James Brown, Bruno Mars, & a haka -- this is BARBERSHOP!

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

James Brown, Bruno Mars, & a haka -- this is BARBERSHOP!

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:59 pm

An amazing performance from this past week's BHS International contest in Nashville, by New Zealand chorus VocalFX:

[video][/video]

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: James Brown, Bruno Mars, & a haka -- this is BARBERSHOP!

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:02 pm

And while I'm posting, check out this unreal medley from Hunchback of Notre Dame by Swedish quartet Ringmasters, our 2012 champs. Hard to believe just four voices can do this! Do yourself a favor and crank up the volume.

[video][/video]

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:46 pm

BRWombat wrote:An amazing performance from this past week's BHS International contest in Nashville, by New Zealand chorus VocalFX:

[video][/video]
Just out of curiosity... does the lady have a specific roll with the chorus? She didn't seem to be singing or directing, just dancing. It was OK, but, was very unusual, I would think.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Goofyernmost wrote: Just out of curiosity... does the lady have a specific roll with the chorus? She didn't seem to be singing or directing, just dancing. It was OK, but, was very unusual, I would think.
Good question. She is actually their director. The BHS being a men's singing organization, she can't sing onstage, but at this level of competition, she -- and all the directors of other choruses -- are more performers than directors anyway.

I saw one chorus, Parkside Harmony, just 18 months old and at their first International competition, where they barely had ANY directing going on. They all just faced the audience and performed. They were outstanding -- and placed eighth! (VocalFX placed sixth overall.)

Here's the winning chorus, the Ambassadors of Harmony out of St. Charles MO, their 4th win. Although their two directors do overtly direct most of the time, watch how they'll join in the dancing and performing themselves.

[video][/video]

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 pm

BRWombat wrote:
Goofyernmost wrote: Just out of curiosity... does the lady have a specific roll with the chorus? She didn't seem to be singing or directing, just dancing. It was OK, but, was very unusual, I would think.
Good question. She is actually their director. The BHS being a men's singing organization, she can't sing onstage, but at this level of competition, she -- and all the directors of other choruses -- are more performers than directors anyway.

I saw one chorus, Parkside Harmony, just 18 months old and at their first International competition, where they barely had ANY directing going on. They all just faced the audience and performed. They were outstanding -- and placed eighth! (VocalFX placed sixth overall.)

Here's the winning chorus, the Ambassadors of Harmony out of St. Charles MO, their 4th win. Although their two directors do overtly direct most of the time, watch how they'll join in the dancing and performing themselves.

[video][/video]
I thought it must be something like that, but, there was no identifying situation in the video. Anyway, I'm glad I don't do that anymore, because I would look like a fool trying to either remember the words or the moves and being as clumsy as I am, would probably fall all over people.

I remember when we used to go to competitions, we had to remain rigid, arms by our side and no unneeded movement was allowed. You would lose points for random movement at the time. (We're talking the early 60's here) Those guys are good too. I still hear you guys once in a while on Pandora in the Buffalo Bills station.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Goofyernmost wrote: ...

I remember when we used to go to competitions, we had to remain rigid, arms by our side and no unneeded movement was allowed. You would lose points for random movement at the time. ....
Yeah, the style is always evolving. In fact, we're in another style shift right now. The contest last week was the last to use the judging category called Presentation; it'll now be called Performance, and they're explicitly trying to go toward a more natural feel to performances. There will still be choreography, but "moves for the sake of having moves" will not be rewarded as much as moves which enhance the music. Less artificial emotion, more sincerity, that sort of thing.

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:18 pm

BRWombat wrote:
Goofyernmost wrote: ...

I remember when we used to go to competitions, we had to remain rigid, arms by our side and no unneeded movement was allowed. You would lose points for random movement at the time. ....
Yeah, the style is always evolving. In fact, we're in another style shift right now. The contest last week was the last to use the judging category called Presentation; it'll now be called Performance, and they're explicitly trying to go toward a more natural feel to performances. There will still be choreography, but "moves for the sake of having moves" will not be rewarded as much as moves which enhance the music. Less artificial emotion, more sincerity, that sort of thing.
To be honest, that sounds more professional and real. I am amazed that you guys can sing and do all that movement at the same time. At least big recording artist can lip sync. But, I'm probably old school. That movement does make a good show if the sounds of feet stamping and elevations creaking don't drown out the music. I've seen it do that as well.

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by BRWombat » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:16 am

Goofyernmost wrote:To be honest, that sounds more professional and real. I am amazed that you guys can sing and do all that movement at the same time. At least big recording artist can lip sync. But, I'm probably old school. That movement does make a good show if the sounds of feet stamping and elevations creaking don't drown out the music. I've seen it do that as well.
In Vocal Majority we've always tried to value sincerity and heart over flash, though I'm sure we've crossed that line many times.

As for the singing, the outside choreographer we bring in is herself a singer -- in fact, a barbershop chorus singer, with her mom being a longtime director of a championship-level Sweet Adelines chorus -- and she is masterful at creating moves and effects that still keep our "core" (the singing mechanism of our abdomen, torso & head) in line and supportive of quality singing. The front row gets any truly acrobatic stuff, while those of us on the risers have smaller moves which echo or enhance the full visual picture without sacrificing our singing.

Edited to add: If you want to see what this looks like in action, go back and look at our winning uptune from 2014 on YouTube. Not just for the front row versus risers moves, though you'll see that. There's one part, around 1:45 in, where the entire chorus "collapses" in. Watch the guys on the edges of the risers and you'll see how they're bending their knees and keeping their core straight as they lean in.

I've been doing this for almost ten years now, and I am still awed by the amount of talent behind the scenes -- visual, musical, administrative, everything -- that is involved in this "hobby."

Goofyernmost
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Goofyernmost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:04 pm

BRWombat wrote:
Goofyernmost wrote:To be honest, that sounds more professional and real. I am amazed that you guys can sing and do all that movement at the same time. At least big recording artist can lip sync. But, I'm probably old school. That movement does make a good show if the sounds of feet stamping and elevations creaking don't drown out the music. I've seen it do that as well.
In Vocal Majority we've always tried to value sincerity and heart over flash, though I'm sure we've crossed that line many times.

As for the singing, the outside choreographer we bring in is herself a singer -- in fact, a barbershop chorus singer, with her mom being a longtime director of a championship-level Sweet Adelines chorus -- and she is masterful at creating moves and effects that still keep our "core" (the singing mechanism of our abdomen, torso & head) in line and supportive of quality singing. The front row gets any truly acrobatic stuff, while those of us on the risers have smaller moves which echo or enhance the full visual picture without sacrificing our singing.

Edited to add: If you want to see what this looks like in action, go back and look at our winning uptune from 2014 on YouTube. Not just for the front row versus risers moves, though you'll see that. There's one part, around 1:45 in, where the entire chorus "collapses" in. Watch the guys on the edges of the risers and you'll see how they're bending their knees and keeping their core straight as they lean in.

I've been doing this for almost ten years now, and I am still awed by the amount of talent behind the scenes -- visual, musical, administrative, everything -- that is involved in this "hobby."
Very nice and I see you got a lot of air time in that video. :biggrin: