do that while the rest of my family actually goes on the subs themselves.

[font="Tahoma"]"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi
[/font]

WWWD
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by WWWD » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am

I think that Imagineering did a great jog. It's not as immersive (pardon the pun) as the subs, closer to watching a movie but good none-the-less.

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:09 pm

WWWD wrote:I think that Imagineering did a great jog. It's not as immersive (pardon the pun) as the subs, closer to watching a movie but good none-the-less.
Well, there are also physical sets and figures in addition to the projected animation, so I'd say that its better than a movie. Its kind if like a dark ride underwater. I think its still a very immersive experience. Especially when the mine explodes and the warning lights and electrical currents go off in the sub.
I think they did a great job as well.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

The Alternate Sub Experience is Fun (although nothing beats the nostalgia of
taking the plunge ;) )and great for those who have claustrophobia,scared kids,and mobility issues. Both versions are totally charming! :nemo:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm

My friends and I went in the room and watched the attraction. It was good. :)

It is good for those who are in wheel chairs and who are unable to get down a spiral stair case.

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Disneyguy85 wrote:Well, there are also physical sets and figures in addition to the projected animation, so I'd say that its better than a movie. Its kind if like a dark ride underwater. I think its still a very immersive experience. Especially when the mine explodes and the warning lights and electrical currents go off in the sub.
I think they did a great job as well.
Actually, I think WWWD was referring to the MOO as well.
Oh, if I remember correctly, I think the end of the film in the MOO is digitally done, since the attraction wasn't complete when they were doing the editing on the "film." However, it's been a few years, so don't hold me to that.

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Double T wrote:Actually, I think WWWD was referring to the MOO as well.
You know, I think you're right. I guess I just didn't notice at first. :cool: