Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

Post by Disneyguy85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Belgarion42 wrote:He was being a whale.

All the more reason why whales should not be in captivity in the first place. I imagine that a large mammal like a whale would be better off in the ocean rather than in a small tank. (Unless of course they were recovering from injury or something to that degree.)

As I said before, this is very sad news for everyone involved.

And I realize that you were not addressing me personally, but I want to make clear that I NEVER suggested that Tillikum was being mistreated by any of the Sea World staff.

I only said that in some cases, animals can be mistreated while in captivity in general. That's a fact.

Having said that, I wish all of the Sea World staff well during this difficult time.

Honda Enoch
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Honda Enoch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Belgarion42 wrote:I won't say it's impossible that the whale was mistreated or abused, but I think it's very unfair to just make that assumption up front. It does happen in places. It does happen with certain people. Generalizing to all and applying to this specific situation, though, just doesn't seem right to me.

The trainer that was killed loved her job and loved working with and being with orcas. From what I have read, she had a very good relationship with them. Tilikum was not being "bad" as applying a moral distinction to his behavior is unrealistic. He was being a whale. What caused the incident (and death) is not yet known, but it's not that he was bad.

Read this article and honestly tell me that a woman like that would abuse an animal: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 7984.story

Like Main Streeter said "Maybe not this trainer but others."

Those whales don't just wake up one day and say "I'm going to eat someone."

"You know me. I'm that little voice inside that tells you..."

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Honda Enoch wrote:Like Main Streeter said "Maybe not this trainer but others."

Those whales don't just wake up one day and say "I'm going to eat someone."
they might. my 2 year old rat I raised from a baby once tryed to gnaw off some fingers. I just opened her cage door like every morning to change food and water and soon as the door was open she hissed and ran up to me and trying to take off a finger.
all the other times she was really happy to see me, soon as her door was opened she would beg to be picked up and held.

Corey

hobie16
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR
Department: Fruity Drink Land
Position: Mai Tai Face Plant

Post by hobie16 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:02 pm

drcorey wrote:they might. My 2 year old rat i raised from a baby once tryed to gnaw off some fingers. I just opened her cage door like every morning to change food and water and soon as the door was open she hissed and ran up to me and trying to take off a finger.
All the other times she was really happy to see me, soon as her door was opened she would beg to be picked up and held.
Maybe PMS?

Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
--- Matt King

Stay low and run in a zigzag pattern.

Honda Enoch
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Honda Enoch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 pm

drcorey wrote:they might. my 2 year old rat I raised from a baby once tryed to gnaw off some fingers. I just opened her cage door like every morning to change food and water and soon as the door was open she hissed and ran up to me and trying to take off a finger.
all the other times she was really happy to see me, soon as her door was opened she would beg to be picked up and held.

NO, they DON'T!

As for your rat. Every morning you opened the cage, reached in and TOOK her food and water, changing it or not, all the rat knew was her food and water was being taken away. Or maybe as Hobie said, maybe the rat was in heat.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Honda Enoch wrote:NO, they DON'T!

As for your rat. Every morning you opened the cage, reached in and TOOK her food and water, changing it or not, all the rat knew was her food and water was being taken away. Or maybe as Hobie said, maybe the rat was in heat.
Rats don't menstrate.
thou maybe she just woke up on the wrong side of the nest that day. she hasn't done it since and still is my fuzzy buddy.
maybe I should have the ol' beast fixed. or she is going blind and my hand smelled like a foe. note to self: Feed Rat FIRST.

Corey

Honda Enoch
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Honda Enoch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm

drcorey wrote:Rats don't menstrate.
thou maybe she just woke up on the wrong side of the nest that day. she hasn't done it since and still is my fuzzy buddy.
maybe I should have the ol' beast fixed. or she is going blind and my hand smelled like a foe. note to self: Feed Rat FIRST.
They do go into heat.

CujoSR
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by CujoSR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 pm

I've seen my loving cat try to bite me without provocation, I've had her wig out when sitting quietly on my lap, tell me that this event is no different. The size of the animal is the only difference I can see. When the cat flips out I get a few scratches, when a killer whale flips out... Well you know the result. My point is any animal is prone to act out of the norm from time to time, in this instance sadly a life was lost.

Kifaru
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Re: I was steamrolled by SG's during Fan guest control

Post by Kifaru » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:05 am

turkeyham wrote:Last night and this morning I was reading on my computer web page that there was a accident at Sea World Fl. A trainer by the name of Dawn Bracheau 40 years old was killed by a male killer whale Tilikum. Dawn was grabbed by her ponytail and dragged underwater. The whale was also playing with her. She drowned. The park re-opens today. RIP Dawn.

She was one of 2 trainers when Mo, Sherri and I went in October of last year. Tilukum was the main whale in the show and also when we had the after the park dinner show. :(
that's hardly comparable to getting run down by stroller wielding tourists... isn't there a thread dedicated to this story?

Tillikum is an Orca. Not. A. Whale.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tink70
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tink70 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:55 am

CujoSR wrote:I've seen my loving cat try to bite me without provocation, I've had her wig out when sitting quietly on my lap, tell me that this event is no different. The size of the animal is the only difference I can see. When the cat flips out I get a few scratches, when a killer whale flips out... Well you know the result. My point is any animal is prone to act out of the norm from time to time, in this instance sadly a life was lost.
Excellent point, I've had my cats do the same thing, begging for attention and "scratchies" as we call them<scratching their ears>and then they'll hiss and whack at us for no obvious reason. Definately not Tillikum's fault, he was just being a whale. I did hear a few reports today though debating whether Dawn broke policy by being on the slide out so close to Tilli's mouth. There has been a home video released showing Dawn laying on her stomach patting Tilli on the nose while laying close to him. It's obvious she loved her whales and her job very much :(