Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

Post by Disneyguy85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am

dazyhill wrote:You would not be able to release the orca back into the wild-at least not without a lot of complications. You would have to locate the original pod the orca belonged to and since the orca in question is 30 years old, there is a slim chance of finding the exact pod.
Hmmm..Yeah...You've got a point there.
Well, one thing is for sure, Tillikum doesn't seem very happy!

All around; very sad story.
DisneyMom wrote:I'd personally rather just see them quietly swimming in their tank if they must be in captivity for research purposes.
I agree.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:01 am

Honda Enoch wrote:People are always so quick to say the animal was bad or ill tempered, but no one sees the way the trainers mistreat the animals.
Will agree with you Honda. Maybe not this trainer but others. :mad: Tillikum was confined to an area no larger than a bathtub to the Orca. They are very social animals who need others, & become stressed doing the same foolish tricks daily. The death of this beautiful trainer was man's fault, NOT Tillikum's, yet Tilli will suffer. :twisted: Tillikum was taken from a park in Canada with a history. Tilli was only to be used for breeding & education. What happened to this agreement btwn the parks? A child told me today; "Tillikum just thought the trainer was a toy." Out of the mouths of babes we should learn. A huge double tragedy.

"You work here? You must be SO rich!"

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

glendalais
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by glendalais » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 am

Jim Atchison, Chairman/CEO, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, has released the following statement:
It is with great sadness that I report that one of our most experienced animal trainers drowned in an incident with one of our killer whales this afternoon, February 24, 2010 at our SeaWorld Orlando park.

We have initiated an investigation to determine, to the extent possible, what occurred. There are no other details to share at this point, but we will make our findings known in due course.

I must emphasize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time for the SeaWorld parks, and our team members.

Nothing is more important than the safety of our employees, guests and the animals entrusted to our care. All of our standard operating procedures will come under review as part of the investigation.

We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the trainer and will do everything possible to assist them in this difficult time.

We appreciate everyone’s understanding and will share more information as it becomes known and available
Such a shame to heard that this has happened :( .

Hopefully, SeaWorld P&E will take the opportunity to make substantial changes to prevent another occurence, and not just short-term measures meant to ride out the media scrutiny. There have got to be better ways to entertain the public than making giant whales perform pony tricks.

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:57 am

glendalais wrote:There have got to be better ways to entertain the public than making giant whales perform pony tricks.
Thank you glendalais! You stated this extremely well.

RESCUE A PET! [font="Arial Black"]Within the heart of every stray Lies the singular desire to be loved.[/font]

mapo
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Post by mapo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:02 am

This incident is devastating. My heart goes out to the cast (human and non) at Sea World park.

After our own devastating tradgedies and near-misses at WDW, I understand all too well how the media can blow/slant things in the early hours of a travesty.

Please let them take the time to sort out what happened and figure out how they all can move forward from this event. Even now I can tell you that things are probably not how they seem via our buddies in the media.

Imagine how all of the monorail family and WDW cast in general felt after our not so distant deaths. The second guessing, the investigations, the media and nasty guest attention -- all while people are in shock and need to move to the grieving stages. All while having to work day in and day out. I know that many over there are not going to sleep tonight simply because they will need to sort out a plan -- even if they close for a day or two. A number of us here have been through that...and more.

Worse, imagine that Mickey went and did some action that resulted in a death. How horrific it would be in people's psyche and devastating to our Company! THAT is what happened.

The animal cast member representing Shamu did something that resulted in a human cast member to die. Imagine the impact of that event on those employees and guests who love Sea World like you love Disney.

Please, give them a chance to get the truth out. Give them the chance that no one gave us -- do not fall into the media grismill.

To the Sea World family -- Good luck and God bless. I am here if you need to talk....

MAPO

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 am

glendalais wrote:Hopefully, SeaWorld P&E will take the opportunity to make substantial changes to prevent another occurence, and not just short-term measures meant to ride out the media scrutiny. There have got to be better ways to entertain the public than making giant whales perform pony tricks.
Agreed.

turkeyham
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Re: I was steamrolled by SG's during Fan guest control

Post by turkeyham » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

Last night and this morning I was reading on my computer web page that there was a accident at Sea World Fl. A trainer by the name of Dawn Bracheau 40 years old was killed by a male killer whale Tilikum. Dawn was grabbed by her ponytail and dragged underwater. The whale was also playing with her. She drowned. The park re-opens today. RIP Dawn.

