Incredibly Intelligent Theme Park Tricks

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Buggy
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Incredibly Intelligent Theme Park Tricks

Post by Buggy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 pm

So I had this conversation with the wife:

Me: You know how I'm trying not to give money to companies whose ideology I disagree with, like Pappa John's or Hobby Lobby or Chik-Fil-A?
Her: Yes?
Me: Well, I think we ought to give more money to companies who do things we agree with politically. And I know the very one.
Her: (suspiciously) Oh?
Me: Yes, Walt Disney World will be hiring all their part time workers on to full timer so the get better heath coverage over Obamacare.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10 ... full-time/

(Only difficulty: she gets no income until the Gov't is funded again. Sigh.)

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Incredibly Intelligent Theme Park Tricks

Post by Zazu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm

This article is bunk. Cast members who average 25 hours/week or more are forced to full-time (losing seniority and some rights in the process). Any who don't want that have to call off to limit their time. I know one CM who lays off half of November and all of December each year because his department would persist in working him too many hours.

Conversely, full-time cast who don't work an average of 30 hours/week are forced to part-time, losing their pay rate, benefits, seniority, and decent health care. They are also limited to an average of less than 25 hours/week after conversion. Sucks to be in a job that works 25-29/week; you get bounced back and forth and never get any seniority!

The Company already converts those who work 25 hours/week, much less 30, into full-time cast with corresponding benefits. The number cited in the article -- 427 -- is a tiny fraction of the 68,000 cast members at WDW, and might represents those being force-transferred this cycle.

If this does represent a change, it's because the Contract provides for looking at time worked over an extended period (one year), and the Affordable Care Act may measure hours over a shorter time. Again, this is consistent with the minute number of cast affected. It's also consistent with Disney working hard to deny improved health coverage to part-time cast.

The ACA standards are very likely to be a factor in the upcoming Contract negotiations -- present Contract expires 29 March 2014.

Zazu

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: Incredibly Intelligent Theme Park Tricks

Post by avengador1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:49 pm

It's not all casts members, it is only some. There also is some controversy because of seniority issues.