Grad Night SGTs

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Re: Grad Night SGTs

Post by Shorty82 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:55 pm

turkeyham wrote:I read from a source that the MK will not be hosting Grad Nites in 2012?
That's right, Grad Nites are no more at WDW. Now if they'd only get rid of Night of Joy (or as Cranbiz calls it, Night of Felons). In my limited experience Night of Joy was a LOT worse that Grad Nites. Probably has something to do with the fact that on Grad Nites there are a lot of chaperones, Security is everywhere, and if a senior put even one toe out of line he spent the rest of the night with the chaperones at Tony's, if he was lucky (if he was unlucky he spent the rest of the night in the Security office). During NoJ, on the other hand, there's a severe lack of chaperones and, to a lesser extent, Security. The kids think they can get away with murder.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

hhsrat
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by hhsrat » Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 am

Shorty82 wrote: Now if they'd only get rid of Night of Joy (or as Cranbiz calls it, Night of Felons).
Or, if you understand yiddish ... "Night of Oy"

The views and opinions expressed in this post do not represent those of the Walt Disney Company. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Caution: The moving rubber line is travelling at the same speed as you.

tommy_b
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by tommy_b » Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 am

Of course the Stupidest Guest Tricks on Grad Night were there the ones that got the guest killed. Gerardo Gonzales on the PeopleMover and Philip Straughan who drowned in the Rivers of America.

But I saw a lot more stupid guest tricks than that. One of the stupidest was when I was on the Motor Boat Cruise for Grad Nite. I got there at 9:30PM and the mechanics had decided to leave the boats running since there was a short downtime between closing and reopening.

Motor Boat Cruise was a fave for making out (or more, don't they know we can still see them?) or doing a little 'smoking'. But it still wasn't very popular so we often dispatched empty boats to keep the ride moving and unload guests who were returning.

About midnight a kid came in the exit and hopped in an empty boat that was just leaving. My lead Mike made a half hearted attempt to stop him, but didn't care until 10 yards out of the dock the kid jumped in the water (in his suit). Mike rolled his eyes, kicked off his shoes and swam to the boat because if the kid tried to climb back in he could have been chewed up by the prop.

Mike got in the boat and turned off the engine and fished the kid out of the water. When Mike pulled the kid into the boat the kid crawled into the engine compartment that Mike had left open. So bear in mind this engine has been on for about 15 hours now and is white hot. The kid starts hugging the white hot engine which was when he yelled back to me to call security.

Two security guards were there waiting for him when the boat came back. This 5'10, 125 pound kid tossed the two guards like they were six year olds. They immediately put the call in for Anaheim PD to respond and of course there were some APD guys already at the Inn Between so they were the first there, then they got more help. It took four Anaheim PD to subdue the kid.

This was the first time I had seen PCP (Angel Dust) at work. I am sure the SG woke up in the hospital badly burned with lots of assault charges against him.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm

:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm missing something, but in my opinion, if you feel you need some self-prescribed "artificial enhancements" in order to enjoy yourself at a Disney park, then there is something seriously wrong.

"Night of Joy"? *Googles* Gee, you learn something new everyday around here. This is a Christian music event? So, naturally, crime and other unwanted activities go up. I wonder if it is because the criminals think that security won't expect a crime during a religious event, or if it is because there are some people who just don't get the whole "Thou shalt not steal" thing...

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 pm

PatchOBlack wrote: :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm missing something, but in my opinion, if you feel you need some self-prescribed "artificial enhancements" in order to enjoy yourself at a Disney park, then there is something seriously wrong.

"Night of Joy"? *Googles* Gee, you learn something new everyday around here. This is a Christian music event? So, naturally, crime and other unwanted activities go up. I wonder if it is because the criminals think that security won't expect a crime during a religious event, or if it is because there are some people who just don't get the whole "Thou shalt not steal" thing...
like all budding criminals, a lot of them believe they will not get caught, or that at the most, will get a warning.

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Thu May 26, 2011 12:42 pm

GRUMPY PIRATE wrote:like all budding criminals, a lot of them believe they will not get caught, or that at the most, will get a warning.
Well, yes, but that is true in general. I was wondering what it is specifically about the Night of Joy that seems to increase their numbers.

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:12 pm

PatchOBlack wrote:"Night of Joy"? *Googles* Gee, you learn something new everyday around here. This is a Christian music event? So, naturally, crime and other unwanted activities go up. I wonder if it is because the criminals think that security won't expect a crime during a religious event, or if it is because there are some people who just don't get the whole "Thou shalt not steal" thing...
My opinion is that crime goes up as it is mostly teenagers, away from their parents for the first time and the lack of adult supervision. They think they can get away with murder.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

tommy_b
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by tommy_b » Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 pm

PatchOBlack wrote: :rolleyes:

Well I know I will get ripped for this, but my experience on Night of Joy was that a lot of the tickets for the night were given away to groups that churches were trying to minister to, i.e. World Vision's ministry and others that were not necessarily Christians. The park was not full of just church people.

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

They're using the tickets as hooks to lure the new fish in. :fishlies:

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 pm

hhsrat wrote:Or, if you understand yiddish ... "Night of Oy"
And that is not to be confused with the "Night of Roy" every June 24th where we lift our glasses in tribute to the man who spent his whole retirement working to make his late brother's last dream come true.

Zazu