Policing of GAC Cards

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Policing of GAC Cards

Post by Big Wallaby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Pretty much.

And I feel sorry for the mechanics that work at VM South. That is one crappy job. I know because after you pick up a bus or three there, you shudder when something goes wrong on your bus and they tell you to take it south. You pray that there are no buses there.

There are always buses there.

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:48 am

Big Wallaby wrote:Which brand do you use? They used to sell some to Cast Members. I had some bus drivers tell me how nothing else made their plants grow like it. :hitfan:
Vista GREEN....gotta get some!

mapo

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 am

Today there was a situation about GAC cards that really bugged me. Firstly, there was no line, I didn't know that at the time, but it was the principal of the point, and it was a family without principals. A group of 9 come up with 2 GAC cards, one card can go through fastpass, and the other can not. They ask me if it's ok that everyone goes though since "the other places let them do it". We had a little argument about it for a while, and the guy says "are you really going to make us go through twice?" and I basically said yes. Finally the guy says "whatever" and half go through fastpass and half through stand by. What did they do? Everyone jumps over to fastpass at some point later. There was no line so the guy at merge didn't turn them away.

Right now, I'm just tired of people taking advantage of me and the system, and getting away with it. Both GAC cards had the wheel chair stamp, and yet there was not a single wheel chair in the group. And how many injured people are in their group? One? I couldn't tell, but they were perfectly able to argue with me and skip to the other line.

I mean, I feel bad for sending people who basically look fragile, in a wheel chair, who actually have a GAC card with the wheel chair stamp, down the stand by line.

PatchOBlack
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by PatchOBlack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:46 pm

5th Dimension wrote:Firstly, there was no line, I didn't know that at the time, but it was the principal of the point, and it was a family without principals.
Why should the head of a school be involved in this? :cat1:

Sorry, had to make the joke, just on principle! :cat1:

Seriously, though, assuming that the use of the GAC by the family was valid, they still should have accepted that they would have to follow the rules. Doesn't matter if "the other ride" let them.

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:34 pm

5th Dimension wrote:Today there was a situation about GAC cards that really bugged me. Firstly, there was no line, I didn't know that at the time, but it was the principal of the point, and it was a family without principals. A group of 9 come up with 2 GAC cards, one card can go through fastpass, and the other can not. They ask me if it's ok that everyone goes though since "the other places let them do it". We had a little argument about it for a while, and the guy says "are you really going to make us go through twice?" and I basically said yes. Finally the guy says "whatever" and half go through fastpass and half through stand by. What did they do? Everyone jumps over to fastpass at some point later. There was no line so the guy at merge didn't turn them away.

Right now, I'm just tired of people taking advantage of me and the system, and getting away with it. Both GAC cards had the wheel chair stamp, and yet there was not a single wheel chair in the group. And how many injured people are in their group? One? I couldn't tell, but they were perfectly able to argue with me and skip to the other line.

I mean, I feel bad for sending people who basically look fragile, in a wheel chair, who actually have a GAC card with the wheel chair stamp, down the stand by line.

short answer:

because an SG will complain and try to cheat the system, no matter what.

to heck with everyone else. Don't you know that they are speshull? :rolleyes:

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?

5th Dimension
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by 5th Dimension » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:33 am

PatchOBlack wrote:Why should the head of a school be involved in this? :cat1:

Sorry, had to make the joke, just on principle! :cat1:
Oops, that was a long, bad day, I forgot about that. -_-

Anyway, I know I'm not supposed to judge people just because they don't have a wheelchair, but both GAC cards had the wheelchair stamp. Not a single one of them had a wheelchair, and they had no problem getting from one line to the other.

