WDW Cast Member "Shocked" By Monorail System

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
IndyandMarion
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: WDW Cast Member "Shocked" By Monorail System

Post by IndyandMarion » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Doctor McKey wrote: I dont know the voltage used to power the strobe.... i don know from experiance that if you hold onto thge rotator arm in the passanger area of the train and grab a metal railing at a station.. you will get a 24 volt shock... used to do it for fun =-)
The Doctor
Oh. Oh, I am so trying this the next time I'm out th. . . Oh that's right, I CAN'T! :rolleyes:

But if I ever get back out there, this is the first thing I'm doing. If they try to stop me, I'll throw a fit and use the 'You've ruined my vacation" card. :rolleyes:

A good photograph means knowing where to stand

Doctor McKey
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro
Park: magic kingdom
Department: the dungeons
Position: former slave

Post by Doctor McKey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

IndyandMarion wrote:Oh. Oh, I am so trying this the next time I'm out th. . . Oh that's right, I CAN'T! :rolleyes:

But if I ever get back out there, this is the first thing I'm doing. If they try to stop me, I'll throw a fit and use the 'You've ruined my vacation" card. :rolleyes:
Well.. their is no cost to riding the monorails.... get bussed in from DTD and try it out... as far as pilots stoping you.. most dont even know about it.. and those that do like to sit back and watch everyone when the find out on their own!!

Note from Big Wallaby - This guy snorts pixie dust! Ask me for details...

LadySiren
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by LadySiren » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:48 am

===== WARNING: RANTING BELOW =====

Doc, I hear you 110%. I work with the media on a daily basis; it's one of the joys of being a professional PR flak and business writer.

There's an old cliche - "if it bleeds, it leads" and sadly, it's SO true. The news business has fallen so low...it used to be an objective source of information and occasional commentary. Today's news however, is nothing but tabloid, jingoistic pulp journalism. Sometimes, I feel dirty after working with these guys and gals.

Now, I don't agree with what the media had become, but I understand the reasons why it is what it is. Declining readership for ink-and-paper publications has the newsies on the run. Ditto for once-respected broadcast outlets and reporters. They're bleeding red ink these days. Therefore, the more sensationalist the story, the more "eyeballs" they're likely to catch. It becomes a self-perpetuating cycle, unfortunately.

Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite must be rolling in their graves. We'll never see the likes of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein again; instead, we have Larry King. The once mighty and respected media is now at best nothing but a collection of bought-and-paid-for hacks who know how to use a thesaurus. At their worst, they're the National Enquirer with better branding but a lower readership. God help my children if they decide they want to go into journalism. :mad:

/endrant

ziplu
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by ziplu » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm

BRWombat wrote:Oh... That's what's causing that tingling feeling. I never saw the link before! :p:

Edited to put "saw the link" instead of "made the connection." It's scary when the puns flow without conscious intent. :o:
You should of left it the way it was. Comments like that are why I love this board!!

GaTechGal
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by GaTechGal » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Doc, my first thought when listening to the report was why bring up the accident from last year. It was TOTALLY unrelated except that it was from the same attraction. I really feel for the families and co-workers that have to keep hearing about it. That's why I so seldom watch local news. It's all murder and mayhem.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 pm

I am frequently shocked by the high prices.. :eek:

Corey

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Over on themeparkinsider.com, there's an account of someone who was electrocuted by a ride when they touched a metal handrail. It had just passed inspection, so they had no idea where the current came from until they literally took the ride completely apart. A wire with frayed insulation was found at a point that would've sent a charge to the handrail in question; it was in a part that wasn't accessible to normal maintenence. The death was ruled accidental. If it's not on themeparkinsider.com, they have a link to another site; should be there.

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:08 am

Doctor McKey wrote:Well.. their is no cost to riding the monorails.... get bussed in from DTD and try it out... as far as pilots stoping you.. most dont even know about it.. and those that do like to sit back and watch everyone when the find out on their own!!
OK, first..no bus goes from DTD directly to MK.

Second...WTF! People SUCK....and media 'people' need to make a new artificial reef off Florida...

How the hell they got that incident and missed so many other juicy ones that happened that day beats me! Not that those need to be on the news either.

Only thing I can think of frankly is that another idiot CM decides to make a call cause "ooooh...I know something that everyone needs to know!"

Do us all a favor. If you hear another CM make one of those calls or talk to guests on stage about this crap, drop a statement to HR or call the Safety Line. Seriously.

MAPO

avengador1
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by avengador1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:43 pm

One of the female monorail pilots received a shock a couple of weeks ago while driving one of the monorails. I had just disembarked from that monorail when the incident happened. It was struck by lightling as it left the station. She walked into Westgate a short time later complaining about her arm hurting from the jolt and was on her way to seek some medical attention. She said she had to use her other arm to drive to the next stop. All of us at the station she left saw and heard the lightling and thunder shortly after the monorail left the station. At that time we didn't know what had happened. I was on my way to clock out when it happened.

Freak
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Freak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:19 am

Not monorail related, but back when I worked @ Knott's...

One night at the GT&C Railroad (one of the few times I was actually SCHEDULED there and not pulled, LOL) it was a slow night. Not many guests hopping on board, working with a guy I had just finished training a month or so ago...pretty gravy night.

Then the engine pulls into the station and I notice the back half of the train was dark. I waited till the train stopped and talked to the other conductor. He said the lights and PA randomly went out half-way through the loop. Since we weren't busy, it wasn't a big deal to down the attraction. (Was going to down it regardless, but not having to deal with people who complain about "waiting the whole time till the train got back" makes it just a bit easier)

My lead, one of the engineers, and I think a manager showed up. They all went and looked at a few things, thinking maybe it was something obvious...Well, it was..sort of. Turned out one of the power cables that hooked up between the coaches had frayed and finally separated enough to where it failed to carry power. The engineer went up and tried to smoosh the cables back together and presumably tape the cable back together.

Too bad he forgot the steam generator was still on. I'm not joking when I say he got blown back 5 feet and blacked out for a couple of seconds. Got a full dose of the current that the steam generator was pumping through the power cables. We ended up replacing the whole cable after that.

Engineer was okay, but I sure hope that was the last time he decided to try that stunt again. :eek: Gotta be careful around electricity.

RIP Bud Hurlbut.

You will be missed.