Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Re: Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 am

We in Entertainment had all signed a card and had it sent to the correct department in Sea World employees in the wake of their tragedy. We all know the feeling of loosing a co-worker or cast member - so it was appropriate that we expressed support. No throwing stones as to who is at fault, no finger pointing, no "assuming" this and "assuming" that - it is simply a tragic accident and a life is lost. They ARE indeed taking it very hard.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

tink70
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tink70 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:We in Entertainment had all signed a card and had it sent to the correct department in Sea World employees in the wake of their tragedy. We all know the feeling of loosing a co-worker or cast member - so it was appropriate that we expressed support. No throwing stones as to who is at fault, no finger pointing, no "assuming" this and "assuming" that - it is simply a tragic accident and a life is lost. They ARE indeed taking it very hard.
I can imagine, they are a team just like many other coworkers and friends and it was a terrible accident. I think it's great you all are supportive of the SW crew during this difficult time, I can imagine how hard it's been for them with all the debating going on in the media and general public.

tink70
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tink70 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

tink70 wrote:I can imagine, they are a team just like many other coworkers and friends and it was a terrible accident. I think it's great you all are supportive of the SW crew during this difficult time, I can imagine how hard it's been for them with all the debating going on in the media and general public.
Oops, I also meant to add losing a great friend and coworker. I hope they all find peace, the SW folks and her loved ones.

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:23 pm

http://www.fourninjas.com/

This website has a T-Shirt design created in memory of Dawn. With each shirt sold, a portion of the sales will go to a memorial fund. Help out if you can.

[font=Comic Sans MS]"I don’t think I’ve ever made that big a fool of myself, which is really saying something, because I’ve performed at theme parks."[/font]
- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by February » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Sarah Magdalene wrote:We in Entertainment had all signed a card and had it sent to the correct department in Sea World employees in the wake of their tragedy. We all know the feeling of loosing a co-worker or cast member - so it was appropriate that we expressed support. No throwing stones as to who is at fault, no finger pointing, no "assuming" this and "assuming" that - it is simply a tragic accident and a life is lost. They ARE indeed taking it very hard.
Good on all of you there in Entertainment for showing such kindness and entirely appropriate support of the Sea World staff as few others could. Thanks for telling us all about the card that was sent, I am sure that they really appreciated it.

bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

Sarah Magdalene
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by Sarah Magdalene » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 am

February wrote:Good on all of you there in Entertainment for showing such kindness and entirely appropriate support of the Sea World staff as few others could. Thanks for telling us all about the card that was sent, I am sure that they really appreciated it.

bru
Before my time with them, there was a rather public tragedy that affected Entertainment - especially parades - greatly. So everyone who has been with them for the last five or so years knows how hard workplace loss is. With the card, it was a way to show that we feel as they feel.

- Blaine Anderson, GLEE

tink70
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tink70 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 am

Sarah Magdalene wrote:http://www.fourninjas.com/

This website has a T-Shirt design created in memory of Dawn. With each shirt sold, a portion of the sales will go to a memorial fund. Help out if you can.
Thanks for the link :)

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 am

In an update to this story, the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has found that SeaWorld Orlando willfully violated Federal Workplace Safety Regulations, and has fined them $75,000 in penalties.

In it's response, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment annouced that it will appeal, claming that OSHA is unfamiliar with marine care.

Los Angeles Times: OSHA fines SeaWorld for worker safety issues following orca trainer's death

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 am

glendalais wrote:In an update to this story, the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has found that SeaWorld Orlando willfully violated Federal Workplace Safety Regulations, and has fined them $75,000 in penalties.
Very comprehensive interview last night on LKL - CNN. I understood much more. Am a news nut.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]