She was one of 2 trainers when Mo, Sherri and I went in October of last year. Tilukum was the main whale in the show and also when we had the after the park dinner show. :(

Belgarion42
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Belgarion42 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm

felinefan wrote:I didn't get a chance to read the article--time constraints due to library computer--but if the orca had a violent history, who's fault is it that it was being made to perform? I smell a lawsuit in the offing....
As I understand it, this particular whale was not performing with people in the water. They always kept people out of the water when he was performing because of his history.

Honda Enoch wrote:Million dollars says the trainer(s) abused the whale. Just like way back when the 2 whales crushed the trainer years ago.

People are always so quick to say the animal was bad or ill tempered, but no one sees the way the trainers mistreat the animals.
I won't say it's impossible that the whale was mistreated or abused, but I think it's very unfair to just make that assumption up front. It does happen in places. It does happen with certain people. Generalizing to all and applying to this specific situation, though, just doesn't seem right to me.

The trainer that was killed loved her job and loved working with and being with orcas. From what I have read, she had a very good relationship with them. Tilikum was not being "bad" as applying a moral distinction to his behavior is unrealistic. He was being a whale. What caused the incident (and death) is not yet known, but it's not that he was bad.

Read this article and honestly tell me that a woman like that would abuse an animal: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 7984.story

glendalais wrote:There have got to be better ways to entertain the public than making giant whales perform pony tricks.
Are the behaviors scripted/rehearsed? Sure. But they are all natural behaviors that whales do in the wild. No behavior (that I'm aware of anyway) is forced on them or is out of character for what an orca would do.

mapo wrote:This incident is devastating. My heart goes out to the cast (human and non) at Sea World park.

After our own devastating tragedies and near-misses at WDW, I understand all too well how the media can blow/slant things in the early hours of a travesty.

Please let them take the time to sort out what happened and figure out how they all can move forward from this event. Even now I can tell you that things are probably not how they seem via our buddies in the media.

Imagine how all of the monorail family and WDW cast in general felt after our not so distant deaths. The second guessing, the investigations, the media and nasty guest attention -- all while people are in shock and need to move to the grieving stages. All while having to work day in and day out. I know that many over there are not going to sleep tonight simply because they will need to sort out a plan -- even if they close for a day or two. A number of us here have been through that...and more.

Worse, imagine that Mickey went and did some action that resulted in a death. How horrific it would be in people's psyche and devastating to our Company! THAT is what happened.

The animal cast member representing Shamu did something that resulted in a human cast member to die. Imagine the impact of that event on those employees and guests who love Sea World like you love Disney.

Please, give them a chance to get the truth out. Give them the chance that no one gave us -- do not fall into the media grismill.

To the Sea World family -- Good luck and God bless. I am here if you need to talk....

MAPO
Very well said, Mapo. I could not agree more.

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm

This just on ABC news-
Tilli grabbed the trainer by her hair as she leaned over the tank-trainers were not allowed in the water with Tilli reportedly. The Orca will remain on exhibit.
Unable to describe adequately how horrible this is for all involved. :(

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Main Streeter
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by Main Streeter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Belgarion42 wrote:The trainer that was killed loved her job and loved working with and being with orcas. From what I have read, she had a very good relationship with them.

Read this article and honestly tell me that a woman like that would abuse an animal: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 7984.story
Very well thought out & stated Belgarion. I certainly did not mean the SW trainer or any at SW had abused Tillikum. Doubt Honda was pointing a finger at SW either. Tillikum is 30 yrs. old & did come from Canada, & probably her native ocean pod before Canada. There "could have been abuse" someplace in Tillikum's past which surfaced or was triggered. We will never know the answer. To blame SW &/or the trainer was absolutely not my intention. Blaming humanity as a whole for mistreatmeant in many ways....yes.