Teddykeiko86
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Teddykeiko86 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:38 pm

I heard that GACs were only be given out for cognitive disabilities now. :confused:

Which is probably not the case. Either way, just because someone has a condition, doesn't need the need the pass. Which I think a lot of people feel they "get" a GAC because they "have" a particular condition. Which in turn anyone can say they/their child have/has. I have Asthma and Anxiety. I also get sick in the heat easily. I don't get a GAC because I don't really need it. I avoid the park on busy days, and stay in the shade. I know some people can only come when it is hot and crowded. Yes, I know some of the conditions like Autism, make waiting in line difficult. But not every child with Autism has the same needs. Some higher functioning folks can tolerate the moderate length lines. Again, I have seen people lie about these invisible disabilities before. **

I don't think the GAC abuse will ever stop. It is hard not to judge "normal" looking people. You look at them and wonder and just hope they are being honest. I get so defensive about people misusing the GAC that I forget to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Another funny thing I noticed when I worked at a theme park was that the people who actually needed them didn't mind waiting. In fact, some wanted to wait. The people who were most likely abusing wanted instant or shorter waits.

** { aside: I knew the guest was lying because after I issued our park's GAC equivalent for "guests mentally incapable of waiting in line" (AKA: FOL) to them, I noticed they left their hat on the counter. I followed them out to give it to them only to see the disabled child do a 180 and acting totally different (not biting his hands and touching everything, but talking and swearing and acting "normal" [for lack of a better word]). Okay, maybe that is just how it is... but I knew something was up. Then I hear big brother say " I can't believe that f$$$ing worked man!, we don't have to wait for anything now bro!" Oh man was I pissed. I tried to take the card away but they ran off. Called security and they could care less. }

Here is what I would like to see with the GAC:
- Guest's photo printed on higher order GACs ( like the AP photos)
- Digital log of all GACs issued/requested/denied (ask for ID maybe, to prevent same person asking for another GAC in same day)
- Color coded GACs. For Example:
1) Orange- Alerts CM that there should be only one GAC for this group ( for groups over 6 that may try and get multiple cards so they can wait together)
2) Green- alerts CM that this group may have more than one GAC and is bigger than 6
then keep the blue/red for regular issuances (groups less than 6).
- Undercover LP agents for the GAC (okay a little extreme... :p :)

TechieSidhe
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by TechieSidhe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 am

I think that's a great idea. The GAC should be listed under the person needing assistance, or if under 18, their name AND the name of a responsible adult, along with that person's contact info. A picture would also be good, so if none of the six people going through the line look like the cardholder, they can be turned away.

They should also be made to sign a form saying that they understand that misuse of the card will result in revocation or removal from the park, along with a list of rules for using the card.

And it needs to be enforced consistently.

Mayonnaise
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 am

Teddykeiko86 wrote:I heard that GACs were only be given out for cognitive disabilities now. :confused:
I don't think that's right. I do know you don't need one if you have a wheelchair, but I think they still give them for other disabilities that don't come with readily apparent medical equipment or at least they did last September. The first day we were at Disneyland, before we realized he just plain couldn't handle the walking, my fellow was issued a GAC for "no stairs" due to his rheumatoid arthritis making climbing stairs nearly impossible for his knees. For most rides of course it did nothing, them having nice flat queues which, while too narrow for wheelchairs were just fine for a dude with a cane and knee braces, but for those attractions with stairs in the queue they sent us via the wheelchair path, with elevator to the load or direct to the unload platform that didn't require stairs to access. Also the CMs at several attractions where load and unload are significantly separated (at least to our view, maybe you guys have secret doors?) were super awesome about what to do with a cane that didn't fit in the ride vehicle or couldn't go along safely, getting it passed along to the unload just like they would a wheelchair. (We just took it with us in the vehicle on things like "Small World.")

8^)

NemoRanger
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by NemoRanger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 am

5th Dimension wrote:Today there was a situation about GAC cards that really bugged me. Firstly, there was no line, I didn't know that at the time, but it was the principal of the point, and it was a family without principals. A group of 9 come up with 2 GAC cards, one card can go through fastpass, and the other can not. They ask me if it's ok that everyone goes though since "the other places let them do it". We had a little argument about it for a while, and the guy says "are you really going to make us go through twice?" and I basically said yes. Finally the guy says "whatever" and half go through fastpass and half through stand by. What did they do? Everyone jumps over to fastpass at some point later. There was no line so the guy at merge didn't turn them away.
Isnt that considered line jumping? If I saw that I would have called a cordinator or manager to at least meet them at the end of the ride. I know a couple of my managers would have revoked the GAC cards for that. The Managers in my area are really starting to crack down on GAC card abuse.