Policing of GAC Cards

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
tiggerrulz
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Policing of GAC Cards

Post by tiggerrulz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I have been lurking for a while now after having found this site via another board and have enjoyed reading the posts. I do everything I can when I am in a park to avoid becoming an object lesson to others on this board :) On a recent visit I ran in to a situation perhaps someone here can enlighten me on.

First let me start by saying I am Canadian, so am not sure of the regulations with respect to GAC cards - I have seen them mentioned in other posts and have assumed that they are to allow those with physical or mental disabilities to avoid the regular ride lines and enter through a different area.

I just returned from my first visit to Disneyland in 30 years, having spent time in Disneyworld over the last few years, and just wondered if there were any controls on these cards?

The reason I ask is that I spent approxiametly 20 minutes in the single rider line at Toy Story - my wife and I do not feel the need to ride together and the line is generally quicker - and in that time I saw no less than 6 groups come through a line to my left. When I questioned one of the people working the ride they indicated that it was for people who had disabilities and could not wait in the regular line. Fair enough, and I have no issue with that, but why does that allow them to avoid the wait? I understand having a separate entrance, perhaps with shade and a place to rest, but why should they simply get to avoid a wait which was 45 minutes at that point in the regular line? And while I realize that not all disabilites are immediately visible, not one of these groups, and at least one was 10 people big, had a visible physical disability - no scooter, no walker, no cane, no trouble walking through the park to the ride, and not one of them had a person with an obvious mental disability - again I realize that not all of them are visible like you would see with someone with Down's syndrome - a good friend of mine has a young son with Down's syndrome so I know what they deal with on a day to day basis.

Is there no policing of the issue of these cards or how large a group can accompany the person who requires the accomodation?

Not trying to start an argument, as I know this can be a touchy subject, I am just curious.

tiggerrulz
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Re: Policing of GAC Cards

Post by tiggerrulz » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Sorry, what I should have also said, was that I throughly enjoyed my time in both parks and Downtown Disney and will be back.

And that in the time I was in line I saw at least two groups with a wheelchair go through the regular line which started me questioning if they could do it, why were these other people jumping the line.

The question wasn't meant as a slight, only as a way for me to understand how that particular system works.

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Probably have to wait for a CM who works in Guest Services to answer this one. From reading various posts/threads Calif does 'not' question anybody about their claim for a GAC. I know in Ariz you have to have a medical note to get a handicap parking plate/pass. Allegedly the ADA states you 'cannot' deny anyone with a claim. (I could be wrong though,wouldn't be the first time,wont be the last) The city has rebuilt the sidewalk corners 'twice' in my hood and the only person who would use them never does. She prefers to cruise down the middle of the street. I'm going to politely ask her about that some day.
Welcome to the dark side, the marcupials will be along shortly.

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Post by BRWombat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I have no answers for you, tiggerrulz (great name!), just a hearty
:welcome: to :sgt: from :wallaby: and :wombat: !!! :D: :D: :D:

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

Image Image
VocalMajority
Twitter

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Well, Disneyland my be different from WDW, but....

Guests who cannot wait in the regular queue because of emotional or physical challenges are generally made to wait an equivalent length of time before being admitted as you observed. That's not to say they always do -- some attractions simply don't have the necessary waiting areas -- but that's the theory.

As for "policing" the GAC, that's pretty much impossible owing to US law. It requires a licensed physician to examine the guest and determine they do *not* have the claimed disability -- the legal bias is strongly in favor of the guest.

That's not to say that savvy cast members don't find ways, but it has to be done carefully -- you never know who has their lawyer on speed dial.

Any Disneylanders want to explain any differences in California law?

Zazu

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Zazu wrote:That's not to say that savvy cast members don't find ways, but it has to be done carefully -- you never know who has their lawyer on speed dial.
Storytime!

Kurt

Double T
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Double T » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 pm

I just remember:
- If you have a wheelchair, you don't need a card.
- Your card states how many people can enter with it. If the card says five, your group of 20 is NOT going in the accessible queue.
- Some people use the BS line that their kids can't wait in line. That's why you see perfectly normal, healthy people use the line. :confused:
- Sometimes, people use the excuse that they can't use stairs to skip lines. At the subs, this would come back to bite them in the arse, because we couldn't allow them on the spiral stairs that enter and exit the subs. :twisted:

T

"You know Explorers...I have people ask me all the time how these docks have stayed standing so strong for close to 50 years, and I tell them to just take a look..."
"They're covered with mussels."

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by darph nader » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Gee wizz,I don't like standing in lines either. AND I hate crowds,get rid of all these people. :twisted:

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

CA Screamin Dude
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by CA Screamin Dude » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 pm

TSMM at DCA does have a policy of "FASTPASSing" the GAC guests. That is to say, a GAC party approaches TSMM at 5:00pm, when the Standby time is 30 minutes. The current policy allows a CM to write the GAC party an attraction-specific "FASTPASS" that specifies the group may return at, in this scenario, 5:30pm.

Guest Relations may question guests regarding their request for a GAC, but are to take answers at face value in most cases. One may obtain one of the "lower level" GAC's (e.g.: stairs) in this fashion, though Guest Relations is quite discriminate about handing out "upper level" GAC's (front of line). DLR's GAC allows a party of up to six persons to accompany the GA Card holder.

tiggerrulz
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tiggerrulz » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks for the answers. It appears - to a layperson - that these rules were not followed, as each group that came up was immediately loaded on the ride, regardless of how many were in their group - it was like having a group fast pass to a ride that doesn't have them - and while that is a separate question, why doesn't TSMM have a fast pass, it does in WDW.

I too don't like long lines, perhaps I should say I have a phobia about them and get myself a card :twisted:

Unfortunately I would still have to get up every mornign and look myself in the mirror so that wouldn't work - guess I am stuck waiting in lines, hoping for fast passes, or maybe some more rides to develop single rider lines.