Disney rules in Pittsburgh

A place to be entertained. Videos, jokes, games, and more.
Forum rules
At the old Disney Hyperion Studio, the screening room where animators would show animated scenes to Walt for his approval was small, with no ventilation or AC. Not only was it hot, but the animators were nervously awaiting Walt's reaction to their work. Thus, the room became known as the Sweatbox. Even after the Studio moved to Burbank and elegant screening rooms were offered to the staff, the moniker remained.

Now SGT has a sweatbox of our own. This is the place to find and post all entertaining topics such as video links, jokes, games, and the like. A general rule of thumb is that if the thread is meant to be informative (interesting news stories for example), or a topic for discussion (like setting up a park meet) then it should go in the Break Room, but if the intent is to entertain the masses then it's home is The Sweatbox. I'm sure there will be grey areas at times, so if you have doubt as to where a new thread should go, just use your best judgement and the SGT Staff will be glad to move it later if you guessed wrong.
BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Department: Offsite Harmony
Position: Back Row Baritone

Disney rules in Pittsburgh

Post by BRWombat » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 pm

...At the International convention of the Barbershop Harmony Society that was held in Pittsburgh this past week, that is. I was there with the Vocal Majority, the outgoing champs, to "sing away the trophy." This year's winning chorus, Westminster (from SoCal), won with stunning renditions of two Disney songs: "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Seize the Day." I'll post videos when they're available.

But you have to see this video. This is a hilarious medley of "good old songs twenty years from now" by Main Street, a quartet made up of current or former WDW Dapper Dans and/or Voices of Liberty members (Mike McGee, Myron Whittlesey, Tony DeRosa and Roger Ross):

[video][/video]

Main Street came in third in this year's contest, but this medley was the highest-scoring single song in the contest!

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Disney rules in Pittsburgh

Post by BRWombat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

I apologize for that video link going bad within hours of when I posted it. The Barbershop Harmony Society is a notorious stickler for not letting any videos of performances stay posted unless they've pre-cleared every bit of licensing they think might be necessary, whether it is or not. And then we're at their mercy as to whether they choose to pursue (and pay for) licensing for any particular performance -- some amazing performances never see the light of day again because of it.

The good news is that this particular medley by Main Street was the most demanded performance of the Pittsburgh International, so they eventually nailed down all the permissions necessary to release it -- and it's already nearing 400,000 views on YouTube. Enjoy, at last:

[video][/video]

BRWombat
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Disney rules in Pittsburgh

Post by BRWombat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Re-reading my initial post, I'd promised the videos from Westminster Chorus that won them the 2015 International Chorus Championship. A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes hasn't been posted officially, but here's their amazing performance of Seize the Day:

[video][/video]