I hate the 2fer with the fire of 10000 suns.

Disneyland Resort Cast Members post your stupid guest tricks here. This forum is not for general Disneyland discussion. Please use the Break Room, for non stupid guest trick topics.
Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: I hate the 2fer with the fire of 10000 suns.

Post by Alyssa3467 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:21 pm

DisneyMom wrote:The Guest said, "Well, you don't have to be rude about it" in English? :eek:
Even if they didn't, no one should expect EVERYONE to be fluent in their language.
Agreed. I think it was rather rude of the Guest to assume that she spoke Spanish. I try to keep it to myself, but it irks me a bit when someone walks up to my counter or calls my store (not at Disneyland) and starts speaking Spanish, when I've given no indication that I speak any language besides English.

Makes me wonder what would happen if those people were to travel to other countries where Spanish isn't spoken. Would they *then* bust out one of those traveler's phrase books?

Shorty82
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by Shorty82 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:Agreed. I think it was rather rude of the Guest to assume that she spoke Spanish. I try to keep it to myself, but it irks me a bit when someone walks up to my counter or calls my store (not at Disneyland) and starts speaking Spanish, when I've given no indication that I speak any language besides English.

Makes me wonder what would happen if those people were to travel to other countries where Spanish isn't spoken. Would they *then* bust out one of those traveler's phrase books?
I get that too sometimes and it annoys me. I do not have a language flag on my nametag and I know just enough Spanish to say I don't speak it. (Spanish words may be misspelled) "Me no habla Espanol, un momento." "I don't speak Spanish, one moment." I use the "un momento" part when there's a CM handy that speaks Spanish and I then get them to translate.

There's a few individual words I know (por favor, gracias, de nada, a few others) but I only know that phrase and one other: "por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas." "Please stand clear of the doors." :)

If I don't have a language flag on my name tag please don't assume I speak your language. I want to learn Spanish sometime as it is a handy language to know around here but I haven't yet.

Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
:wwwd:
Keep moving forward

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Post by Zazu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Alyssa3467 wrote:Agreed. I think it was rather rude of the Guest to assume that she spoke Spanish. I try to keep it to myself, but it irks me a bit when someone walks up to my counter or calls my store (not at Disneyland) and starts speaking Spanish, when I've given no indication that I speak any language besides English.
I've been known to answer such calls in German. Seems to calm them right down!

Or not. Isn't like I care much at that point.

Zazu

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Hehe, I don't expect EVERYONE to speak English, so they shouldn't place the same expectation on me to be fluent in THEIR language....Yet, one time there was this crazy lady at our clinic who was quite pissed at me and complaining loudly about me (in Spanish) to our Spanish-Speaking security guard(I had called him) that I SHOULD speak Spanish because I have a Latin heritage. Well, yeah, my Father is bilingual, but my parents divorced when I was little and I didn't see him much after that. Apparently, she wasn't satisfied by just complaining to him, so then she went to my Supervisor to complain about the same thing IN ENGLISH- my Supervisor doesn't speak Spanish either. :rolleyes:

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by turkeyham » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:08 pm

My sister is a LVN and she and I were hanging out in the park the other day. Both me and my sister don't speak spanish. We were in line for BTRR and this SG family kept on pushing us. I turnede around and told the SG to knock it off. The lady says I don't speak English. SG kept it up until I flagged a sweeper down and he contacted the ride operator. That ride operator got on the microphone and gave a speil on pushing others in line. She said it in Spanish too. Of course they continued. I finally pointed at them and said stop. By that time the SG family was being quite a bonehead. I told the ride operator and he stalled them. Security came out and kicked them out of line and out of the park. :mad:

Ms. Matterhorn
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Ms. Matterhorn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 am

turkeyham wrote:My sister is a LVN and she and I were hanging out in the park the other day. Both me and my sister don't speak spanish. We were in line for BTRR and this SG family kept on pushing us. I turnede around and told the SG to knock it off. The lady says I don't speak English. SG kept it up until I flagged a sweeper down and he contacted the ride operator. That ride operator got on the microphone and gave a speil on pushing others in line. She said it in Spanish too. Of course they continued. I finally pointed at them and said stop. By that time the SG family was being quite a bonehead. I told the ride operator and he stalled them. Security came out and kicked them out of line and out of the park. :mad:
Turkeyham, Los Alamitos High has the best Spanish teachers in the state. Too bad you didn't take Spanish from them.

"Excuse me, are those ducks real?"
"Yes, sir, but the water is fake."

Alyssa3467
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Alyssa3467 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:41 am

Shorty82 wrote:If I don't have a language flag on my name tag please don't assume I speak your language. I want to learn Spanish sometime as it is a handy language to know around here but I haven't yet.
I sometimes wear a language flag, and Guests that speak the language in question are often shocked to find that I speak that language. When I point out the language flag, they say they weren't paying attention. :rolleyes:

GuestJockey
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by GuestJockey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 am

Zazu wrote:I've been known to answer such calls in German. Seems to calm them right down!

Or not. Isn't like I care much at that point.
I do the same thing with French!

Guest: Habla Espanol?
Me: No, je suis desole - Je parle Francais?
Guest: Uhm...(backs away slowly)

ktulu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: ktululand
Department: Custodial
Position: Janitor

Post by ktulu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:04 am

GuestJockey wrote:I do the same thing with French!

Me: No, je suis desole - Je parle Francais?
Guest: Uhm...(backs away slowly)
Or Japanese!

Me: Iie, watashi wa Supeingo o hanashimasen.

Or just: Anata wa sugoi baka desu yo!

"People can drink coke and pepsi, but they can't pee in the street."

GRUMPY PIRATE
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by GRUMPY PIRATE » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 pm

ktulu wrote:Or Japanese!

Me: Iie, watashi wa Supeingo o hanashimasen.

Or just: Anata wa sugoi baka desu yo!
I think you should learn the Klingon phrases!!

heheheheheh

or speak Pirate at 'em?

Arrrrrhhhhh!!!!

RUM?

:pirateflaARRRRRRR YA DOIN'?