Disney to add on to Grand Floridian

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Disney to add on to Grand Floridian

Post by avengador1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 am

Disney Confirms Grand Floridian DVC Add-On.
http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/29959507/detail.html
I also heard that they might be completing the walkway from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian and are adding a draw bridge to the canal to accomplish this.

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: WDW
Position: retired

Re: Disney to add on to Grand Floridian

Post by Zazu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm

avengador1 wrote:I also heard that they might be completing the walkway from the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian and are adding a draw bridge to the canal to accomplish this.
That would be awesome, and move some of the annoying joggers from The Big Toaster to the Red Roof Inn. I wonder if they will continue to operate the GF/P/MK launch service if that happens?

Zazu

Big Wallaby
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Big Wallaby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 pm

That seems like an awfully small area for an addition. And, let's see... at a resort where everyone parks across the street anyway...

My opinions are mine and mine only. If my opinions are the opinion of others who happen to share whatever my crazy views may be, then fine, but it's not because I represent them in having my opinions. Got it?

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:37 pm

you know the sad thing.. i knew about this addition 2 years ago...

Some one send Iago over and wake me up when they start construction on the WDW Master Parking Area... opps did i just let out a secret about the parking garage... Oh well.. we didnt need the NASCAR speedway anymore anyway/

The Doctor

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Doctor McKey wrote:you know the sad thing.. i knew about this addition 2 years ago...

Some one send Iago over and wake me up when they start construction on the WDW Master Parking Area... opps did i just let out a secret about the parking garage... Oh well.. we didnt need the NASCAR speedway anymore anyway/

The Doctor
No comment.
Oh wait, they didn't make me sign an NDA on anything and then just threw me out.

Grand Flo DVC's biggest challenge is the parking. The lot across the street averages something around 98% utilization, and the occupancy for the resort is generally up there too. The valet lot on the other hand stays really empty. So the solution I recommended is to flip the lots around and put at least part of valet across the street and turn the big lot into the general parking. The wedding pavilion lot is also going to need defending more now as people park there for theme park access all the time. Really, all the monorail resorts have a parking shortage and the problem is that the guards are too lenient on letting people in.

As far as centralized parking, that's on the long term plan once they figure out how to fix the transportation infrastructure. There's been studies about the surface road congestion around the TTC during the evening and park exit and it shows a good amount of gas/time is being wasted by busses sitting in their own traffic. The idea is to reconfigure the entire set of stuff around the TTC to not force everything down into that one stop sign outside the poly.

Kurt

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:08 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:Really, all the monorail resorts have a parking shortage and the problem is that the guards are too lenient on letting people in.
Shouldn't be an issue for the Contemporary for the next month. Parking there is in hard close (reservation required) until some time in January.

Why? Because one of the main tower's elevators is down for the duration, and they want to minimize foot traffic so tower guests don't have to wait so long.

Now, if we can just get them to keep the tourons from parking in the cast lot there....

Zazu

kurtisnelson
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here
Park: WDPR
Department: Industrial Engineeri
Position: Former

Post by kurtisnelson » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Zazu wrote:Now, if we can just get them to keep the tourons from parking in the cast lot there....
I thought it had one of those remotely opened gates on it?
Just wait till one parks there on perimeter fireworks night and gets barricaded from their car.

Kurt

Zazu
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Zazu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 pm

kurtisnelson wrote:I thought it had one of those remotely opened gates on it?
It does, but since any delay there quickly backs up and blocks World Drive, they leave the gates open during peak start times.
Just wait till one parks there on perimeter fireworks night and gets barricaded from their car.
Gave that up a long time ago. Security can't use pepper spray and we had too many barricades run over.

Trouble is, there isn't even an "Authorized Parking Only" sign. If they'd put one of those up, Reedy Creek could issue parking citations that cost more than Parking. That'd shut it down pretty quickly.

Zazu

shilohmm
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by shilohmm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Zazu wrote: Why? Because one of the main tower's elevators is down for the duration, and they want to minimize foot traffic so tower guests don't have to wait so long.
Do people just wandering through use the elevators that much? I've never stayed there, but I've wandered through any number of times, and never used the elevator. Never gone to the California Grill, either, but I thought that had a dedicated elevator-?

Zazu wrote: Trouble is, there isn't even an "Authorized Parking Only" sign. If they'd put one of those up, Reedy Creek could issue parking citations that cost more than Parking. That'd shut it down pretty quickly.
Parking sounds like a nightmare for those staying at any of the MK or Epcot resorts a lot of the time. When we're touring the resorts we leave the van at the Wilderness Lodge for the monorail resorts, and at the Yacht Club for the Epcot ones, and have never had any trouble finding a spot, but the real problem seems to be coming "home" in the late afternoon or evening to a packed lot.

Although to be honest I figure Disney keeps the parking tight to encourage onsite guests to use the buses and other transportation; even if the parking lots were much more restricted, it's a fair walk in from a lot of them, what with the ponds and things dividing the hotel from parking lot. But you'd think they'd make more of an effort to protect employee parking.

Epeyon
Repeat Traveler
Repeat Traveler

Post by Epeyon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

It's been known around TTC for a while that was going in and for the most part everybody's been pretty ambivalent about how it'll work. I think right now everybody's just hoping it won't be a money/view sucking eyesore like Bay Lake Towers.

They won't be able to get rid of the boat service on Seven Seas unless they return to the old monorail hours, or begin running a bus out of the Magic Kingdom bus loop for the resorts, which they could do whenever they finish the third loop.