Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

News about Theme Parks and their parent companies.
February
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

Post by February » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry if someone else already posted this...

it's heartbreaking. I feel so bad for her family especially considering this whale had a violent history. No one should've been near him.

This is why I've never thought it was a good idea for people to pretend that wild animals can be tamed to put in shows. You just don't want to mess with a 12,000 pound bull orca.

So sad for the audience too that had to see :(

May she rest in peace.

~bru

Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another’s trouble.
Courage in your own.
~Adam Lindsay Gordon

"...and only fireworks will light the sky at night
for all the world can see." ~Keane

darph nader
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Trainer killed by whale at Orlando Sea World

Post by darph nader » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Saw this on the opening page for the inter-net,sad. :(

Beer....The reason I get up every,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,afternoon.

felinefan
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by felinefan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 pm

I didn't get a chance to read the article--time constraints due to library computer--but if the orca had a violent history, who's fault is it that it was being made to perform? I smell a lawsuit in the offing....

Honda Enoch
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by Honda Enoch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:19 pm

Million dollars says the trainer(s) abused the whale. Just like way back when the 2 whales crushed the trainer years ago.

People are always so quick to say the animal was bad or ill tempered, but no one sees the way the trainers mistreat the animals.

My family and I were at a local circus last weekend. I (like many others) had the video camera running, when the ring master close fist hit one of the lions in the head for not doing the trick. Within seconds every side had in the tint was running around telling people to put their cameras away.

"You know me. I'm that little voice inside that tells you..."

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:27 pm

That Orca obviously does not like being in captivity. They should just release it into the wild.

For a while now I've been thinking that animals should not be trained to do funny tricks just for the amusement of people. And in some cases animals can also be mistreated, which is not cool.

drcorey
Should be on Payroll
Should be on Payroll

Post by drcorey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:40 pm

but he only took a few bites and quit.

Corey

dazyhill
Regular Guest
Regular Guest

Post by dazyhill » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 pm

You would not be able to release the orca back into the wild-at least not without a lot of complications. You would have to locate the original pod the orca belonged to and since the orca in question is 30 years old, there is a slim chance of finding the exact pod. This is why it was so difficult returning Keiko (Free Willy) back to the wild. So much time had elapsed and in the end, Keiko was never able to interact with other orcas. He preferred the company of people. The last few years of his life he enjoyed swimming near an Icelandic (?) harbor town.
Of course, if the orca was bred in captivity, then releasing him into the wild is not an option. He does not have the skills to survive.
I feel terrible for this woman's family. I read this trainer wanted to train whales ever since she was a little girl and saw them at a Sea World park.

tink70
Wide-eyed Newcomer
Wide-eyed Newcomer

Post by tink70 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm

dazyhill wrote:You would not be able to release the orca back into the wild-at least not without a lot of complications. You would have to locate the original pod the orca belonged to and since the orca in question is 30 years old, there is a slim chance of finding the exact pod. This is why it was so difficult returning Keiko (Free Willy) back to the wild. So much time had elapsed and in the end, Keiko was never able to interact with other orcas. He preferred the company of people. The last few years of his life he enjoyed swimming near an Icelandic (?) harbor town.
Of course, if the orca was bred in captivity, then releasing him into the wild is not an option. He does not have the skills to survive.
I feel terrible for this woman's family. I read this trainer wanted to train whales ever since she was a little girl and saw them at a Sea World park.

My understanding is Tillikum was captured years ago when the marine parks still went out and captured orcas. So while he was not born in captivity he has been in captivity for so much of his life he most likely wouldn't readjust if released. I was just @ SW in FL last year and saw Tillikum myself, he is the largest orca in a marine park and is easily almost double the size of some of the other orcas. It's just so sad all around, my thoughts & prayers are with this trainer's family and how they must be feeling right now :(

DisneyMom
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
Park: DLR Guest
Department: Churro Inspection
Position: In Line for POTC

Post by DisneyMom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Terrible :(
I just saw a clip on TV a few days back of an Orca repeatedly slamming a trainer "in play" and was at Sea World San Diego post another incident where it seems they had cut down the show to cause less stress on the whales.
I think that as long as there is big money involved, the show will go on. I'd personally rather just see them quietly swimming in their tank if they must be in captivity for research purposes.

:flybongo: NO BULL!!!!!:D:

Disneyguy85
Practically Lives Here
Practically Lives Here

Post by Disneyguy85 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 am

dazyhill wrote:You would not be able to release the orca back into the wild-at least not without a lot of complications...
You've got a point...
I realized a lot of that shortly after I posted.

Well, one things for sure, Tillikum doesn't seem to be very happy!

All around; very sad story.